Community discussions

lapsio
Topic Author

Poor quality of bundled manuals

Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 pm

Hello

I'd just like to point out that CCR manual mentions 192.168.88.1 as default IP on port Ether1 whereas irl there's no IP assigned to any port out of box / after factory reset and I had to assign it using touchscreen. I'm not sure if it's just my hardware but I've noticed the same thing about RB2011 some time ago.

Also I looked into active SFP optical module and fiber optic cord because I was curious if it's visible light and there was no manual bundled at all so I didn't know it's dangerous. There's no even sign like this anywhere on module or package: http://www.clker.com/cliparts/8/t/o/d/e ... eam-hi.png
And i did not cover unused module with rubber bc I didn't know it's recommended either. I learned about those details from Juniper SFP manual after having trouble with pulling out module.

Also there are no any instructions anywhere about how to install / remove MikroTik 1m DAC cable (S+DA0001) from SFP cage I had to ask on forum and then remove it using screwdriver.

I'm not saying every product should include 1000 pages bible but I think you could work on quality of manuals a bit. At least some downloadable pdf on page with basic info... especially in case of products related optical links because heh! who knew they can be dangerous. I thought it's low power laser similar to presentation pointers :|
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE

risk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor quality of bundled manuals

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:24 am

Hmm, my CSR did come configured with an IP, but lost it after factory reset and I had to use winbox / mactelnet.

Factory reset config != Out of the box config

"Factory" might be a misnomer

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:02 am

CSR? CRS is not like CCR ... Manuals should reflect the physical model differences and contain the basic safety information.

lapsio
Topic Author

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:31 pm

CSR? CRS is not like CCR ... Manuals should reflect the physical model differences and contain the basic safety information.
I'm kind of disappointed because whereas there's available RouterOS documentation which pretty much covers any aspect of software side I feel strong lack of corresponding document describing routerboard hardware. Something like hardware installation guide. I did not find anywhere (neither box, nor website) something like this: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ro ... _chap5.pdf

It's not a problem when you get something like idk hAP lite or some other simple device but once you get CCR / CRS / devices with multi PSU or raw routerboards there could be some hardware installation guide at least really basic describing how hardware behaves.
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:10 am

About the IP:
In what way you have "reset" the router? on wiki you can find some way.
For example if you use netinstall or inside winbox, or telnet, or ssh you can choice if the reset is total or you want the defaul configuration applied after total reset

About the laser:
all declaration of conformity, guide, brochure are online, why waste paper?
some type of hardware are buyed from professional. i do not see any CCR inside one home
the CCR device itself do not emit any type of laser beam, are the SFP modules than emit laserbeam.
If you buy directly from mikrotik there are present the "guide" with S-XXX laser modules.
If you buy from some reseller: the reseller obtain one OEM pack with 100 pieces, and the pieces are all inside same box.
If you buy 2 of that is the reseller the responsible for that...
Ah: really you need some warning about do not see inside one object wich can emit one laser beam with power to go over 30Km???

About the DAC cable (S+DA0001) :
simply pull the plastic ring on the cable... no screwdriver is needed.
You do not cut the plastic ring.... right? ( https://img.routerboard.com/mimg/863_hi_res.png )

About all:
MikroTik and others make training courses!
I'm Italian, not English. Sorry for my imperfect grammar.

lapsio
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:44 am

some type of hardware are buyed from professional. i do not see any CCR inside one home
There always must be this first time
all declaration of conformity, guide, brochure are online, why waste paper?
I know I'm totally fine with online documents. The thing is I didn't notice anything informative on product page. Maybe I just overlooked something.
If you buy from some reseller: the reseller obtain one OEM pack with 100 pieces, and the pieces are all inside same box.
That... explains a lot ._. I think I blamed wrong ppl then. Yeah i got modules delivered literally in paper bag without any "normal" package.
Ah: really you need some warning about do not see inside one object wich can emit one laser beam with power to go over 30Km???
Yes :P And only 330m I'm using multi mode version.
simply pull the plastic ring on the cable... no screwdriver is needed.
Yeah i examined it after pulling out to see how exactly it works. I think my unit is faulty. pulling this ring upwards does trigger lock mechanism a bit but it seems to not be enough to fully release it from cage. idk
Last edited by lapsio on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:51 am

You are rich??? :lol:
How much bandwith you have?

lapsio
Topic Author

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:06 am

How much bandwith you have?
It's for LAN only. I use 10TB btrfs RAID6 array in PC with plenty of data (various graphical projects etc I'm not professionally related to networking, it's just hobby). From time to time I'm syncing it with laptop or backup drives in second machine over LAN and it takes ages. RB2011 was bottlenecking around 800mbps with fasttrack and 120mbps without (when firewall between bridge ports is enabled. I actually don't really trust my machines so I prefer to have this one additional layer of firewall just in case some device decides to send "weird" requests from "flashplayer.so" for example lol...).

At some point I just decided to get two RB44Ge and CCR1009, set up 4g bonding (10g pcie NICs are a bit too expensive) and screw slow LAN. It's not fully set up yet tho as router arrived just few days ago and I didn't have much time to set it up (that's why all ports are still empty).
MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCINE

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:10 am

The speed of your lan is major than the internal speed of the bus of computer... :shock:
Ad-hoc test are different from real data traffic, at some point you can not go over computer internal bus/hard disk speed...