Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

nabuk
Topic Author

RB532 dual radio + hotspot + nstreme + ospf

Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi all,
will a single RB532 handle this configuration ?

Dual radio AP, with nstreme enabled. No more then 25 client for radio
Hotspot with mac address autentication
OSPF between RB532 and backbone

Thanks to all

daniel

Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:08 am

The tricky part here is OSPF. I have been experiencing extremely bad behavior of the RB532s (32MB RAM) when it comes to OSPF. The routing process inevitably crashes and is not restarted -- you have to either restart the unit, or reconfigure OSPF for it to be started again.

Maybe, the 64MB version will suffer less from this problem, but never tried it..

Otherwise, I believe it will handle your task well.

gpienaar

Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:03 pm

I have to disagree! I am running about 10 towers with OSPF, no Problem, Try to run a radius server for your clients to authenticate! This save's a lot of memory on 532! Nstream is very cpu intensive, I do not reccomend it, if you have to, only 1 card for backbone!

daniel

Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:28 pm

Well, I have few hundred RouterOS sites (including towers) running OSPF. OSPF on RB532 is one of my nightmares! Wherever possible, I go to reconfigure these to do bridging and .. maybe, will start using separate (non RouerOS based) machines to do the (OSPF) routing.

By the way, if you run hotspot, you are likely to not need OSPF at all, because RouterOS doesn't really support 'routing' to the clients -- you can assign them IP addresses via RADIUS, but OSPF doesn't see these routes. This is probably because the MikroTik hotspot uses NAT for it's job, while routing would require some sort of virtual interface creation (such as all ppp based services: ppp, pppoe, pptp, l2tp).

With static routing, everything works perfect!

gpienaar

Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:35 pm

Hi Daniel!!

I am running 10 towers as you know and I am running PPPOE and Hotspot on different towers. I do not use masquerading on my network, only at the end point BIG ROS machine that is handling the firewall rules, routing to different gateways and caching! The benefit of the network running OSPF is the following!

The network is being fed from different points! (2 x distribute default route).
One gateway can fall away (lightning, bad service provider. etc) the whole system(towers) change there gateway almost instantanious to the second gateway 20 Km away on the other side of the city(network)!

Only thing that bothers me is the fact that the PPPoe links is running say 192.168.x.x and ospf backbone is running 10.22.x.x, but still all clients addresses and routes are vissible on all towers! How is this possible? Only the network range 10.22.3.0/24 etc is part of backbone!

Another funny thing, even if you go the static route way, you have to masquarade on every tower otherwise internet does not work! I do not like this! Please comment!

Regards

Mr G