MikroTik App

andressis2k
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

PowerBOX Pro - 4 pair PoE IN

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:09 am

Hello. Does it supports 4-pair PoE IN?

In long cable distances, and 24v systems, it may reduce voltage loss...

Some vendors uses "4-Pair passive PoE" using 1,2,4,5 for + and 3,6,7,8 for -) to power high consumption devices

Also upcoming IEEE 802.3bt defines 4 pair PoE: up to 55W (type 3) or 100W (type 4). I'd try it... but I don't like having fireworks in our tower :lol:

Regards

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Re: PowerBOX Pro - 4 pair PoE IN

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:57 am

According to Mikrotik Wiki on PoE-IN:
RouterBOARD devices with "poe" labeled ports, support powering by Passive PoE over spare pairs, except where notified otherwise. This table explains Ethernet cable pinout for RouterBOARD devices, and shows powered pins for PoE on 10/100 and 10/100/1000 devices.
Captura de pantalla 2017-08-06 a la(s) 10.49.25.png
Note: for Gigabit models, you have to use the MikroTik Gigabit PoE injector, then PoE is passed on pins 4,5 (+) and 7,8 (-). When using other PoE injectors, power can be passed on any other pins, depending on PoE injector model.
Text in green refers to Routerboards supporting af/at, not to 4 pair passive PoE-IN, there's no routerboard supporting this neither for PoE-IN nor PoE-Out...

No mention @ PowerBox Pro details of 4 pair Passive PoE-in support.

Only device I know supporting this are AirFibers... devices in Routerboard lineup are really efficient (I'd say Mikrotik wins in this department vs most other brands) so this wouldn't make sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:20 pm

According to Mikrotik Wiki on PoE-IN:
RouterBOARD devices with "poe" labeled ports, support powering by Passive PoE over spare pairs, except where notified otherwise. This table explains Ethernet cable pinout for RouterBOARD devices, and shows powered pins for PoE on 10/100 and 10/100/1000 devices.
Captura de pantalla 2017-08-06 a la(s) 10.49.25.png
Note: for Gigabit models, you have to use the MikroTik Gigabit PoE injector, then PoE is passed on pins 4,5 (+) and 7,8 (-). When using other PoE injectors, power can be passed on any other pins, depending on PoE injector model.
Text in green refers to Routerboards supporting af/at, not to 4 pair passive PoE-IN, there's no routerboard supporting this neither for PoE-IN nor PoE-Out...

No mention @ PowerBox Pro details of 4 pair Passive PoE-in support.

Only device I know supporting this are AirFibers... devices in Routerboard lineup are really efficient (I'd say Mikrotik wins in this department vs most other brands) so this wouldn't make sense.
This makes sense where you cascasde POE-Devices. E.g. HEX POE inside powering Omnitik POE Outside which powers sectors ...

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:54 pm

This makes sense where you cascasde POE-Devices. E.g. HEX POE inside powering Omnitik POE Outside which powers sectors ...
I see it now... agreed, this feature will provide more deployment flexibility.

However I wouldn't personally deploy cascading PoE, not best practice IMHO in terms of resiliency.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:48 pm

I see it now... agreed, this feature will provide more deployment flexibility.

However I wouldn't personally deploy cascading PoE, not best practice IMHO in terms of resiliency.
Only one Power Source, less cabling. So less components to fail.

pukkita
Trainer
Trainer

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:27 am

That's one way to see it... it can be also be seen as single point of failure :D

Unless that's deployed on really simple POPs without meshing or redundant links, I can't see the benefit... having power as a single point of failure would render redundant links worthless.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:51 am

That's one way to see it... it can be also be seen as single point of failure :D

Unless that's deployed on really simple POPs without meshing or redundant links, I can't see the benefit... having power as a single point of failure would render redundant links worthless.
Unless you have more than one power source this is your single point of failure anyway. Power Adapters/FANs are the components with low MTBF. So reducing the amount of these in my network reduces the possibility of outages. If you have redundant power you want redundant poe-switches, too.

amojak
just joined

Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 pm

hi,

An old thread but i was looking to find the same answer.

The cost increase in parts is minimal to make POE IN on all 4 pairs, this would make things a lot better for customers who have hardware capable of feeding 4 pairs of power. Ideally a version of the passive injector that supports 4 pair would be great too.

in response to "there's no routerboard supporting this neither for PoE-IN nor PoE-Out..."

The original RB260GSP had the footprint for the bias transformer and diode to make it 4 pair POE IN, i know as i fitted that transformer and diode for a site where i needed to power some power hungry kit on the end of 30 meters+ of cat5e. It worked wonderfully.

When the newer RB260GSP's came out that ability had been removed, a retro step :(

I think some of the earlier RB450's also had 4 pair POE in, fed to a bridge rectifier.

What this means is now we and others need to use products like Netonix for 4 pair PoE switches, so that exclusion of a diode and transformer for the two other pairs is proving more costly and less of a saving to Mikrotik in reality.

Bill

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:46 pm

I'm looking for answers as well. I emailed Mikrotik support, but not sure of answer..

Like to power the 'PowerBox Pro' with 4-pair POE input from a Netonix WISP Switch. 48HV.

Will this work, or smoke the device?

toxicfusion
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:08 am

bump

marcbou
just joined

Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:49 am

Dear Mikrotik, could we please have a response on this ? will it smoke the device or not ?

amojak
just joined

Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:04 pm

hi all,

well this is now 3 years old as a question, nobody has bothered to answer it from Mikrotik, the spec fails to mention if the unit supports 4 pair POE in which it should, so Netonix it has become.

sigh

Bill

sirbryan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:36 pm

For those still wondering,

I have multiple (5+) PowerBox Pros running with Ubiquiti's 54V 65W and 55V 80W power supplies. Both supply 4-pair POE to the PowerBox. Loads are typically UBNT LTU Rockets and MikroTik 60GHz radios. They've been working for nearly a year without any issues.