Community discussions

MikroTik App

ivicask
Topic Author

cAP very bad wireless perfomance

Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:35 am

So we got one of this for an customer, but i cant get any good performanse out of it, in best case i can get around 30mbit on speedtest from this router, i tried reseting it to factory, upgrade latest software but nothing helps.In most occasions we get around 5-10mbit, doesnt matter if im near router or 10m away, in connection stats everything looks okay, but real life stats are very bad.

See pic from my HTC10 connected to it, i can get max 25mbit, and most cases barely10mbit, standing near router 3 meters (tried puting it further)
Izrezak.PNG
What could i be doing wrong?Or this unit is bad, or entire series is just bad?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lmns

Re: cAP very bad wireless perfomance

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:11 pm

The cAP has only a single stream and is 2.4 GHz only. So you are limited to ~45 MBit/s TCP throughput with 20 MHz channel width at best. Certainly the throughput will be lower if there are interferences with your channel.

5 - 10 Mbit/s isn't great, but it's totally normal for 2.4 GHz these days. It's an extremely crowded wifi band.

ivicask
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Connection states 150mbit connection, and if you see my screneshot it shows around 120mbit throughout, i got many other 150mbit routers around here from various manufcaturers and when i connect them i can get up to 100mbit speeds without problem.

Also there is only one another 2,4ghz network in range and that HAP AC we have, and its in totlly different channel, thats not the issue.

lmns

Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:56 pm

Connection states 150mbit connection, and if you see my screneshot it shows around 120mbit throughout.
150 Mbit/s is the PHY-rate, not the TCP throughput. You are comparing two different things. Plus the 150 Mbit/s can only be achieved with 40 MHz channel width which is hardly usable with 2.4 GHz, so you're down to 75 Mbit/s PHY-rate. Since wifi is half duplex you'll only get around 40 to 45 Mbit/s TCP troughput.
i got many other 150mbit routers around here from various manufcaturers and when i connect them i can get up to 100mbit speeds without problem
Those have probably a 2x2 MIMO configuration unlike the cAP which has only a single stream.
Also there is only one another 2,4ghz network in range and that HAP AC we have, and its in totlly different channel, thats not the issue.
So there's no device on the same channel? No bluetooth device, no microwave?

ivicask
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:53 pm

After talking to support, forcing router to only g/n helepd a bit, its stable around 20mbit now.

At home i got metal 2SHPn and i get over 100mbit without problem(connection rate shows 150mbit)

So whats the actual deal?If what your saying is true, why is this router even showing 150mbit on my phone if it cant achieve barerly 30, and the routers i tried are pretty old ISP routers i got laying around, and definitely dont have 2x2 ..

Theres no router on same chan, i installed over 50 various mikrotik routers i know some "basics", i use channel usage scanner and set least or no used chan, this is first cAP mikrotik router i got and so far can say its utter shit..

And no mikrowave or anything, and router was tried on 3 different locations, networks, Internets, switches (customer, my company and i tried it even at home)

lmns

Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:57 am

So whats the actual deal?If what your saying is true, why is this router even showing 150mbit on my phone if it cant achieve barerly 30
As I said, you compare the PHY-rate to TCP throughput. Those are two different things. The 150 Mbit/s isn't what you get with TCP. It's just the Layer 2 data rate.

I know, it's confusing, but that's how the marketing works. Every manufacturer does this.
At home i got metal 2SHPn and i get over 100mbit without problem(connection rate shows 150mbit)
I don't think that's even possible. Care to share some benchmarking results? Maybe btest with TCP?

Maybe you're right and the cAP should get you higher troughput, but based on my experience ~30 - 40 Mbit/s TCP seems reasonable with 20 MHz, a single chain and a clear channel, but not much more. It would really suprise me if you could get 100 Mbit/s TCP out of a single chain configuration with your Metal.

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:10 pm

Do you all realise that cAP router does not exist?
What are talking about?

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:13 pm

InoX
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:30 pm

It really exist :D
Anyway 100mbps from a single chain seems a little to much.
40-70mbps in 40mhz is ok, one chain
20-30mbps in 20Mhz is ok, one chain

ivicask
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:42 am

Well im getting 20-30mbps in 40Mhz on this router, well anyways, after switching it to g/n only its geting stable 20-30mbit(out of 40mbit ADSL speed) and customer is happy now, as before it couldn't even watch youtube in 1080 or stream movies as it would buffer/lag randomly..

I dont have time to investigate this anymore, but for sure ill think twice before i sell this ceiling AP from mirkotik again to any customer, i never encountered such bad performanse from any mikrotik router(so far was perfectly satisfied with all of them)..