Community discussions

MikroTik App

sizeofbool
just joined
Topic Author

Unable to tell how much interfaces MikroTik devices has.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:28 pm

Recently, I have installed\setup RB3011UiAS-RM. It was my first experience with MikroTik device and I really liked its performance and was surprised it actually has 10 interfaces.
Today I browsed through other MikroTik device specifications, but there is no information about how much actual interfaces in less expensive devices, such as hEX, hAP, hAP ac, etc.
All it says in the catalog is how much Ethernet ports they have. On photos they have colored ports and labels like "Internet" and "LAN". Does that means this device has 2 Ethernet interfaces(one for "Internet" and one for 4 port switch labelled "LAN")?
Can anyone clarify this for me?

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Unable to tell how much interfaces MikroTik devices has.

Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:46 pm

Naming on the chasis is just convention to make admin's life easier :-)
In Mikrotik each interface could be WAN or LAN. It depends only on configuration. You can have many WANS and just one LAN or 2 WANs and 3 LANS ... it is only matter of your creativity.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Unable to tell how much interfaces MikroTik devices has.  [SOLVED]

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:31 pm

Number of Ethernet ports = Interfaces. All our devices have the same number of interfaces as Ethernet ports. Any port can be WAN, LAN or any other. Each interface in the LAN group can have it's own IP address etc. They can be bound together in a Switch group, but that's optional and also a software feature.

sizeofbool
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Number of Ethernet ports = Interfaces. All our devices have the same number of interfaces as Ethernet ports...
This is probably what should have been described in specifications, because there is so much devices looking similar from the back from other vendors and that colour markings are misleading for people new to MikroTik.
Anyway, you've answered my question. Thank you.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:09 pm