Community discussions

MikroTik App

lz1dsb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Flashfig - not enough flash space

Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:52 pm

I'm trying to use the Flashfig program to upload a configuration to a RB962 (hAP ac) router.
This feature is quite interesting but I've got the following issues so far:
1. I used an export from the router to copy the configuration I would like to upload. It's a production router I would like to clone. So the upload was listed as successful in the Flashfig. After starting the router though, I found that my configuration was partially applied.
2. So I decided not to do the .rsc file myself. So I used and export and than copied the .rsc file on the router's flash memory. I downloaded it and loaded it into Flashfig. The upload starts, but... I've got and error message like "<Router-MAC-Address>: RB962: not enough flash space. Ignoring."

So even though the above message is quite descriptive. There is a lot of free memory on this new router:
[admin@MikroTik] > system resource print
uptime: 13m10s
version: 6.36 (stable)
build-time: Jul/20/2016 14:09:10
free-memory: 105.2MiB
total-memory: 128.0MiB
cpu: MIPS 74Kc V5.0
cpu-count: 1
cpu-frequency: 720MHz
cpu-load: 7%
free-hdd-space: 5.5MiB
total-hdd-space: 16.0MiB
write-sect-since-reboot: 556
write-sect-total: 6376
bad-blocks: 0%
architecture-name: mipsbe
board-name: hAP ac

Has anyone encountered this? And how can I resolve this?

Regards,
Boyan

lz1dsb
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Flashfig - not enough flash space

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:24 pm

A few days passed and here are the lessons learned:
1. If you apply an existing configuration, it's better to use an export to a file. Than work with the file that RouterOS generates.
2. Test your configs with the import function. I found that RouterOS will implement the configurations up to an error and will stop there. It's easier to troubleshoot with import as you get a more detailed error message.
3. With the import watch out for the for the existing configuration. Add additional lines in the beginning to wipe it out or change it. And watch out not to cut off your access. What I found easy and effective was to reset the router, than use the commands at the end of the default configuration to remove all default configs and than apply my import. I do it over Winbox via the MAC address of the router, to make sure I don't loose access.

So that's it. Flashfig works, but be aware what kind of configuration file you sent to the device.

Boyan