Community discussions

MikroTik App

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Can the hAP ac lite tower poe power a Dynadish?

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:24 am

Hey All, We are designing a new segment of our services, which includes managing the clients residential AP.

Any thoughts if we can power a Dynadish 5 via the poe-out port of the hAP ac lite tower? This would eliminate the injector and allow us to watchdog/script or manually reboot the CPE from the hAP. The Dynadish is shipped with a 800mA powersupply and the hAP has 500mw poe-out, but this is by no means a definitive answer....Any Thoughts??

FYI- we are looking forward to the gigabit ethernet version of this.....
Last edited by theWISP on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

quackyo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Can the hAP ac lite tower poe power a Dynadish?

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:49 am

You're mixing mW(att) and mA(mp).

the Dynadish 5 have a max power usage of 9W.
The hap AC have a max poe output of 500mA . That means that with a 24V PSU on the hap AC you have a max poe output of 24V x 0,5A = 12W.
Which means that this should work perfectly as long as you have a 24V or higher PSU (max 30V on hap AC).

networkfudge
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:34 pm

POE-out port on ac lite is 0.5a so max power draw is 12w. Dynadish max power draw is 9w, factored in with a bit of voltage drop (due to utp cable length/quality) to get to the dynadish then this power should be just about adequate.

But then you have to add this 12w max power draw on the poe out port to the max power draw of the ac lite itself, which is 7w. So 19w at 24v is exactly 0.8A which is the max current of the AC lite smps power supply...

So unless you have a really short cable run to the dynadish I would recommend to get a stronger psu like the 24v 2.5a included with the rb750up.

theWISP
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:53 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess i didn't word it quite right. I was really looking to see if someone has done this successfully. As the PowerBOX has its specs, but falls very short of fulfilling them, just didn't want the same to happen here.

Hunter over at ISPSupplies.com put it on their bench and did a test, "We successfully powered a DynaDish using a RB952Ui-5ac2nD-TC-US this morning" .

Cheers!