Community discussions

MikroTik App

Omega16
just joined
Topic Author

CRS226-24G-2S+ issue - hangs

Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:27 am

Hello

I have bought a new CRS226-24G-2S+ switch and I connected it to my router.
Router with Mellanox MT26448 [ConnectX EN 10GigE connected to switch SFP+2 port with S+DA0001 cable.

Switch software is 6.36 and firmware 3.22. RouterOS setting are default (with the exception that i have setup a public IP for remote connection and turned off SSH and browser login. Only winbox login is allowed).

When it work, it's all OK.

But, the problem is like that: every week (after 6-7 days since boot) , the switch behaviour becomes very strange: If I ping the switch IP from my router or from outside my network, I have no data loss. But if I ping any server or other switch connected to the Mikrotik switch (ethernet ports), I have between 95-100% ping loss. I can tell right now what is CPU load when this happens.
Off course, the not the ping is the problem, but all traffic is broken.

I have checked the logs, but there is no entry that might indicate the problem. If I reboot the switch, all traffic becomes normal.

Any ideeas regarding this issue? It turns to be very annoying for my customers being down every 6-7 days. Schefuler reboots are not an option.

Thank you

Omega16
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS226-24G-2S+ issue - hangs

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:16 pm

Anybody ?

Shall I throw it up to the garbage and buy some other vendor (Not necessarily more expensive) ?

Thank you

mpreissner

Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:14 pm

First, nobody can begin to postulate on what the issue may be that's causing this behavior, as you haven't provided much information regarding your setup. Second, this is a user forum, and while many MikroTik employees are active here, is not the official MikroTik support channel. If you're having a problem that impacts your users, contact support@mikrotik.com. While the user population is generally helpful, we're not paid support staff, and many of us may have not seen this behavior, so we can't exactly help you out on it.

And comments like "Should I just throw it in the trash..." really don't make anyone want to help you, so please avoid making them.

Omega16
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:24 pm

First, nobody can begin to postulate on what the issue may be that's causing this behavior, as you haven't provided much information regarding your setup. Second, this is a user forum, and while many MikroTik employees are active here, is not the official MikroTik support channel. If you're having a problem that impacts your users, contact support@mikrotik.com. While the user population is generally helpful, we're not paid support staff, and many of us may have not seen this behavior, so we can't exactly help you out on it.

And comments like "Should I just throw it in the trash..." really don't make anyone want to help you, so please avoid making them.
First off all, I did not look up for the perfect answer or the exactly fix. But, many times, a hardware/software behaviour might have been seen by other users....so I wanted to know if someone else met this issue and how did he fix it.

Secondly, I wrote to Mikrotik support and no reply for a while. When they send me a reply, they were asking if not my end equipments (servers and switches) connected tot the mikrotik switch were not actualy the problem. No, my end servers are not the problem! If I had only one server connected, I could understand that this server might be broken. But what are the chances that all servers go bad in the same time ? :)

Regarding the switch config, I can not say much. I have not made to many changes. I disabled web login, ssh for security reason, I setup a public IP for management, changed password (of course). I do not run any firewall rules, ACL, BGP, Qos or other features.

The sfpplus2 is connected to the router , ether1 is master (any other ethernet port has setup ether1 as master), all ports (including sfp) have switch: switch1. The switch mode is: Router (default). Its just a switch, what kind of settings should i make in order to work like a switch ? :)

Regarding the trash, its my first mikrotik hardware....till now, bad experience. I have cheaper non enterprise hardware that works correctly. I liked this mikrotik switch because it had 2 sfp+ port and the price is kind of small. I was going to change my routers with some ccr1036, but i dont think i will do this no more.

Thank you

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:38 pm

Since CRS does not have RSTP support, it is possible that broadcast loop can cause congestion on links.
But it is just a guess, loop can be verified with packet sniffer or torch on the router.

I would suggest to contact support with detailed description and attached supout file

Spike
just joined

Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Same problem. The solution found ?

SystemErrorMessage

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:27 pm

i have the same problem and been complaining about it for months. The router part itself isnt the problem its the switch part which mikrotik seems to be terrible at. Basic features like RSTP isnt even present and layer 2 and 3 loops do happen a lot. I have the exact same CRS and it loops when i use LACP, when i change which port the router or devices are connected to.

A lot of the issues with this switch is caused by the absence of basic features like RSTP and route tables/learning. I can confirm the loop issue because my CCR complains about possible loops in log on the interface connected to the switch.

No matter how much i complain about this to mikrotik they wont fix the issue. They promise it in routerOS 7 but its a long way before routerOS 7 gets released. Both the cloud series for mikrotik arent exactly reliable for any critical or datacenter use yet. Dual PSU with switch is vague since you would need to use POE and the DC input at the back. CCRs with single PSUs have issues from the PSU itself failing within a year and cooling design not so good for non CPU components.

Mikrotik has the OS that is good as a router but cant meet today's demands with the OS features and some of the hardware (switch, CCR reliability). None of mikrotik routers with switch chips have RSTP on the switch itself.

doush
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:12 pm

I have reported the same issue to Mikrotik maybe its been a year but I had no useful info.

I sent them the supout fils multiple times, offered them live access to the switches but got either no response, or "nothing is wrong"

Switch simply stops passing traffic. I can log in to it, nothing in the logs or whatsoever. Reboot it, traffic starts again.

We are living with this issue for some time now.

We changed 4 CRS with a Dlink. Problems gone.

2 CRS left to be changed.

Mikrotik wont solve the problem.
Period.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 am

I would have said it sounds like a broadcast storm/loop.

As OP hasn't posted much of any information about his CRS it's difficult to look and see if there are any config issues that could cause this.

Have you updated rOS?

Omega16 your input to this thread has been brilliant, how have you helped OP at all?

Omega16
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:44 pm

What the hell is "OP" ?

Have you read all posts from this topic? Of course I updated this garbage. Also, as i mentioned many times, there are no custom configs (the switch has most of its basic configs). The only things I have changed: management IP, password and shutdown ssh, telnet, www services )only winbox allowed and api / api-ssl).

No VLAN, No ACL, No Qos, NO, No routing.....NO NOTHING. It is used like every cheap switch.

I have sent supout.rip to mikrotik support !!! No answer ! No nothing !

My mikrotik switch is a piece of s*** ! Garbage ! My network is down because of this ENTERPRISE READY garbage.

YES ! I am mad ! A new switch that is junk !

Phaere
just joined

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Same issue here.. Switch chip on CRS226 just hangs. Management works fine, i can login to switch and see traffic in management vlan passing by.
But other VLANs stopped. Reboot solves the issue immedeately.
Two of three switches in same location are affected. All of them connected to Brocade Turboiron 24X with duplex MM modules.
I'm doesn't see issue for about 5 months but it came back today.
One switch on latest bugfix release, other on 6.34.6 if it matters.
P.S. Using a lot of CRS125 in production and never seen issues like this before, so it's only broken on CRS226.

jriera
just joined

Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 am

We have the same problem here, three CRS226 installed and all fail randomly, sometimes take months and sometimes several failures in the same week.

Suddenly it stops passing traffic to the VLANs... we reboot and it works. There is no complicated configuration, only VLAN.

We use RouterOS v6.40.2

Any ideas?

jriera
just joined

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Any idea about the problem?

jriera
just joined

Fri May 11, 2018 3:36 am

Solution?... The CRS226 to the trash and change it for CRS326. Incredible but true. I'm sure there's a bug or hw problem but mikrotik just ignores it, and pulls out a new model.

KillerOPS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:38 am

I also have this issue. The switches randomly stop forwarding traffic, or just forward only some kind of traffic. A reboot fixes everything. I have around 10 CRS226-s around, and only some of them do this thing.
It might also be related to power somehow, as they usually freak out after a power surge (obviously they are on UPS).
We would like some update from Mikrotik regarding this thing. It's a little bit funny that you can still buy the CRS1x series, but all CRS2x are not available anymore, so definitely they know something about this.

expo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat May 29, 2021 5:54 am

I have this exact issue on a crs210 and when replaced with new it's still occuring. Every week or so the switch will randomly stop passing traffic, some traffic will still pass approximately 5% of the normal traffic volume, access to the switch via win box is never a problem and always works fine a quick reboot will solve the problem immediately.