Community discussions

MikroTik App

sguox
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Port design on most of MikroTik products

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:42 pm

i think RJ45 ports on routers should have the clippers on top instead of bottom, anyone fell the same? It would be much easier to unplug.

asghari
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Port design on most of MikroTik products

Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 pm

its Idea but if you see other vendor like Cisco, Juniper, 3com or other brand i don't know. all of them have same design for RJ45 ports also this ports place is pandemic for IT administrator.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Due to density the modules have two rows of ports. Then the top row has latches on top and the bottom row on the opposite side. So you have both orientations in such cases.

IntrusDave
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:16 pm

I prefer them on the bottom. network racks normally have the lighter units at the top, and heavy servers in the middle and bottom. When the latches are on the top, it makes it more difficult to disconnect. On the bottom, you can see and press them more easily.

sguox
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:29 am

Due to density the modules have two rows of ports. Then the top row has latches on top and the bottom row on the opposite side. So you have both orientations in such cases.
i agree, there's no other logic for two rows port, but i believe 80-90% of mikrotik routers sold worldwide are part of single row and more than half are not rackmount, i might be wrong
I prefer them on the bottom. network racks normally have the lighter units at the top, and heavy servers in the middle and bottom. When the latches are on the top, it makes it more difficult to disconnect. On the bottom, you can see and press them more easily.
true, for rackmount