New product : HAP Mini (RB931-2ND)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:50 pm

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New product : HAP Mini (RB931-2ND)

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:37 pm

That design... O_o

On a side note, I think introducing new products aimed at home / SOHO use without 5 GHz is a bad idea. 2.4 GHz is almost unusable for people in dense apartment complexes or office buildings.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:55 pm

Hmm... so basically hAP lite with one less ethernet port and two dollars cheaper:

https://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/router ... 1-2nD.html

I like all nice little devices (emphasis on little), but this brings only one question - why? Are there really that many customers waiting for yet a little cheaper RB? "Oh yeah, under $20, now I'll get one!" :)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:49 pm

This particular distributor has tried to guess the specs and price. We have not yet sent out this info.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm

I like all nice little devices (emphasis on little), but this brings only one question - why? Are there really that many customers waiting for yet a little cheaper RB? "Oh yeah, under $20, now I'll get one!" :)
There is a whole world outside the North America and Europe that tries to by everything as cheap as possible!

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:08 pm

We "inside" like cheap stuff too, I'm big fan myself. And I'm not really complaining. From customer's point of view, the more options the better (well, until there's too many, but MikroTik's product line is not there yet). It was only my first impression of this device, that it might be just too close to existing hAP lite.

juliokato
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:48 pm

We "inside" like cheap stuff too, I'm big fan myself. And I'm not really complaining. From customer's point of view, the more options the better (well, until there's too many, but MikroTik's product line is not there yet). It was only my first impression of this device, that it might be just too close to existing hAP lite.
I agree with you.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:56 pm

There is a whole world outside the North America and Europe that tries to by everything as cheap as possible!
Sure, but is that a market suitable for MikroTik?
I would prefer if MikroTik focus on good products with usable functions (e.g. 5 GHz when Wifi) and use the extra
income from slightly-above-rockbottom prices to develop even better software. When I want the cheapest AP I can
always get a D-Link or TP-Link....

i4ko

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:30 am

Well, something has to come up for replacing all the hap lites with their defective low-quality usb power sockets. I have another one (hap lite) where the power socket just came off the board, and this in not at a customer's location. So what does a closer inspection told me - the port is not secured with pins going trough the board but held in place mostly be the traces of the conductors. And this one coming out ripped half of the negative trace, and the entire unconnected trace beside it, right off the board. One of my routers, insertion/removal count on that is for sure less than 20. The microusb ports by design may be rated for 10000 cycles, but in practice I've never seen one with more than 100 that is working. On the other hand I personal have devices with miniusb sockets that are upwards of several thousang cycles and the ports are still functioning perfectly. I would wish if possible that Mikrotik goes to using a good connection - the miniusb if they want to stay on the usb power port wagon, however looking at the external pictures MTK is still sticking with the micro port, and the low-quality socket. As can be seen here https://apps.fcc.gov/eas/GetApplication ... id=3187292, the socket lacks the shaped side walls that prevent reverse insertion, and looks like the same bad socket that also lacks complete pass through the board latch pins, those holes are filled with solder only, nothing inside it. If I get any of these I would have to hot glue the usb cable to the case before leaving them with customers.

P.S. the case looks really nice though

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:33 pm

OOOEEEMGEEE this is the cutest little MikroTik I've ever seen! And I thought mAP lite is already cute. Must have as personal portable mtk router on the go :D

Zorro
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:12 am

among new one of cuties devices ;)
similar devices - released by bunch of major SOHO vendors, btw. so i guess its generic(and yet reasonable)trend.
I would prefer if MikroTik focus on good products with usable functions (e.g. 5 GHz when Wifi) and use the extra
income from slightly-above-rockbottom prices to develop even better software. When I want the cheapest AP I can
always get a D-Link or TP-Link....
yep it is "suitable. in fact its most important (and yet fastest in growth)market for MT.
so yep, Pacific, Africa, SA, CIS - remain important market for. while NA.. not really. Europe contrary - also one of most important markets.

roc-noc.com
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu May 18, 2017 6:11 pm

This particular distributor has tried to guess the specs and price. We have not yet sent out this info.
Guessing the price is really not that difficult. Or perhaps Mikrotik set the price to match my guess? :)

https://routerboard.com/RB931-2nD

Normis.. You will be happy to know that I have stopped guessing prices for new products on our site. But I still post product information that I am gleaning from your announcements. My site requires a price so I set it to $1. I have included a disclaimer...This product was recently announced at MUM Europe 2017. Price and delivery are unknown at this time.

Example: https://www.roc-noc.com/mikrotik/router ... lusRM.html

Tom

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu May 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Normis,
Mikrotik should concentrate on getting products to the distributors who promote your devices.. Not worrying about what they might think pricing is because you haven't given them any advance information. :D

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

Mikrotik should concentrate on getting products to the distributors who promote your devices
Believe me, I love nothing more than distributors getting our products :)

SteveMouseK
just joined

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Hello!
So this MikroTik hAP mini can be used as a normal WIFI router right ? like Tp-LINK. And don't need to buy antennas or something else.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Hello!
So this MikroTik hAP mini can be used as a normal WIFI router right ? like Tp-LINK. And don't need to buy antennas or something else.
Yes. It's preconfigured out of box this way. But you can use it for whatever you want. It uses internal antenna. Also comparing it to some consumer TP-Link is a bit like comparing IMAX cinema grade projector to some crappy school projector for 50$ because "both can display powerpoint presentations right?". Yeah they both can...