Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nick Kett
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CCR reliability issues

Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:42 pm

Over the past two years we have deployed 6 CCR1036 devices.
To date we have had 50% of them fail... they either just go dead, or into terminal reboot cycling.
On investigation the problems have been.
 One unit with failed power supply.
One with melted heatsink cover and CPU fail. 
One with blown on-board power supply components.

One unit has been at Mikrotik Latvia for repair over 2 months.
All were installed in aircon rooms and fully conditioned UPS supply (Big copearte data centers).
We are loosing confidence in this hardware...
Anyone else with better esperance?

SystemErrorMessage

Re: CCR reliability issues

Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:13 am

I've had this problem too. Problem is with the PSU, i first notice this issue when a raspberry pi powered from usb from it froze up after a few hours requiring reboot. Every other device or router that powers the raspberry pi doesnt have any issues.

It seems that when you give engineers a large voltage range to work with they will give you a crappy PSU. Im looking at designing my own instead so at least these poor mikrotik customers will at least get some fix. The PSU in mikrotik is produced by some other company that made a very small footprint PSU which lacks cooling. Some of the PSU looks solid in the sense of design such as big chunky capacitor and with good caps used in some places, lots of transistors with a bit of heatsink and RF protection but lacking in components. the internal environment temperatures of the CCR get very high that components can fail. Im talking 50C which is what many components are rated for at max.

if only mikrotik would use the other 2 fan connectors and put fan at PSU as well.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:05 am

+1 the problem is the cooling design in the CCR's

The fans cool the CPU but not the rest of the enclosure. This means the PSU fails prematurely :(

We have had 3X CCR1036 fail now. All in Tier3+ data centres, all had PSU failures.

As well as fixing the cooling, a PSU with Active PFC would be a good idea in equipment targeted at data centres.

djdrastic

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:51 pm

I've had 2 CCR1036-8G-2S+ die on me as well with what appears to be bad power supplies in a very very cold MDF room , so it seems there is a design/cooling problem.
I'll look into your suggestions SystemErrorMessage regarding Thermalpaste etc as per your other thread.

Nick Kett
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:06 pm

Hmmm
I beginning to think the "cloud" in cloud core refers to the smoke they emit. :(

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:19 am

I beginning to think the "cloud" in cloud core refers to the smoke they emit. :(
hahaha.
None of ours emitted smoke.   They started randomly rebooting, then eventually would not boot at all.

geneb
just joined

Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:57 am

I run all of mine on an external 24vdc system, so none have failed.  I just which I still had two separate power inputs on the board and 48vdc input.