Community discussions

MikroTik App

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Servicing and silencing the CCR1036

Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:10 am

I wrote a guide on how to service and silence the CCR1036. I changed the PSU but didnt put photos of the new PSU and configuration i used but i modified the cooling used that it worked well for my usage so i have been using a CCR1036 that is quieter than a ubiquiti edgerouter pro.

Link: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/silenc ... ost-278665

So for those who use it at home or in a datacenter for critical things there is hope. I suggest using a reliable PSU if you use your CCR in a critical environment because whoever made the PSUs for mikrotik didnt put much into it since mikrotik routerboards have a flexible voltage input range. But the stock PSU failed nonetheless due to the high temperatures in the chassis itself. Chassis cooling is one of the reasons for the PSUs failing so i suggest placing the PSUs outside the chassis.

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Re: Servicing and silencing the CCR1036

Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:10 pm

update: After replacing the PSU and extensive testing i can confirm that the original PSU in the CCR1036 is lacking in quality. The laptop PSU i use is much better in the sense that i am able to power a raspberry pi 2 for days now with no freezing whereas with the original PSU the raspberry pi 2 would freeze within a few hours.

Mikrotik really needs to sort out who makes their PSUs for them, give them a stricter spec to abide by rather than the entire voltage range available. I know on the board there are also capacitors and power regulators but its best to have the PSU output a DC voltage as clean as possible. Cooling is another problem as without any sort of active cooling, a PSU running at much higher temperatures cant reliably output as much amps.

For a product that is intended for use in datacenters this is indeed shameful. Consumer routers are plagued with bad PSUs and mikrotik isnt a consumer router. I just hope those CCRs with dual PSUs are from a much better supplier with some form of cooling.

djdrastic

Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:28 pm

I have 1 CCR1016-12S-1S+ , with one dead PSU already (after 6 months or so) so I don't think the issue has been fixed in the Dual PSU Models.

SystemErrorMessage
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 pm

The PSUs in the CCRs are terrible but at least you have dual PSUs so your router doesnt have to go down. I noticed the dual PSU models have fans in the PSUs in some pictures but i dont know if it stuck with production.

If you want to fix the PSU take a look at the capacitors, voltage regulators and mossfets as these are the components very likely to fail. To test the capacitors you will need a special meter to check the internal resistance. For the regulators and mossfets you can test with continuity. You dont have to use the same components used in it, you can get better (like better branded capacitors) or better regulators or mossfets that will perform the same task.

I know chinese made PSUs are terrible in quality even for the price but as long as its not a shoddy manufacturer/supplier basic components like resistors, transistors should do fine as long as they dont lie about the specs.