Community discussions

MikroTik App

lunchboxrts
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Google Project FI

Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:10 am

Anyone using Google Project FI with mikrotik? If so which mini pcie/usb dongle works, any tricks?

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Google Project FI

Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:04 am

Hey There,

I am also looking to get a project fi connection working with a mikrotik device. Did you have any luck? If so, which USB Dongle or ePCI card did you use? Could you share your configuration? Which Mikrotik device did you use? Also, in your area, which network are you finding you are connecting to?

I hope you had luck! If not, I will share what I come up with and if I am successful.

Cheers!

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:45 pm

I can tether my fi-phone to a Mikrotik RB951ui-2hnd running v6.37.5 and set to factory defaults if this is what you are looking for?

1. Plug your fi phone into the USB on the router.
2. Set the phone to tethering
3. Open the router and check interfaces. You should find an LTE interface created.
4. In IP DHCP Client make the LTE interface a DHCP Client. You should get an IP from the fi-phone. I get addresses in the 192.168.42.0/24 space.
5. In IP Firewall Nat set up a masquerade with the LTE interface as the Out Interface.
6. Reboot the router and enable tethering again on the phone after the reboot is complete and you should be online through a connection to the router if your phone has a wifi or cell connection.

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:06 am

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, I am looking to add a permanent Project Fi Interface to a Mikrotik Device. So not necessarily a full phone, but rather a USB LTE 'Modem'.

Ill keep looking for something that is compatible.

Cheers!

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:07 pm

The project fi help indicates that you can get a "data only" sim from them that will work with an unlocked, T-Mobile, GSM radio. There should be some discussions on the forum about USB modems and PCIe cards that work with T-Mobile. I think the Sierra MC7354 has firmware that allows it to function with T-Mobile. I've used the MC7354 in a Mikrotik RB912 with an ATT sim but did not try to do T-Mobile.

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:57 am

Thanks for the info Pamela - Yup, I was aware of the data only sim- kinda why I was heading down this road.

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

UPDATE:: Re: Google Project FI

Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:28 am

UPDATE

I have a configuration that is working with Google Project Fi and a USB Dongle (Modem).

I picked up a Huawei e3276s-505 which uses BANDS 1 / 2 / 4 / 5 / 12 / 17

This is where I purchased the USB LTE Modem From : http://www.store4g.com/huawei-e3276/

Using this list, I was able to determine the Bands I needed for T-Mobile and US Cellular (Which Google-Fi utilizes in the area this device will be used) and is why I choose the 505 model: https://www.signalbooster.com/pages/wha ... usa-canada

This dongle uses a Standard Sim - so I purchased a nano sim to standard sim adapter ($4 on Amazon). Actually - to test I just slipped the sim in where it would sit, and there was enough friction to hold the sim in place to test.

I updated my hAP ac to 6.40.5 and plugged in the USB dongle after routeros was booted up. It quickly added a ppp-out interface without a problem. The only settings I changed from default were the APN and PIN, which for Google ProjectFi are:

APN: ProjectFi ----------*>> NOTE that when activating your sim card from within your ProjectFI account, the provided APN is 'Project Fi' with a 'space'. This was incorrect, which I found by guessing.
PIN: h2g2

Once the ppp interface was enabled, it connected very quickly to T-Mobile Evolved 3G (LTE) with a -59dBm and an IP address was dynamically assigned.

I hope this helps someone!

(Oh I have to share what we are using this for! It will be used to streamline customer CPE installations. An installer will attach its Port 5 POE Out port to a new Mikrotik CPE Device, then the installer will use their smartphone to connect to the hAP's wifi AP, and access a locally stored webpage. The installer will then select a tower to configure the CPE for, Input the users CustomerID, and click submit. The device will then make an API call to our Powercode Billing Server, pull down the information for the customer ID inputted, grab the most up to date connection information for the tower selected from another server. It then will fully configure the CPE for the installer. After configuration, the installers smartphone will then be directed to the Signal Level reading of the CPE, allowing the installer to then properly align the cpe. Essentially, this allows an installer to simply plugin the hAP to the CPE and align.

This additionally will be used to allow our network admins to assist less qualified installers/field techs by allowing us to access the hAP device remotely)

This will cut our install times drastically, and allow less trained installers. Hopefully it will cut our install waiting list down from 7 months!

Best of all - we named this device/project......wait for it......Normis!

Cheers and Good Luck - I hoped I helped someone.

n0muh
just joined

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:06 pm

@theWisp How's this working for you? Any issues come up when in production?