Community discussions

MikroTik App

cpakeith
just joined
Topic Author

Product Request: USB Ethernet adapter with SFP+ port

Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:36 pm

I've been trying to find a decent SFP/SFP+ Ethernet adapter that is reliable and compatible with Mikrotik SFP/SFP+ modules and DACs. I'm looking for something that can be tossed in a bag, carried up ladders/towers and with minimal cords (i.e. not a USB->POE injector + Ethernet cable -> media converter) and doesn't overheat. There seem to be some options from lesser reputable names but I haven't found a good one yet. So as a request (unless Mikrotik/Routerboard has something already) what would be ideal is a device that has:
  • a single SFP+ interface (just for negotiation, does not need to route/bridge that fast)
  • a single USB gigabit Ethernet adapter that's compatible with common OSes (primarily Windows/Linux) and supplies power to the rest of the device as well
  • detachable USB cord so it could be swapped with either a USB A or a USB C cable
  • an overall size of about the size of a deck of cards or smaller
  • relatively low power consumption (with intent to be used by mobile devices) rather than high performance
  • Compatibility for 802.3bz (2.5/5Gbit) modules when available (not super important)

HiltonT
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Product Request: USB Ethernet adapter with SFP+ port

Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 am

https://sonnettech.com/product/twin10g- ... bolt3.html seems to be the best option I've seen so far. NFI if it is compatible with MikroTik, though.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Product Request: USB Ethernet adapter with SFP+ port

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:44 am

You won't get SFP+ with USB3 because it's only 5G theoretical. There are plenty of SFP gigabit dongles though. I ordered Winyao one recently. It's quite cheap and supposedly works with Linux. I'll report compatibility once it arrives.

Aquantia is working on 5G copper USB3 dongle. It should be available soon. At least it was supposed to be released this year.