ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

HAP AC LITE solve my WIFI issue?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:06 am

Hi everyone,

I need some help.

We have purchased 2 APs in the past
- D-link DSR-250N (single band) - default firmware - this one connects so often and seems have max 10 connections, plus really really slow
- Linksys WRT1900AC (dual band) - default firmware - this one has the same issue, disconnects 5 times per day basis, and eventually died .. can't detect WIFI SSID

Also we have loaned from an IT vendor
- Ruckus ZoneFlex 7352 WIFI Access Point (single band 2.4GHz) - default firmware - same issue as highlighted below

We have replaced the Switch, network cables to CAT6, and still the same.

Total employees = 15
Most of our laptops are Mac book air and pro = 11
Windows 10 - 4
iPhones & Android phones

Our office is a small unit around 1,000 sq feet includes of...
- 1 mini server room (closed door)
- 1 meeting room
- work area
- 1 management room
- 1 small pantry

Initially I have positioned the WIFI access point in the work area and connected to the ethernet wall mounted point. Then I have moved it to the server room connected directly to the network switch. Made no different.

Our WIFI has been really unstable. 2 scenarios that happens 5 - 10 times daily basis now.
- WIFI disconnects happens 4 - 5 people.. each reconnect prompt WIFI password even have save password to laptops. Some can't connect for at least 3 - 5 hours during working hours.
- WIFI still connected, but no internet access for 30 seconds - 3 minutes (checking at modem/router level, the internet is okay, no disconnects)

If I buy HAP AC LITE, will this solve my issue and suit my office environment? My office can fit max 20 people.

Plus is there any max connections for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? Since we have 15 people and each has 2 devices connected, so it needs at least 30 simultaneous connections across bands.

Thanks.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: HAP AC LITE solve my WIFI issue?

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 am

If I buy HAP AC LITE, will this solve my issue
It will likely NOT. You should understand what the reason of your problem is first. Simply replacing the hardware is unlikely to solve your problems, no matter what vendor will you go for next.

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:39 am

But how could I find out the source of the issue? That's my struggle. I have asked few people.. tried pings, netspot, change wifi channels.

Any help? Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:47 am

RouterBOARD devices have no device connection limits. We have seen some hAP ac units with more than 100 devices connected.

- check what signal levels you have now at the laptops. if your AP has such ability, check signal on AP end as well, for each devices that tends to disconnect
- when you lose your internet in the laptop. Check what signal you have then. Then ping the access point IP address, is this working? If yes, ping google.com, is it working?

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:09 pm

RouterBOARD devices have no device connection limits. We have seen some hAP ac units with more than 100 devices connected.

- check what signal levels you have now at the laptops. if your AP has such ability, check signal on AP end as well, for each devices that tends to disconnect
- when you lose your internet in the laptop. Check what signal you have then. Then ping the access point IP address, is this working? If yes, ping google.com, is it working?
1st point
- WIFI tends to disconnect (no signal)/reconnect (full signal)/disconnect (no signal) - sometimes keep prompting WIFI password (which was weird, as I saved before) -- could be ruckus issue
- For ruckus I don't have the access, as that's vendor's loan
- But for my previous linksys, the firmware was really limited .. can't see much after login to their dashboard

2nd point
- signal on my mac book pro (el capitan) - full signal, but no internet at all .. going to google.com in chrome will show "connecting...", ping will show request time out
- but funny from my sophos router connecting to the fixed static IP internet modem .. the line was good, no disconnect

The surprised part .. all 3 WIFI access points (different brands) have almost identical issues

I have changed network switch, cables to cat 6.. i didn't change the model as it's from my internet provider (could this be an issue of WIFI disconnect?) or Sophos Firewall causing this?

Thanks.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Take one of your access points elsewhere (at home?) and check if it works as expected there. Chances are it is.

Here's some of the reasons of the problem that I can think of:
  • Cabling, sockets, equipment where your AP is connected to. Try connecting your AP directly (using a patch-cord which is as short as is practical) to another port of your modem.
  • Noisy spectrum. Do you have any powerful electric equipment (motors?) working nearby?
  • "Rogue" AP- a neighbor's access point which uses the same SSID as you use.

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Take one of your access points elsewhere (at home?) and check if it works as expected there. Chances are it is.

Here's some of the reasons of the problem that I can think of:
  • Cabling, sockets, equipment where your AP is connected to. Try connecting your AP directly (using a patch-cord which is as short as is practical) to another port of your modem.
  • Noisy spectrum. Do you have any powerful electric equipment (motors?) working nearby?
  • "Rogue" AP- a neighbor's access point which uses the same SSID as you use.
Thanks for replying.

1st point
- when you said patch cord? did you mean a short network rj45 cable? or is there any image which you can show me?
- right now my ruckus WIFI ap is connected to the network switch. Can I just pluck into the modem directly maybe LAN3? I can see TEL1, TEL2, LAN3 and LAN4 still available. Do I need to configure anything on Ruckus (as vendor owns it, and I don't have any login to this).

2nd point
- currently my AP is inside the server room (above the half rack which contains the 2U Dell server, modem, network switch, sophos firewall). Doubt it's noisy though. Before this we have positioned it outside at the work place, same issue too.

3rd point
- Nope, our access point is tied to an unique name. Not possible to clash.

Unfortunately I don't have other APs to test (as we have tested 3 different brands).

Any help? Thanks.

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:41 pm

- when you said patch cord? did you mean a short network rj45 cable?
Exactly, just a short Ethernet cable.
Can I just pluck into the modem directly maybe LAN3?
Just try it. I have no idea what modem do you use and how it is configured, but it is very likely to just work as expected. Nothing needs to be changed on any of your APs.
currently my AP is inside the server room (above the half rack which contains the 2U Dell server, modem, network switch, sophos firewall). Doubt it's noisy though. Before this we have positioned it outside at the work place, same issue too.
The noise source, if any, is likely to be outside of the office. Probably some factory nearby. And by "noisy", I mean electromagnetic noise, and not sound. :)
Nope, our access point is tied to an unique name. Not possible to clash.
Try switching all your access points off and see if your wireless network disappears.

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:38 pm

- when you said patch cord? did you mean a short network rj45 cable?
Exactly, just a short Ethernet cable.
Can I just pluck into the modem directly maybe LAN3?
Just try it. I have no idea what modem do you use and how it is configured, but it is very likely to just work as expected. Nothing needs to be changed on any of your APs.
currently my AP is inside the server room (above the half rack which contains the 2U Dell server, modem, network switch, sophos firewall). Doubt it's noisy though. Before this we have positioned it outside at the work place, same issue too.
The noise source, if any, is likely to be outside of the office. Probably some factory nearby. And by "noisy", I mean electromagnetic noise, and not sound. :)
Nope, our access point is tied to an unique name. Not possible to clash.
Try switching all your access points off and see if your wireless network disappears.
My office is located in a shopping complex, level 9. Is there any software for me to analyze the noises part?

I only have 1 AP right now
- d-link (unused)
- linksys (sent for warranty replacement)
- ruckus (loan - active now)

I will give it a try on Monday, thanks again.

Anyway I am curious is this hAP AC Lite worth to buy for office use?
- work related
- music streaming via spotify, youtube, local online radios
- facebook, social media
- sometimes download some software (work related too)

Can handle?

andriys
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:04 pm

Is there any software for me to analyze the noises part?
To my knowledge, special hardware is required to do it properly.
Can handle?
Yes. Easily.

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks.

Just to confirm, this is the one right?

http://www.cloudstore.com.my/store/p30/ ... nD%29.html

Thanks again.

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:26 am

I have tried to connect the AP directly to the modem, won't connect. But if I connect the AP to the network switch, then I can connect my laptop to WIFI.

Any other ways? Thanks.

Quindor

Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:22 am

From what I'm reading I think you should first figure out your network better.

The not connect issues you are having might have nothing to do with wireless at all but for instance a DHCP server which is bugging out or a firewall/NAT gateway running out of ports or something in that area. What are you using for that and are you 100% that is stable?

To try and diagnose start simple and setup a ping to an internal server or dedicated (Wired) machine and see if that works and is stable. Then test internet and such, when the problem occurs, does it mean internet is gone but your internal machine ping is still running or is it also broken?

Also, make sure all the SSID's you create are WPA2 and password protected. Open SSID's can give you lots of problems.

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:28 am

From what I'm reading I think you should first figure out your network better.

The not connect issues you are having might have nothing to do with wireless at all but for instance a DHCP server which is bugging out or a firewall/NAT gateway running out of ports or something in that area. What are you using for that and are you 100% that is stable?

To try and diagnose start simple and setup a ping to an internal server or dedicated (Wired) machine and see if that works and is stable. Then test internet and such, when the problem occurs, does it mean internet is gone but your internal machine ping is still running or is it also broken?

Also, make sure all the SSID's you create are WPA2 and password protected. Open SSID's can give you lots of problems.
I am using this guide - https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/123133

followed almost the same except
- interface - PortA - 192.168.10.1 (local)
- start IP - 192.168.10.100 - 192.168.10.180 (should be sufficient)
- subnet - /24
- domain name - left blank
- default lease time - 1440 (default)
- max lease timme - 10080
- checked use device dns settings - 8.8.8.8 (primary) 8.8.4.4 (secondary)

No errors detected, so I presume the config is correct.

I am also setting up the pings over WIFI vs static IP (thru my local server as it's connected over wired). Will monitor today.

As for WIFI password, I recalled the vendor set as auto to support older device (if not mistaken).

Is there any good wifi analyzer that can really help? Will WIFI works well on concrete and wooden walls? My wifi ap is located in the server room with wooden walls (including a wooden door) as well.

Thanks.

ericmachine
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:59 am

Is it very common for dynamic dhcp to renew the lease?

I can see this leasing happening on each minutes/hourly basis

Lease 192.168.10.124 renewed
Lease 192.168.10.126 renewed
Lease 192.168.10.110 renewed
Lease 192.168.10.110 renewed

Thought I have set the default lease time which is quite sufficient. Plus what's the reason behind DHCP to decide to lease any existing DHCP connections?

Plus thru my server (over wired with static IP) I noticed there's certain time where pinging 8.8.8.8 will have timeout. Does that mean my internet has issue? Thanks.