Community discussions

MikroTik App

MulderSk
Topic Author

Wireless wire 60Ghz default password

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:56 am

What is the default password please ? because I cant connect through winbox on mac address admin blank don't work thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Wireless wire 60Ghz default password

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Have you read the instruction in the box?
https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/WirelessWire.pdf
username is admin and password is printed on the label that can be found inside the device cover.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:19 pm

New approach for standard default settings? Does it mean that if we loose the label and reset the device, we will not be able to log in anymore?

MartijnVdS
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:30 pm

New approach for standard default settings? Does it mean that if we loose the label and reset the device, we will not be able to log in anymore?
You can (presumably) always netinstall with a custom .rsc file

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes, but Wireless Wire is a special case, since they are already pre-configured to form a link, the user doesn't have to open the config page, just plug in the cable and use. This is why they must have a password set. Currently we don't plan to have the same strategy on all devices.

Gedeon
just joined

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 pm

Hello,

I have the same problem with routerboard sxt lite2.
The guide says login ; admin and no password.
But Winbox says login or password false!!!!!!
Sorry for my english

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 am

Normis. Why is it necessary to have the devices to be paired from manufacturing? And if, why it requires special admin passwords?

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:25 am

Normis. Why is it necessary to have the devices to be paired from manufacturing? And if, why it requires special admin passwords?
From what I understood, they are sold in pairs - and intended to be used only this way: as a drop in replacement to ethernet. Point one to another, plug the ethernet cable, turn it on and use it.

One big security problem that this kind of device have is the user: he will not change password. Hence, default passwords are a bad idea.

I liked it: is easy to use and secure.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:24 am

Exactly like Paternot said.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:34 pm

I understood the same. On contrary I believe that an admin has its own responsibility and none should overtake it from him or against him.

neg2led
just joined

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:29 am

You're right - but with the packaging materials and pre-paired nature of these units, it's pretty clear MT is trying to make something that they can sell on the shelves of electronics/computer parts stores. An actual consumer product, for a change - instead of something aimed at nerds like us.

Someone who wants or needs to access a device pair with a lost password (read: nerds like us) will be able to netinstall the devices to a clean state. Someone who lacks that know-how and just wants it to work can factory reset the units and they'll be re-paired, re-secure themselves, and the user never really has to worry about malicious attacks.

I don't think any of us will struggle with handling the included password stickers, or changing the password ourselves. Both units have the same password, there's a sticker under each unit's cable cover - you can peel the rest of the backer off and stick the sticker the whole way down, or just leave them as-is like I have - the potential for loss here isn't huge.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:10 pm

I understood the same. On contrary I believe that an admin has its own responsibility and none should overtake it from him or against him.
But it wasn't overtaken! The password is on the sticker. Use it, and change the unit as you want. The problem is: YOU are an administrator, and know what You are doing. The user isn't - and this is aimed at users.

We already are battling hordes of compromised zombies, from CCTV to IP cameras, due exactly to default password. If anything, Mikrotik should be applauded in killing this would be botnet on the cradle.

Yes, I know. You may loose the sticker. True. Why not netinstall it first, using the password you like? This isn't an ISP product: this is a consumer product.

I believe the ISP line will get around soon.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:40 am

Actually you can remove the password if you damage the sticker with the default password. This is from the manual. Reset button has different functionality than standard:
5 second button hold on startup USR LED light starts flashing - resets to password protected state.
10 second button hold on startup USR LED turns solid after flashing - completely removes configuration.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... tion_Reset

Also the Quick Guide paper says the same:
Release the button when green LED starts flashing, to reset RouterOS configuration to defaults.
Release the button when the LED turns solid green to clear all configuration and defaults.
https://i.mt.lv/routerboard/files/WirelessWire.pdf

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am

If there is a way to reset to standard admin user with blank password, then I take back my comments and thank you.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 am

If there is a way to reset to standard admin user with blank password, then I take back my comments and thank you.
The second option you should enjoy. It removes the default config (quickset style) and only leaves admin with no password.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 am

Good. Thank you.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:51 am

I think it is a good idea even for certain routers (the lower-segment ones). Similar for the WiFi security.
As written above, the typical consumer will just plug it in and when it works they will not do any further configuration.
In typical consumer routers today, the WiFi comes up with WPA2 and a pre-set password, not "open" to the world.

Of course a weakness often is that the pre-set password isn't random but it is generated from the device MAC address
using some "cryptographic" algorithm that becomes known after time. Then the hackers can calculate the default password
from the observed MAC address and/or the SSID (which is generated from the MAC address too).

Hopefully on the 60G a different method was used... it is of course best when the default password is independently
generated (randomized) at the factory and stored somewhere separate from the MAC address.

salamon
just joined

Thu May 10, 2018 4:49 pm

confirming successfull reset to clear ROS via releasing button in solid LED state after flashing LED state (aprox 10s) (we had lost labels)

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Unpacked a RBwAPG-60ad, Login with Winbox (no Password set), reset config, updated to 6.43.rc27, now I cant Login: "wrong username or password".
Tried the 10s reset method. Does not help.

There is no sticker. This is the AP Version, no wireless wire.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Upgrade to Winbox 3.14 and next time post the version number you are using. Or do some very basic research on the forum first.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Upgrade to Winbox 3.14 and next time post the version number you are using. Or do some very basic research on the forum first.
Did but failed ;-)). Thanks. Using newer Winbox did the job.

Nate97
just joined

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 pm

Hello! Ordered the wireless wire kit off amazon, and have been tinkering with the kit for the past day or so. I set each ap up, plugged them in, connected them, ensured they were pointing at each other less than 25 feet apart, and I have no connection. I've reset the configuration per the manual in both manners:
"5 second button hold on startup USR LED light starts flashing - resets to password protected state.
10 second button hold on startup USR LED turns solid after flashing - completely removes configuration.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:I ... tion_Reset"
But I haven't had any luck. Is it something I'm doing wrong? I've managed to get into the configuration a couple of times via winbox and the web gui tool. The configuration is a bit jarring to look at, having come from a cisco/ubnt class and home lab, and I'm not quite sure if I'm technically capable of restoring a wireless ptp connection between these aps through those utilities. Is there any way to attempt to restore the "Default" configuration that comes out of the box? Am I overlooking something? Thank you so much for your assistance.

amtechpc
just joined

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 pm

I've tried everything that is says to do but I still can not logon to the wireless wire " wrong username or password "

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Took over client from another service provider, previous service provider created their own admin user / password and removed the default admin user.

The equipment is now mounted on masts, etc, is there a way to get the default admin user / password from the device for record keeping purposes?

Using "/sys default-configuration pri" does not show anything, points to a variable "$defconfPassword" which details I cant find anywhere, and don't want to climb masts if not necessary to get this info.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 pm

With old firmware this is easy. Just use the availabe winbox attacks that return the user/password information. With new firmware, not so easy.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:11 pm

I've tried everything that is says to do but I still can not logon to the wireless wire " wrong username or password "
The default password is on the label, isn't it? (I don't have a Wireless Wire myself but I understood that it is the first device to not use the old "admin"/"" default login after reset, which it good)

lukix
just joined

Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:17 am

Hi guys,
I have similar and strange exeriences with RBLHGG-60ad . I have bought as a kit master/slave. I have configured the devices, they were up and running correctly. Yesterday I have updated to 6.46.1 and performed "system reset-configuration" on AP (master) side.

Sticker there says:
IP: 192.168.88.2
login: admin
password: secretpassword

Device is reset, strange is it has ip 192.168.88.3 (instad of 192.168.88.2 that is on the sticker) I can se it in winbox, telnet, web, ssh but no matter I try I receive "wrong username or password"

I have treied password from the sticker, my old admin password, blank password but none works... :-( I dont want to climb to the roof and perform netinstall... What could be wrong? Probably the reset didnt went fine and screwed up something internaly?

Thx in advance for any hint.

stucard
just joined

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:07 am

I bought my wireless wire last winter, tested the pair in my home office, set my own administrative user name & password, all good.
Then I tried putting 1 unit in the adjacent building, but snow-covered foliage blocked the signal.
This summer, we removed the obstructions, so now I am trying again.
I had set things up to bridge the existing LANs in the 2 buildings (not 192.168.88.0, but I kept that LAN in the config, just added some more addresses & networks).
This however was untested due to the wireless signal blockage.
Now that I have a clear path, I started troubleshooting my customized configuration, with no joy.
So I used WinBox to reset the configuration and reboot the master (not yet the slave), so I could get back to the factory preconfigured pairing.

Alas! Now neither the administrative user name & password, nor "admin" and the password on the sticker inside the case work.
Nor does it work if I use "admin" and my own selected password. Nor if I use my selected user name and the password on the sticker.
Nor "admin" with the sticker password, dropping the "-". Nor "admin" with the sticker password, changing the printed lower case to upper case.

I am loathe to do the 10 second long reset button press because then I lose the preconfigured pairing of the units, and I have not found sufficient documentation to enable me to recreate it.

Help? Thanks!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:13 am

Did you try admin and empty password?

stucard
just joined

Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:00 am

Just tried admin with no password, per your suggestion; WinBox still reports "ERROR: wrong username or password"
If I do the 10-second long press on the reset button, is there a default config file for the wireless wire I can download?
I am very strong on routing, much less so on bridging, and not familiar with RouterOS specifics (e.g. nomenclature for settings), so hoping to avoid a huge learning curve.
Thanks!

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:11 pm

I have no experience with this particular device, but I guess that when you do a full reset of the device it will come up with the default settings or else you can click the button for reset to defaults once you have logged in.
I do not know how they manage those passwords printed on the stickers and the pairing with the other device. Other MikroTik devices do not have that, they come up with empty admin password by default.
It could be that these wireless wire devices do that as well, or it could be they magically revert to the sticker password.
(it would seem like a good idea to copy that password before installing such a device on the roof, even when you change it...)

Setting up a pair of devices to bridge mode to connect two networks should be a piece of cake. The quickset menu offers that option. At most you would have to set some SSID and password at one end, and the corresponding values at the other end.

nem64
just joined

Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:34 pm

Apologies for the necro, but I'm putting this here in case someone encounters the same problem
I had to reset both of mine due to a plethora of reasons. However I was too dumb to backup the password before hand so I went looking for the label but it was ripped off due to our harsh and dry weather. The box was also no where to be found as I got this unit years ago.

Anyhow, after much thought I decided to reset my local unit to factory WITHOUT the default config.. So hold the reset button for 10 seconds or until the USR LED freezes. Afterwards I created a new account in
System -> Users
. Make sure to give it full permissions and a memorable password. Then I went to
System -> Reset Configuration
and reset the unit WITH "Keep users" CHECKED. Afterwards the unit reset to its default config but the account we created is still there!

After logging in with the previous created password I was able to extract the password. The login password is the same one that's used in the w60g interface. You can then use that password to login to the remote device and configure it as you wish!