Community discussions

MikroTik App

aholmes
just joined
Topic Author

hEX POE - no PoE In Long Cable option?

Wed May 17, 2017 6:22 am

I have a hEX PoE unit (RB960PGS) that seems determined to detect short circuits on any/all cables I plug into it. Device is powered via a direct-plugged 48v 1A PSU, powering ~300mA worth of device (2x wifi radio devices). Device is on 6.39.1 (though issue was present on 6.39 also)

After power-up, it sometimes takes it 20-30 seconds to realize that there's something plugged into a port and power it up when set to auto-on, and whenever there's just a bare cable plugged in (to at least port 2) it reports "short circuit" as the connection status. Additionally, when I try to use the powercycle function on a port through winbox, the port never loses power. I have to manually switch the port from "auto on" to "disabled" and back (or to "forced on" even).

I had similar issues with an RB260GSP (old revision, not the new CSS) - disabling short circuit protection "fixed" the issue (I hesitate to say fixed when it shouldn't really be necessary to disable short circuit protection. However, it doesn't seem like there's a ether1-poe-in-long-cable option present anymore as per the documentation?

The entire /interface ethernet poe settings subsection appears to be gone. Am I missing something obvious???

Hotz1

Re: hEX POE - no PoE In Long Cable option?

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:39 pm

We ordered ten of these hEX PoEs earlier this year, and as I was upgrading the last few on the bench from 6.37.3 (as delivered from the factory) to 6.40.3 before putting them into production, I found that they all start reporting short-circuits on at least one port, even if nothing is plugged in to it, if they are running any version from 6.40 onward. With any version up to 6.39.2, the problem never happens.

So, I'm going to conclude that the hardware is fine and that this is an issue with RouterOS--and hope that it doesn't cause any behavioral problems in the field until Mikrotik can release a fix.

Hotz1

Re: hEX POE - no PoE In Long Cable option?

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:03 pm

It's still happening with 6.40.4. We're putting the last of them into production today, to replace a couple RB750UPs. Hopefully this "short_circuit" bug and lack of ether1-poe-in-long-cable options don't bite us as we start moving rooftop equipment over to the hEX PoEs, because it's 25*F and windy on that roof today.