Community discussions

MikroTik App

Bomber67
Topic Author

mUPS max output current...way too low

Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Disappointing that the mUPS is unable to deliver more than 0,7A at 24V.
Thougt it to be the ideal device for implementing custimized backup power for my stations, and mounted one this morning while upgrading one of them. Easy to leave a big 12v lead battery, achieving many hours operation during utility breakdowns. :D

Finished with the mounting I spent a couple of hours pulling my hair trying to figure out why the RB260GSP rebooted every minute or so. Swapped it for another one, disconnected loads, ran calibration etc but no use...
Then I read the brochure and found the limitation of 0,7A. :shock:
Typical station for me consists of PoE up to a weatherproof rooftop box with a RB260GSP supplying 4 Routerboards, like the one in the attached screenshot taken just now.
2x QRT ac, 1x SXT SA ac and 1x RB911ac, totalling about 700mA. In addition comes the RB260GSP itself, so I was shit out of luck from the start.

Nice idea, but why not design it capable of supplying let's say 2A? :shock:
ST_PoESW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: mUPS max output current...way too low

Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:26 am

Infact a battery connected charging capable PowerBox/Routerboard is what I have been asking MikroTik for long time.
Do not know when they will plan for it. And if 2A is consumed to power up equipments....how much is left for charging the battery.

And batteries should be good enough for 12 to 14 hrs backup. Battery status monitor would also be good.

Bomber67
Topic Author

Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:24 am

The mUPS is a great idea: small, simple and affordable, and you can use batteries of your own choice.
The running time of course depends on the size of the batteries, you decide.

On most sites I don't really need 2A..
But I think MT did not quite make it there when the mUPS is unable to supply a RB260GSP/CSS106 with 4 routerboards connected. Like I said, this is a rather common setup for me, and on some sites I even have to use 2x RB260GSP, still waiting for the PoE version of the CRS112 that we saw in Milan.

Either way, it is good practice to count in some factor, i.e. if my gear draws 700mA I would like to have something capable of at least 1A to supply it. We don't push the ratings.

Battery charging current will of course add to the total, as after an outage the mUPS will both have to supply the equipment AND charge batteries simultaneously.
Same charging current as draw of equipment means at least same charging time as outage time, so yes, on my wishlist is a mUPS XL with at least the double capacity, i,e, 1.5A PoE out supply and 2A charging.

So will you show us the mUPS XL on the Europe MUM 2018 Normis?

RK
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:48 pm

Agreed. The output current of the mUPS is far too low.

posedon
just joined

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Please Mikrotik, the XL MUPS is to necessary!!!!!!!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:21 pm

The current MUPS is only really aimed at single device upkeep such as clients CPE to keep internet going in case of power outage.

When I read your first post my knee-jerk reaction was that RB260GSP ships with 2.5A power adapter which I would not expect a MUPS to be able to do. It of course has the external battery connector so that would be the avenue to go down if you need longer runtime or if you need more amperage output you'd probably be better using a "real" UPS and connecting standard mains adapter to that.