Community discussions

upower3
Topic Author

Switch stacking?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:04 pm

Are there any devices in MT lines that can be used stacked, so I can aggregate, say, a port on first switch and a port on second switch (that is stacjed with the first), and use that aggregated link to connect a server or distant network device?

The idea behind is that if one switch in the stack will for any reason become off, then the traffic be processed by second switch.

I'm asking since this new switch CRS317-1G-16S+RM is simple nice thing considering its ports and price, and the only thing I'd like to add is to make it stacked with another such device so even hardware problem won't effect the overall operation.

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Switch stacking?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:54 pm

AFAIK no MikroTik product supports stacking.

upower3
Topic Author

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:01 pm

AFAIK no MikroTik product supports stacking.
Me too. This why I'm asking, just to expose the interest. Who knows, maybe one day it'll be implemented? We can use several of SFP+ to create stack links, while other will be used to connect to external devices. Nice approach, and very affordable (if stacking be even there).

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Yes, stacking would be really cool.

I use it with Cisco switches for LACP so even if one switch goes down the devices configured with LACP (mainly storages and hypervisors) will keep on working without a problem.

upower3
Topic Author

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:22 pm

...with Cisco switches...
Yes, this was my experience, too, along with some other brands. It really helps to build network we can trust.
It is hard to find affordable 10G capable switch that's rather stable and rich in features. CRS317-1G-16S+RM looks very promising (at least I do believe there'll be some development for its features), but lack of stacking is very negative - I simple have to choose not other switch but other brand.

I really hope one day will see this feature implemented! Please, Mikrotik, say you have it on your plans!

Cha0s
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:30 pm

I don't think it will be implemented on current hardware.

I assume that stacking needs extra hardware (chips etc) to be able to handle the 'stacking' data and all other functions needed for this.
I don't think stacking is all software.

But a move like this will definitely put MikroTik hardware closer to the large vendors. This along with router "stacking" (stateful HA).
Right now I wouldn't even try putting a MikroTik switch on a critical environment. They are pretty cool (and cheap) for SOHO use but not for enterprise.

upower3
Topic Author

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:36 pm

Right now I wouldn't even try putting a MikroTik switch on a critical environment. They are pretty cool (and cheap) for SOHO use but not for enterprise.
I would give it a try in non-HA environment as a switch where I don't need sophisticated features (so lab setup is ok), but I've never seen it under packet storm (they promised it now).

But yes, looks like they move in right directions with these 2PSU/2FAN devices (at least I can put them into rack), and... Well, let's hope! Even small offices may want to have some 10G infrastructure and some HA setup, too!

schadom
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:16 pm

What about virtual stacking?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:50 pm

And how about connecting switches over fast(er) trunk ports? Ex: connect 2 CRS326/CSS326 over their SFP+ port(s) and as such generate a 48 port switching plane?

upower3
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:58 am

And how about connecting switches over fast(er) trunk ports? Ex: connect 2 CRS326/CSS326 over their SFP+ port(s) and as such generate a 48 port switching plane?
Sounds pretty good, and would be great valie for the money.