Community discussions

MikroTik App

vonpupp
just joined
Topic Author

Hardware suggestion please

Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Hello,

I am planning to run a small network for scientific computation experiment.

Ideally I should have:
- A main internet connection (About 20Mb)
- A backup connection (could be wired or even an USB 4G connection).
- I would like to be able to have various sites/regions
- On each region I should have from 3 to 24 compute nodes, depending on the size of each region (48 ports switches should work fine).
- The Overall network consumption for each region is low (about 10Mbps) since the nodes do not interact with each other, except for regular network broadcasts.
- Each region should be available through a VPN or similar for both maintenance and remote ssh/web access to the nodes but the nodes are not required to connect with each other to work. Each node only requires a working internet connection (this is why backup internet is important).
- These regions could be dispersed across two countries.
- Ideally a dashboard/tool should show the state of the regions connectivity as the compute nodes.
- Later on I will try to implement out some Graphana dashboard for the application layer

My internet provider does not provide me with a fixed IP address so I either use dynamic DNS for the VPN or use some sort of mesh VPN. I could get a VPS for the sake of having a fixed IP address and have the regions connect to that VPS. Of course the more tolerant to failure, the better. The less bottlenecks or centralization, the better.

Questions:
- Which equipment would you recommend?
- Which configuration would you recommend?

A similar experiment used Cisco 3750 switches (48 ports) and Meraki mx64w routers.

Thank you very much.

jspool

Re: Hardware suggestion please

Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:02 am

I would say based on your requirements a RB750Gr3 should do fine. However as budgets allow you can always move up to whatever hardware you desire.
With most Mikrotik devices the software capability is the same. The limiting factor is generally CPU power and if it has a USB port capable of supporting a USB modem.

You will need a public IP on one side to establish a connection or get a VPS to act as a bridge or reflector.

The RB750Gr3 is a dual core 4 thread 880Mhz CPU. Pretty respectable for the price.

vonpupp
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:15 am

Great, thank you very much for your reply jspool.

I have read that this equipment does not support wifi, and even it is not required, I was wondering if there is an equivalent to the one you proposed with wifi just in case. I haven't decided yet, but wifi might be cool.

Thanks again!

jspool

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:18 am

hAP AC is very good as well.

dudum48
just joined

Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Hy,
I have a same question so no need for new topic. I'm on cable and top speed down is 120 Mbps, (mostly up to 90-110 in no traffic hours), up is 15. Image .
I would like to use the most of it by bridgeing my providers router and which mikrotik? So far i've found rb750gr3 but has no wifi and rb952ui-5ac2nd .
Also, i would like to be able to setup wifi with unicod smiles.
Any sugestions are welcome.

jspool

Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:21 pm

RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT