Community discussions

MikroTik App

gardner
just joined
Topic Author

Groove DOA?

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:09 am

Hello,
I just received a RBGrooveGA 52HPacn. I am unable to access the unit. I connected the omni antenna, and plugged an ethernet cable into it that plugs into the Gigabit PoE. I plugged the DATA PoE ethernet cable into my laptop and set
Notebook IP address: 192.168.88.2
Netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.88.1

The unit beeps a couple times as it boots up. In the beginning the top signal strength LED is lit up, then after boot up it's just the ethernet connected LED that is lit up.

I can't ping the unit. I can't access the web interface. The ARP table on the laptop shows the Groove IP address about 5 min after boot but the Groove mac address is listed as (incomplete) with the parentheses.

I tried different ethernet cables between the PoE and the Groove. I tried accessing from two different computers (OSX and Linux). Both mac and linux machines exhibit the same behavior.

I have only one Mikrotik PoE adapter here. I do have a Ubiquiti PoE adapter. They are both rated at 24v and describe pin 4-5 as hot and 7-8 as return/ground. I am nervous to try the UBNT PoE adapter.

I tried holding down the reset button, while the device is booting up, until the ethernet link LED starts blinking. Nothing seems to help.

Is there something else that I can try or should I send the unit back?

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Groove DOA?

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:56 pm

I'm not sure if your groove A ships as an AP or CPE from the factory. Check for available AP's with a wireless device. If you see one whose name starts with Mikrotik... then connect to it. A strong signal from an AP named Mikrotik would mean that your groove is configured as an AP.

Your current computer LAN settings should have gotten you into the Groove using an ethernet cable if the Groove is configured as a CPE.

Download a copy of Winbox.exe from Mikrotik if you have a PC and run it this should give you a way to get into the Groove if it isn't giving out IP's. If you only have a Mac then google "winbox for Mac" to get some Mac download locations.

To do a reset on the Groove you need to start with power disconnect and the reset button depressed. Hold the Reset button in and apply power. At about 5-6 seconds the signal strength LED's will start to flash on and off and you should release the button. If nothing happens by 10 seconds then release the button and start over.

A Groove with factory settings will be giving out IP's from 192.168.88.10 to 192.168.88.254

w32pamela
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Your Ubiquiti 24 volt poe will work fine with the mikrotik.

gardner
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Thank you for the detailed response. I purchased the GrooveA (access point) version. After the unit is powered on, there is an SSID that appears: MikroTik-HEXADDR. This wireless access point does not give out an IP address and does not respond when using the same configuration as ethernet. I will try winbox.