Community discussions

wilsonlmh
Topic Author

mAP lite + USB LTE modem using portable mobile battery?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Hi, is it possible to use mAP lite plugged with USB LTE modem while powering by a 5V USB portable battery? I know some of 7V/8V RBs works under 5V with no USB voltage output(or too less ampere). However, mAP lite supports 5V officially. How about it's USB?

Shadeofspirit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: mAP lite + USB LTE modem using portable mobile battery?

Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi, is it possible to use mAP lite plugged with USB LTE modem while powering by a 5V USB portable battery? I know some of 7V/8V RBs works under 5V with no USB voltage output(or too less ampere). However, mAP lite supports 5V officially. How about it's USB?
now, you can not use it in such way. mapLite use USB only for power
MTCNA, MTCWE

Atlantis
just joined

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 pm

If you need portable battery with 12V output, you can use the ones with quick-charge option. I have Xiaomi 2, 20Ah power bank and it supports 5V, 9V and 12V output. I designed simple micro-controller board which simulates the handshake process to negotiate 12V. All it does is to start with D+ and D- lines disconnected and after one second it connects one to voltage between 0,5-2V and after another second it connects to the same voltage the second data line. After doing this, the voltage on USB jumps to 12V/1.5A which is more than enough power to any mikrotik or other device. For me it is very useful gadget. I might even start to sell it. But I have no experience in this

tehdan
just joined

Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:51 pm

I do this oftem with a normal (ie non-lite) mAP. You'll need to find a USB OTG + charge cable (got mine on ebay). Then you can power the mAP via USB as well as connect a USB LTE dongle.
I'd recommend getting at least a couple of cables, as the micro USB connectors are pretty fragile and tend to break at inoppertune moments...