MikroTik App

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

CCR1036 Power Supply

Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi,

Someone close to the Netherlands that can supply a CCR1036 power supply, urgently?

Just had ANOTHER CCR starting to fall over due to a suspected failed power supply, shrugs... :(

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Re: CCR1036 Power Supply

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:10 pm

And there she goes... :(

Found a replacement at a online shop in Germany that luckily has stock. Hopefully I'll receive it tomorrow!

MT - you REALLY need to work on the reliability of your hardware :evil:

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:41 am

Hi Chris,

Let us know if the C10 capacitor is leaking, and if it has the black plastic around it.

Thanks,

Andrew

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:47 am

Hi Chris,

Let us know if the C10 capacitor is leaking, and if it has the black plastic around it.

Thanks,

Andrew
Will ask the DC engineers to take some pics when they replace it. 4 CCR's purchased (over a period of 2 years), this is now the 3rd one failing :-(

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:26 pm

I guess we found the issue. New PSU is in, 23.7V on the dot just like it used to be.

hedele

Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Hey, I'd be grateful if you could name the shop you got a replacement power supply from as I need to replace two of them myself and my distributor knows of no such thing.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:17 pm

http://www.meconet.de/ in Germany, ~14 in stock if I remember correctly. I also saw a few US companies with stock (but shipping & customs would have taken too long in my case).

My first unit came from MT directly, but I think that was on a special case only.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 pm

BTW @nz_monkey...

These power supplies with the better, green caps.. Aren't these supposed to be the NEW improved power supplies?

And yes, this is in a huge DC, so a very stable supply on the AC side, on UPS.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:18 pm

Hi Chris,

Yep the PSU with the green capacitors are the revised ones.

You have me really concerned now :(

I wonder if the cap failures are due to low quality capacitors, or poor circuit design..

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Currently described problem seems to be specific power supply issue.
For the last 4 months none of RMA CCRs was returned due to problems with power supply, neither we have received any other request about faulty supply.

2dfx

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:23 pm

I have two routers CCR1036-8G-2S+ and both have failed psu.
And yes, the C10 capacitor fails.
Link to g.drive if photo can't load
I can't do RMA, becouse warranty was over a year ago.

For one router, I changed the power supply from the LED strip. It has a power of 100Watt.
Link to g.drive if photo can't load

For the second (backup) router, I replaced both capacitors (C10 and C11).

jebz

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:25 am

I wonder if the cap failures are due to low quality capacitors, or poor circuit design..
It's nearly always about heat. Heat has an extreme aging effect on electrolytic capacitors. When a particular value capacitor in a device fails it's mostly the ones closest to the heat.

Fig 2.15 shows the extreme reduction in life caused be elevated temperatures.
http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/produ ... uminum.pdf

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon May 15, 2017 12:36 pm

@jebz

I don't disagree. The PSU in the CCR1009-1036 receives no airflow so if anything was going to overheat, it would be the PSU. Coincidentally the cap that seems to fail is C10 which is closest to the heatsink.

Our units that have failed are in Tier3+ facilities with clean power and excellent cooling, so it does not seem to be directly related to external environmental factors.

I am seeing wider reports of CCR power supply problems now.

Mikrotik, maybe you are not seeing these problems via RMA as the units are 12+ months old, or people are just replacing the PSU and not returning the routers.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon May 15, 2017 12:53 pm

I am seeing wider reports of CCR power supply problems now.

Mikrotik, maybe you are not seeing these problems via RMA as the units are 12+ months old, or people are just replacing the PSU and not returning the routers.
Well the COST associated with a RMA is a factor. The DISTRIBUTORS just pull up their shoulders (frankly, I was forced to purchase my first replacement PSU from MT directly, as the DISTRIBUTOR insisted that replacement PSUs doesn't exist and can't be replaced. My second PSU was imported, for the same reason). Talk about DISTRIBUTORS being uneducated.

If it's THAT big of an issue to JUST get a replacement PSU, just THINK about what the issues would be with a RMA though the DISTRIBUTOR. Seeing the DISTRIBUTOR doesn't want to assist, it becomes financially unfeasible to bother to do a RMA to begin with. Why would I spend how many hundreds of $ on courier charges to send a faulty unit back to MT, if I can just go and purchase a replacement PSU for $15 odd? Having a CCR fail in a production network, there's the matter that it is a time critical failure too. You want to get back up and running ASAP. You don't have the TIME to spend weeks and weeks on RMA procedures and wait while distributors and/or MT plays games and sit and think about what could possibly have caused the failure.

MT is sorely unaware of these issues because of the lack of RMAs received (due to their distribution channels), the problem is FAR greater than what MT would like to accept. MT's distributors (in SA at least), is a joke, to say the least.

Matters like this, faulty hardware, unreliable hardware, distributors pulling up their shoulders not assisting clients... These are all SERIOUS concerns, which for me personally, is making me think very long and very hard whether I want MT in core production networks.

Just my 2c.
Last edited by savage on Mon May 15, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon May 15, 2017 12:54 pm

As far as I know, the last 6-8 months we are shipping units with an improved PSU, the C10 has been changed to a better one. Some parts have been changed to better handle the heating.

mhviper

Tue May 16, 2017 11:35 am

We also had 3 failed CCR PSU within the last 12 months. All Units are located in a datacenter with controlled temperature without overheating. We replaced the PSU with spare parts and never notified MT about it as the CCR were out of support.

The third PSU died last friday and it seems like it killed the CCR as well as since then VRRP with AH starts to fail 1-6 hours after activating it (the message is saying that the AH encryption is wrong).
The VRRP config was running fine for 2 years without changes and this error occurs randomly after enabling the ccr.
VRRP is behaving normally, both nodes see each others and failover can be done by changing priority without problems, until suddenly, between 1 and 6 hours after enabling, the ccr with the failed PSU messes up the vrrp ah config and both units decides to become master.

Its really bad that a failed PSU can damage the CCR and makes him act that bad. We disabled VRRP for now and will remove all CCR from our core network and use them only in non critical environments. We are really sad about that as we really like our CCR but it looks like they are not ready for critical environments yet.

aaronbla
just joined

Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:12 am

We started widely deploying 1036s about 3 years ago and less than 2 years in we started seeing some fail. Now after 3 years with a couple hundred deployed its become a big issue for us. In fact I'm waiting for a tech to run out and replace a power supply of a down CCR right now. We have a handful of these power supplies on hand but the outages caused by them are killing us. The one I'm replacing right now is 1y 6m old and was installed in a data center. Monitoring shows the 1036 has been running at a nice even temperature. The max it ever hit was 59C on the CPU and 55C on the chassis. With the average being only 43C on the chassis. MikroTik says its tested up to 60C.

I'm glad to hear they've at least made some changes to the newer power supplies but I'm still nervous. Has anyone tried the 1009s with passive cooling and external power supply?

Thanks

LynxChaus

Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:21 am

The one I'm replacing right now is 1y 6m old and was installed in a data center. Monitoring shows the 1036 has been running at a nice even temperature.
Same there, cooled DC, 1036-8G-2S+, 1y6m, C10 capacitor in PSU is blown up. Voltage - 23.9 without load, step down to 23.3 when starting. Switching CPU freq to 800 (within bootloader) helps starting it up. On full freq - cyclic reboot.

Risty
just joined

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Same situation here in Belgium.

A few CCR1036 in production (bought from Interprojekt).
C10 blown after a bit more than 1 year of 5 of them.

Distributor has changed the power supplies with better ones for 4 of them.
The 5th one was blown last week. We'll change the power supply on all the remaining devices.

I would be glad to know if other models have the same power supply, to change them all.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:29 pm

When it is so clear what is wrong (as usually with SMPS), why don't you replace only the caps instead of the whole PS?
On this type of board and with this kind of cap that should be easy to do for any electronics repair person.
One year is too short a lifetime, but those caps are going to be the first thing that fails in most of today's equipment.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 am

Another one bites the dust:

This one was in a Tier4 datacentre.

That makes it 100% of all CCR1036-8G-2S+ that we have purchased have now experienced this fault.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 am

As far as I know, the last 6-8 months we are shipping units with an improved PSU, the C10 has been changed to a better one. Some parts have been changed to better handle the heating.
Is there any way for a distributor to tell if they have the fixed version? I'm looking to deploy my first CCR1036 soon and as I won't be on site, this thread has me very worried if / when the power supply fails...

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:15 am

Is there any way for a distributor to tell if they have the fixed version? I'm looking to deploy my first CCR1036 soon and as I won't be on site, this thread has me very worried if / when the power supply fails...
As far as I am aware, my failed PSU posted right at the top with the greenish capacitors, IS the improved version. Black caps are the old version. Improved version, is ALSO failing :(

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Well that's not very reassuring :( I'm sure there are many other 24V 4A power supplies out there that are more reliable, just wondering about compatibility with the cable to the CCR. Has anyone tried this?

Also how easy is the power supply to replace for a non-technical user if I just ship a bunch of spares?

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Also how easy is the power supply to replace for a non-technical user if I just ship a bunch of spares?
Pretty easy. The one I pictured above was swapped by a non technical user. Only gotcha to remember is the screws closest to the back are longer, and remember to screw through the earth lug.

They will only need to take a PH1 and PH2 screwdriver and the replacement PSU.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:03 am

You are right that heat causes this issue. We have already upgraded the parts in newer revisions of this model, this is the first CCR design after all. New CCR models have other designs and do not suffer from heat anymore. We do plan to release a replacement 1036 in near future, where the PSU design is already completely different and does not suffer from heat problems.

mhviper

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 am

What will you offer to people having 1036 with the old design suffering on this problems?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:11 am

What will you offer to people having 1036 with the old design suffering on this problems?
Contact the seller for warranty options, just like with any hardware issue.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 am

Contact the seller for warranty options, just like with any hardware issue.
Does your re-sellers KNOW that replacement PSUs even exist? Again, see my comment(s) above which you so nicely ignored. We are being told by your OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTORS that the PSU *CAN NOT* be replaced because it is internal. According to them, a replacement PSU does not exist. That to me, is the cherry on the cake through this entire ordeal...

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:18 am

If your seller provides no warranty, you can either replace the cap, like others posted above. To prolong the life of the cap, you can set the FAN mode to "redundant" which increases fan speed and brings temperature down by at least 3 degrees celsius. You can also mount the device in some other way to improve airflow.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:20 am

If your seller provides no warranty, you can either replace the cap, like others posted above. To prolong the life of the cap, you can set the FAN mode to "redundant" which increases fan speed and brings temperature down by at least 3 degrees celsius. You can also mount the device in some other way to improve airflow.
Read my post(s) again. I have not ONCE talked about warranty. I am asking you, specifically, about REPLACEMENT PSUs... In other words, *spare parts*

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:22 am

Replacement, warranty and any other service is up to the seller. Each distributor has their own strategy and you are free to select the company that provides the best service. We provide warranty services to all distributors, but what services they offer the end user is entirely up to them.

If the device is under warranty, we will even ship a new PSU to the distributor, without having to return anything to us.

Distributors are different. Some provide the best price, some provide the best customer service and attitude. Choice is up to you.

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you for the response Normis.

In my non-expert opinion, turning on redundant fans may cool the CPU by an extra 3degrees, but the fans are ducted so only draw air from the front of the CCR over the CPU and out the back.

I would be very surprised if this made any difference to the operating temperature of the PSU.

It is great to hear a revised 1036 is about to be released. I look forward to seeing the new design.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:28 pm

The -3c reduction was measured on the PSU.

If removing wind tunnel, further -1c drop was observed, but CPU temp increased +5c.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:43 pm

Distributors are different. Some provide the best price, some provide the best customer service and attitude. Choice is up to you.
Maybe in cases like this (user-replacible part that fails sort of frequently) it would be a good idea to offer it separately as a catalog item
just like the hot-swappable and external supplies, so a customer can order it separately after finding out that the distributor where he bought
the router previously is not too helpful, out of business, or whatever.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 pm

It is available as a separate part for purchase, but you have to check with our sales department. I think the part is only available to distributors, they sometimes sell it to people where warranty has ended.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:30 pm

We do plan to release a replacement 1036 in near future
Is this a possibility before 2018? As someone about to buy my first CCR1036 I'd prefer to avoid the model that's about to be EOL, but I need it before the end of the year.

vadimbn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:26 pm

It is available as a separate part for purchase, but you have to check with our sales department. I think the part is only available to distributors, they sometimes sell it to people where warranty has ended.
Not touching of warranty and suppliers... I can not use 1036 router in my work now - his PSU too hot and unreliable. Yes, i know that it can be replaced, and i already bought two spare PSU, but this CCR should be stand in far datacenter, and in case of PSU fail i will lose too many time for replace it. I did wanted to replace my RB1100AHx2 by the CCR1036-12G-4S, but after testing and reading this forum I see that i can not do it. We see that older RB1100AHx2 (and now newer but cheaper RB1100AHx4, with two not hot PSU) will be more reliable than newer and more expensive CCR!

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:05 am

To highlight the problem with the CCR1036, the following screenshots are from two routers that are installed 1U apart from each other in the same rack, in a Tier4 datacentre:

CCR1036-8G-2S+

CCR1072-1G-8S+

Note the huge difference in temperature. The CCR1072 board temp is 29degrees, the CCR1036 is 41degrees. Thats a 12degree difference just due to the PSU heat being trapped in the CCR1036.

I am glad Mikrotik have identified the problem and fixed it in newer products. Once the "new" CCR1036 is available we will replace all of our CCR1036's with them. The outages cost us far more than new routers :(

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:34 pm

I guess I'll be going with the revised CCR1009 then and hope its fast enough for all the queues I want to use. Judging by this thread it looks like the CCR1036 will overheat and die on me since it won't be installed in some datacenter with super low ambient temperatures.

magnavox

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:47 pm

How to set the FAN mode to "redundant" ?

Just today, dead one CCR 1036 after about 2 years in IDC....

joncolby

Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:38 am

My power supply died about 9 months ago and I still cannot find a replacement... thinking of building my own... just bought a new piece but MT should offer premium power supply replacements for sale here in 'Merica.

mxena

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Has anyone the same problem with CCR1036-12G-4S? Or is just a CCR1036-8G-2S+ problem? Does they have the same PSU?

eben

Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:48 am

Has anyone the same problem with CCR1036-12G-4S? Or is just a CCR1036-8G-2S+ problem? Does they have the same PSU?
Yes, CCR1036-12G-4S failing. Unless I'm mistaken, both are single PSU devices. They should use the same power supply.

BelWave
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:58 pm

We've also had two or more CCR1036 power supply failures. The last one that failed has the green capacitors.

Has anyone found a source for a direct replacement power supply? Prefer for the replacement to drop in just as original power supply does.

Thanks,

Brad

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:01 pm

Bad caps in a power supply are repairable. When you cannot do it yourself, it should be possible to find a repairshop that
can do it for you. That would probably be quicker and cheaper than hunting down the same power supply.

BelWave
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm confident in my soldering abilities to replace caps etc, but sometimes time runs short and simply ordering a complete drop in replacement and moving onto the next project is more enticing!

I'm betting mouser.com has a supply that will work, but want one that drops right in place without modifications.

Guess I'll order the caps in case I never find the replacement supply.

MikroTik; Can you provide a link to where a replacement supply can be purchased?

Thanks,

Brad

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Hello
Just to understand correctly:

the "old" CCR1036 (all versions) had black capacitors.
The "revised" CCR1036 (all versiones) have green capacitors.

What about the "new" 1036 ? has not been announced yet, right?

How can I know if the CCR I am about to buy new, is the old or the revised one? Do they have any markings, or serials?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:32 pm

There is no "new model" or "new type", it is just the changes between production runs that you find in all equipment.
Probably it is possible to derive it from the serial number, but that kind of information usually isn't public.
However when you buy from a distributor with normal stock and turnover you would usually get the latest models all the time.
(they don't stock these things for a year)

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:49 pm

Thank you very much.
So we assume that if I buy tomorrow one CCR1036 I can get the "revised" version with green caps, and the connector for the 2nd PSU.

vadimbn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:39 am

Thank you very much.
So we assume that if I buy tomorrow one CCR1036 I can get the "revised" version with green caps, and the connector for the 2nd PSU.
The main problem of these PSUs is the high load for CCR1036 and high temperature in result. You can see in pictures in this theme that green capacitors swells up same as black. I changed these capacitors to low ESR aluminum polymer capacitors such as 397AVG035MGBJ. They works long time and not swells.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 am

I will go on 1072 then

chitoz
just joined

Sun May 06, 2018 6:45 am

Hi All

The current PSU condition is like this

If I replace with another brand with 24v 2.5a power can work well.?

Because I have trouble finding the capacitor.

Thanks,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun May 06, 2018 11:40 am

Capacitors are the two black cylindric elements with metal-exposed tops. The one farther from wires (right one on first attached photo) looks suspiciously bloated. If you can find somebody with soldering skills, have both of them replaced with new ones of same capacity.

chitoz
just joined

Fri May 11, 2018 9:52 am

Capacitors are the two black cylindric elements with metal-exposed tops. The one farther from wires (right one on first attached photo) looks suspiciously bloated. If you can find somebody with soldering skills, have both of them replaced with new ones of same capacity.
Hi Mr mkx.

Thanks.

SOLVED

Murmaider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Is this PSU issue still a problem when buying new CCR-1036 units or has this now been resolved?

magnavox

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:00 pm

Is this PSU issue still a problem when buying new CCR-1036 units or has this now been resolved?
Solved in new unit, different PSU whit better capacitors.

rburkat
just joined

Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:24 am

Just had one of our CCR1036-12G-4S start rebooting and having trouble starting up. It's a number of years old and it's the first issue we have seen. We had a standby CCR1036-12G-4S just in case.
Now without a load it seems to be running so I'm able to compare the voltage that is shown by each router. Perhaps this is a way one can detect a failing unit if the voltage is dropping.
Screen Shot 2019-02-10 at 8.17.50 PM.png
Notice the bad router on the left has a voltage of 13.9V compared to the good router on the right of 24.2V

If I just replace the power supply will the bad router be back to 100%? Could the failing power supply have damaged the router board?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:32 pm

It will be fine when you repair or replace the power supply.
(just the electrolytic caps need to be replaced)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:04 am

looks like a new revision of ccr1036 is coming soon

with dual PSU

https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1036-8G-2SplusEM

ccr1036 revision.jpg

Murmaider
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:06 am

looks like a new revision of ccr1036 is coming soon

with dual PSU

https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1036-8G-2SplusEM

ccr1036 revision.jpg
I don't understand the logic behind dual PSU's that aren't hot-swappable.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:53 am

I don't understand the logic behind dual PSU's that aren't hot-swappable.
Well, they can be monitored via SNMP so when one of them fails you can plan downtime at a convenient moment
to swap the entire router or to repair it using a spare supply.

Niex

Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:03 pm

Change the c10 capacitor, power supply ok now

markwien
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:34 am

I have lots of ccr 1036 12 g 2s first version
Every unit has minimum one PSU changed. Now I change the capacitors myself even the new psu s with green capacitors blow up in relative short time.

Yesterday I took 2 router out of service with blown up capacitors on the routerbord. Will replace them.
Strange thing on one unit CPU temperature went up to 83 degree Celsius. I can see that issues start when voltage is not constant and fans running maximum speed. The units are all hosted in a carrier grade datacenter.

MikroTik needs to provide better power supplies and stop using that cheap capacitors.

magnavox

Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:49 am

Every unit has minimum one PSU changed. Now I change the capacitors myself even the new psu s with green capacitors blow up in relative short time.

Yesterday I took 2 router out of service with blown up capacitors on the routerbord. Will replace them.
Strange thing on one unit CPU temperature went up to 83 degree Celsius. I can see that issues start when voltage is not constant and fans running maximum speed. The units are all hosted in a carrier grade datacenter.

MikroTik needs to provide better power supplies and stop using that cheap capacitors.
Some week ago, we replaced ALSO a PSU r2.... Mikrotik, please make more attention oh details!

HSC
just joined

Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:52 pm

Hello, we have a CCR1016 that failed with the internal PSU voltage going down to ~14V. The Power supply inside, a WT2400400R2 version, seems to have failed due to bad / low-quality capacitors, C10 (1000UF 35V, green) is puffed up. The previous thread suggests that this is a R2 version that didn't have the quality problems of V1, but apparently they still do?

LeftyTs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:49 pm

You are right that heat causes this issue. We have already upgraded the parts in newer revisions of this model, this is the first CCR design after all. New CCR models have other designs and do not suffer from heat anymore. We do plan to release a replacement 1036 in near future, where the PSU design is already completely different and does not suffer from heat problems.
I replaced C10 twice and C11 is still good so it is clearly bad design on this one. Only C10’s top looks like it is about to blow up. Of course and heat reduces life expectancy however in this case the design is clearly a huge issue otherwise the cap next to it would have the same problem as it gets the same heat, but C11 clearly doesn’t have that issue as C10 does
Last edited by LeftyTs on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LeftyTs
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:53 pm

MikroTik needs to do better electronic design actually. The capacitor quality seems good. The same exact capacitor right next to C10 is of the same quality and works very well for many years now.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:26 am

MikroTik most likely do not develop these power supplies... they are just standard OEM parts.
Problems with capacitors in switch mode power supplies occur everywhere.

ballfanta
just joined

Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:51 am

Hi,

I have a CCR that recently failed due to PSU, luckily i had a spare PSU on hand. Could someone tell me the model of the C10 capacitor so I can order some to plan some repairs?

I just don't have the PSU on me right now as it is at another site.

Thankyou.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:08 pm

Above it is already mentioned that it is 1000UF 35V
Of course you need to buy a premium brand and a type with a low ESR and 105C temperature capability.
But I would first get the PSU and open it to make sure yours is the same.

sars
just joined

Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:52 pm

I replaced my original power supply three years later after the purchase with a Mean Well EPS-65-24 and it has been working great for seven years.
IMG00376.jpg

godel0914
just joined

Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:35 am

I am going to replace my CCR1036 PSU fourth time this week. My CCR1036 purchased around 2018 and average 1.5 years got one PSU failed.

godel0914
just joined

Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:41 am

Hello, we have a CCR1016 that failed with the internal PSU voltage going down to ~14V. The Power supply inside, a WT2400400R2 version, seems to have failed due to bad / low-quality capacitors, C10 (1000UF 35V, green) is puffed up. The previous thread suggests that this is a R2 version that didn't have the quality problems of V1, but apparently they still do?
Thanks for the C10 capacitor information, i can replace it by myself. Any recommendation on super super high quality replacement so i don't need to worry about the PSU failure each year?

Just wondering if R2 version of CCR1036 still get the same issues of PSU?

Anyone can help to confirm it, please?

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:43 am

Any recommendation on super super high quality replacement so i don't need to worry about the PSU failure each year?

They fixed the issue in the r1 series with better capacitors in the power supplies. The r2 units didn't have the issue at all.

I don't remember the dimensions of the capacitors, check with a ruler the dimensions of the existing one, either of these should be close enough to fit,
Rubycon 50ZLJ1000M12.5X25
Panasonic EEU-FS1H102L

I'm watching my CCR1036 from 1000+ km away, the voltage has fallen to 23.3v and I am kinda worried about it, but nothing I can do from here though, except kick myself for not changing the caps before I installed it. It has the newer 'green' caps but I still should have changed them.
Last edited by kevinds on Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maggiore81
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:48 am

I have a 1036 r3
I made a post but with no answer. Can someone tell me wich are the differencies ?

godel0914
just joined

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:24 am

Any recommendation on super super high quality replacement so i don't need to worry about the PSU failure each year?

They fixed the issue in the r1 series with better capacitors in the power supplies. The r2 units didn't have the issue at all.

I don't remember the dimensions of the capacitors, check with a ruler the dimensions of the existing one, either of these should be close enough to fit,
Rubycon 50ZLJ1000M12.5X25
Panasonic EEU-FS1H102L

I'm watching my CCR1036 from 1000+ km away, the voltage has fallen to 23.3v and I am kinda worried about it, but nothing I can do from here though, except kick myself for not changing the caps before I installed it. It has the newer 'green' caps but I still should have changed them.
Thanks a lot. I will try the new capacitor on my faulty PSU.

P.S. Just checked Rubycon 50ZLJ1000M12.5X25, the lifetime is 2,000 hours at 85 degree, that is 83 days...
Last edited by godel0914 on Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

godel0914
just joined

Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:43 am

What about those users mistakenly buying the CCR1036 R1 ? i experienced 4 times of PSU failure since 2018, average 1.5 years a blow.

mbovenka

Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:46 am

What about those users mistakenly buying the CCR1036 R1 ? i experienced 4 times of PSU failure since 2018, average 1.5 years a blow.

I very much doubt whether there are still r1's in stock anywhere. I already got an r2 when I ordered mine 4.5 years ago.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:07 pm

I would like to know more about that... You took your CCR1036 to the same place each time to get fixed. Did they put a new power supply in each time? Or did they just repair the power supply? If they just repaired the power supply, using more poor capacitors, it would be expected to fail again and again. If they were supplying poor quality power supplies, why did you keep going back??

I find it odd that the same place had spare power supplies for your CCR1036, on demand, 4 times in 4 years. So I suspect that they were either repairing the PSU by swapping capacitors, or they were swapping the power supply for one not from Mikrotik.

Mistakenly buying the CCR1036 r1? Not possible, there are very few to buy on the used market.. For 'new', would have to be very old stock. They haven't been made in a number of years.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:09 pm

P.S. Just checked Rubycon 50ZLJ1000M12.5X25, the lifetime is 2,000 hours at 85 degree, that is 83 days...
Mouser shows 10,000 hours at 105 degrees.

https://www.mouser.ca/datasheet/2/977/e_ZLJ-1601167.pdf

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:13 pm

But I highly doubt that your PSU will run at 85°C...