Community discussions

MikroTik App

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Woobm-USB How Much Can It Do?

Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Seeing the Woobm-USB added to a few online retailers, still with zero stock or coming soon..

My question is, what are they capable of? ESP8266EX CPU says maximum flash is 16MB so this should be enough.. Even 8MB should be sufficient..

My primary question is what all is it capable of and how will it work.

This looks like a really nice product and exactly what I have been looking for for a few devices.. Easier than reset and re-configure for simple mistakes..

A feature that I absolutely require though is the ability to access it remotely through the internet.. Reverse SSH perhaps? Have it connect to an intermediate server from behind a NAT or other firewall at the location (like many of the other devices using the ESP8266EX SoC), OpenVPN maybe?

I would need to be able to connect to it from 1000 miles away, perhaps through a network I don't control.. Put another way, if I have the WiFi client in the Woobm-USB setup to certain settings, can someone bring their smartphone into the area with the hotspot feature setup with the predefined settings, the Woobm connect to it and somehow make a connection outgoing that I can use..

Does this make sense? A data center that also provides WiFi access, have the Woobm connect to it, if I need to get access to a console, it can make an outgoing connection that I can use to access it.

To be useful this is another connection option that needs to be implemented, that I haven't seen in any of the scarce documentation for the Woobm-USB.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Woobm-USB How Much Can It Do?

Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:55 am

Yeah I'd also like to ask about this product. What it even is? Is it like routerboard with ROS powered via usb or is it more like just wifi card compatible with ROS devices with usb. Does ROS support other usb wifi cards as well? What Woobm really does and how ROS sees it. Can I use it as second wifi interface for wifi routerboards with usb? Or as wifi interface for non-wireless routeeboards?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:01 am

It is a way to connect out of band, to a Mikrotik Router. You plug it in the router's USB, it will be configured as a serial access. You connect your laptop, mobile, whatever, to the woobm via wireless.

Presto! Now You have access to the console, or webfig, to the router. It is a tool to do maintenance, under certain conditions.

At least, that was the gist of it, to me. :D

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 am

Paternot is right. There is no RouterOS on this device. It is a basic console over wireless adapter. You connect to the AP it sets up, and when you telnet to it, you will have access to the parent device serial console. There is only telnet, and the basic Web interface it comes with (there is a web based terminal).

The device can also work as a wireless client, but the same still applies - connect to it's IP with Telnet, and you are in the serial console of the parent device.

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:59 am

That sounds pretty handy. Would be awesome if there were 4G and Ethernet versions. I'm using some RB411U's with 3G cards in them to give me console access to routers that are >400km away (and I just used it to do a recovery this afternoon). Once I add in the mobile broadband card, case and antennas, my solution is a few hundred dollars, but that's still way less than OpenGear or CradlePoint's options.

We're not allowed to put wireless/4G devices in our datacentre, so a rackmount Ethernet OOB management option would be handy there. Of course we can achieve this with an RB2011, but it's kind of overkill.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:29 am

That sounds pretty handy. Would be awesome if there were 4G and Ethernet versions. I'm using some RB411U's with 3G cards in them to give me console access to routers that are >400km away (and I just used it to do a recovery this afternoon). Once I add in the mobile broadband card, case and antennas, my solution is a few hundred dollars, but that's still way less than OpenGear or CradlePoint's options.

We're not allowed to put wireless/4G devices in our datacentre, so a rackmount Ethernet OOB management option would be handy there. Of course we can achieve this with an RB2011, but it's kind of overkill.
Serial to Ethernet, there are a lot of products on the market.. I would look at an AP set with ultra low transmission power (so it is contained to your rack) or a Faraday cage around the AP and Woobm... I am curious how you can get console access plugging a cellular modem into the RB411 to perform a recovery.. Or does it depend on the fault if it can be fixed remotely?

I am looking at colo for a RB750Gr3.. The ability to access the console remotely is what I am looking for. :)

Hopefully more functionality gets added.. The CPU is capable so just depends on Mikrotik what they add (how much memory for example). Also curious if we will be able to 'build our own' with the Woobm as a starting point. haha

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:19 am

I have the RB411U connected to the router by serial cable. I can ssh to the RB411 which has a 3G card in it (as long as it's connected and working) and use that to connect to the router. I can use EoIP to do a netinstall from my laptop remotely.

Yesterday I did this when a customer's CRS109 switch had failed. I had to ring them and ask them to move the RB411 into the other room and plug it into the switch, but I didn't have to send a tech onsite, which is good because it was in another city.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 am

I have the RB411U connected to the router by serial cable. I can ssh to the RB411 which has a 3G card in it (as long as it's connected and working) and use that to connect to the router. I can use EoIP to do a netinstall from my laptop remotely.

Yesterday I did this when a customer's CRS109 switch had failed. I had to ring them and ask them to move the RB411 into the other room and plug it into the switch, but I didn't have to send a tech onsite, which is good because it was in another city.
Alright, so you have a cellular modem and another RB to do this.. I was thinking you were doing it just with the modem connected and I was trying to figure out how that could be accomplished.. haha

Back to the Woobm, as a followup, the Woobm works by creating a serial port over a WiFi IP network.. As an extension of this, will RouterOS simply accept a USB-Serial adapter to create the console port as well? I haven't found any documentation mentioning this?

If so, this would also accomplish exactly what I want to do, without even needing WiFi at the remote location... Just a Ethernet-Serial adapter.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:49 am

yes, RouterOS has supported USB-Serial adapters for quite some time.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 am

What other kinds of usb devices does it support? >.>

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:06 am

Ethernet, 3G, LTE, disks and USB flash sticks.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:47 pm

I am seriously asking...

Why isn't this documented anywhere?

AzAel76
just joined

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 am

I am seriously asking...

Why isn't this documented anywhere?
It is

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supporte ... l_adapters

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:35 am

Warning: Page no longer maintained. Please use the new Peripherals page for supported devices
This page only kept for archival purposes!

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Peripherals

Not listed on the supported devices page, not even mentioned on the Console page.. I wonder if I have Wiki-Edit privileges...

AzAel76
just joined

Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:49 am

It was mentioned else where but I cant find the old references. There is a few old forum posts about it.I was using it all the time at one stage to remotely configure new switches from home at my leisure.I would plug it all in before i left of an evening.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:04 am

USB-Serial adapter I can make work.. lol

Might require a few devices to achieve remote access, but doable..

USB-Serial adapter and a second router with a COM port..

Or a USB-Serial adapter, Serial-Ethernet adapter, and than a second remote router..

Turning off the console of the working one to manage the non-working one, as long as it is remembered to turn the console back on when finished, this could may work..

Regardless, the USB-Serial adapter feature needs to be better documented. And no, I can't edit the wiki :(

VK2XXY

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:39 am

How would you connect PC(usb) to Mikrotik(usb) to have console? What type of cable? It's like two usb-serial cables back to back.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:49 am

How would you connect PC(usb) to Mikrotik(usb) to have console? What type of cable? It's like two usb-serial cables back to back.
Exactly.. Need to use a Null-Modem (F-F) serial cable. Same as if you were connecting two Mikrotik routers with serial ports together.

VK2XXY

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:01 am

Exactly.. Need to use a Null-Modem (F-F) serial cable. Same as if you were connecting two Mikrotik routers with serial ports together.

So something like this...

http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/interface ... s/0537420/

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:48 am

Honestly, I have no idea if that would work or not.. I suppose it would depend on how it presents to the USB controller. But USB connection at both ends, but operating at TTL levels? Why would it matter what voltage it is operating at.. It is USB on both ends, it doesn't matter what voltage the cable is at.

Two USB-Serial adapters and a Startech SCNM9FF1MBK cable would do the job - KISS principle. ;)

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:21 am

Honestly, I have no idea if that would work or not.. I suppose it would depend on how it presents to the USB controller. But USB connection at both ends, but operating at TTL levels? Why would it matter what voltage it is operating at.. It is USB on both ends, it doesn't matter what voltage the cable is at.

Two USB-Serial adapters and a Startech SCNM9FF1MBK cable would do the job - KISS principle. ;)
I've just ordered one of the RS ones. Will give it a go and report back.

VK2XXY

Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:01 am

I've just ordered one of the RS ones. Will give it a go and report back.
I'm quietly confident it will work.

From cable specs... http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... USBNMC.pdf
Based on back to back FTDI FT232RQ devices.
From Mikrotik wiki... https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Supporte ... l_adapters
Brand Model Works / Doesn't
FT232RL chipset Works
From FT232R specs... http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documen ... FT232R.pdf
The FT232R is available in two different packages. The FT232RL is the SSOP-28 option and the FT232RQ
is the QFN-32 package option.

turnip
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:01 pm

I was also fairly confident based on those specs, and thankfully my confidence has paid off. It works nicely.
This opens up a lot of options for remote OOB access to devices that previously wouldn't be accessible.

pcjc
just joined

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Additionally, (tested on a RB922 board), there is support for generic USB hub devices. I have one sitting here with a memory stick and FT232 based serial adapter plugged in via a hub.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Hello, I have a question.

Can I access to RouterBoot of a BaseBox using this device?

Thanks and regards.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:15 am

Ok, finally I got it. It works good with my Basebox, but when I reboot it, I can`t see boot process (to access to routerboot). I tryed by telnet (using Xshell) and by the web GUI (using Firefox).

Regards.

wpeople

Fri May 04, 2018 6:58 pm

It does NOT show up boot process, unless the host support to load up USB drivers from BIOS...

Some motherboards supports serial console too (even over IPMI). But to see boot process, you need to direct console to specific serial device.
I bet, in ROS, there is a trigger to bind console to freshly found serial if its USB description match Woobm

tangram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Hi,

What's the behavior of the console port when woobm is plugged in ? Do you still have console connection over rj port ?
Since woobm can't follow the full boot cycle of the device, you'd use console port up to a point and then woobm ?

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:18 pm

Hi,

What's the behavior of the console port when woobm is plugged in ? Do you still have console connection over rj port ?
Since woobm can't follow the full boot cycle of the device, you'd use console port up to a point and then woobm ?
MikroTik allows for up to 9 serial consoles iirc. So Woobm is just second serial console. I believe it does not register under the same port as native one, it wouldn't make much sense. You can list available serial consoles from /system console. If you want to get more serial consoles in more "traditional" way than Woobm you can just connect usb hub to MikroTik with USB port and then plug multiple RS232 usb adapters - MikroTik will properly detect them as serial console and will allow you to bind terminal to it via mentioned /system console.

tangram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 pm

Uhm..I was looking for a "cleaner" way than powered usb-hub with a bunch of serial to usb adapters - that's why i'm considering woobm.
The alternative would be serial switch but costs would be too high. :lol:

Would be nice to have a rack-mountable wireless device - like crs or a rb2011 chassis with wireless. It would be a niche product but would go great for woombs.

lapsio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:42 pm

Uhm..I was looking for a "cleaner" way than powered usb-hub with a bunch of serial to usb adapters - that's why i'm considering woobm.
The alternative would be serial switch but costs would be too high. :lol:

Would be nice to have a rack-mountable wireless device - like crs or a rb2011 chassis with wireless. It would be a niche product but would go great for woombs.
Technically RB4011 is available with wifi and there are rackmount ears available for it (sold separately if you get wifi model). Also there are rackmount switches with wifi like CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN. I'm pretty sure this CRS is bundled with ears. Though remember that in most cases rack itself will work like Faraday cage and shield wifi signal (especially mesh door racks, glass door ones should be fine) so you will most likely need to open rack anyways.

tangram
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm

I have a lot on 109s with 8ports, they don't come with rack ears.

This is for about half rack in the same enclosure - I assume shielding will not be an issue.

Can anyone confirm if these:
https://mikrotik.com/product/k_65
Would fit RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN ? :D

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Pffff .... couldn't get in with Woobm.

Didn't know you have to define a USB console first on the hAP ac2 ROS 6.47.10.
No idea if this is new with some version of ROS or not. But by creating the console, now I can get in a hAP ac2.
Probably similar with other MT devices.
Klembord-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bpwl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:41 pm

FYI .... the Woobm screenshots
Klembord-3.jpg
Klembord-5.jpg
Klembord-4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.