Community discussions

MikroTik App

jackrose
just joined
Topic Author

RB14eU PCIe Issues

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Hello,

I am having an issue with getting the RB14eU to be detected under pci-e on my motherboard. When I plug in usb, the mini pci-e cards appear to function, but I am unable to get it to work without using usb.

I tried on the following motherboards:
  • Asus A1M1-A -- AMD socket AM1
  • Asus Crosshair V Formula Z -- AMD socket AM3+

I have read that this card is finicky and likes certain motherboards. What I was unable to discover was the reason why. Is it a power issue? The 3v3 led light is lit up regardless of whether all 4 mini pci-e slots are used, or if no slots are used. I do not see PLX listed either when I look in Device Manager in Windows.

Speaking of that, is this more of a OS issue? I am running on x64 and I have read that x86 might be needed? I tried scouring Google for any official info I could find on this card and all I came up with is the MikroTik brochure for it. Did MikroTik ever release a manual or other information pertaining to this card?

I can live with using usb with the card. However the RB14e does not have the usb headers connected to it, so I assume these boards are capable of reading mini pci-e cards through the pci-e interface.

Thank-you for any feedback you can provide.

jackrose
just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB14eU PCIe Issues

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:32 am

So I got to see what folks meant by the RB14eU being picky with mini pci-e cards. By pure bad luck, all the cards I decided to use on it besides one did not show up at all. The one that did was actually hiding under a generic name in Device Manager, so that's why I was under the assumption that the card was not functioning correctly.

I ran some tests on other mini pci-e cards that I had lying around and here are the results:

Cards that work:
Linkreal LRST8615-4IT --- ASM1061 (may actually be Marvell 88se9215)
Avermedia H339AE-HF
Avermedia A323AK
HP 588551-001 --- WN6602RH-H1-1A
Intel Advanced N + Wimax 6150 --- 612BNXHMW
Intel Advanced N 6200 --- 622ANHMW
Intel Advanced N 6205 --- 62205ANHMW
MPCIE2U-R01 (USB 3.0 header)

Cards that don't work:
Sierra AirPrime MC8355
2723A-UNDP1
Haupauge T326N
Anatel BCM92046

I was also discovered the PLX SDK. With that I was able to see which lanes were working for given cards. I ran into an issue with the PLX Device Editor where it did not want to launch (it was stuck on a white screen). I found a workaround of sorts by going into PLX Driver Options Wizard, clicking on PLX PCI/PCIe Service, and stopping the driver. Device Editor will shortly open up after doing this (may need to minimize to see and close the license window). While the driver service is no longer running, it does provide information for Device Editor to go off of.

As far as I know in Linux, the RB14eU works fine. In Debian I am able to pick up my compatible mini pci-e cards without issue. Now I just need to figure out the reason why these non working cards do not work... For example the Haupauge T326N isn't seen via pci-e, but it does show up when the usb header is used. So is it a power issue or a wiring issue? I wonder if taping over some pins like what is done in laptops to get around whitelisting would help.

Edit:
The following card: CMB40BS1401-016 was originally under the non working list. However I have not been able to get this card to function in other computers outside of using the RB14eu, so I think this is more a faulty card rather than it being not pcie compatible.
Last edited by jackrose on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

jackrose
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 am

I decided to do a pin presence test between two good and two bad mini pcie cards.

I found the following differences:
Pins 11, 13, 23, 25, 31, 33 were missing on the bad cards.
Pins 11 and 13 appear to be designated for clock input.
Pins 23 and 25 are Pci Express RX pins and 31 and 33 are Pci Express TX pins.
These appear to be the problem pins.

Pins 36 and 38 were wired on the bad cards.
These appear to be usb transmit and receive pins.

Conclusion based on the test:
The two good cards are only wired for pcie and the two bad cards are only wired for usb.

Notes:
Pins 46 and 48 were flip-flopped for wiring. On the two good cards, both pins were missing.
But on the bad ones; one had 46 wired and 48 missing and vice versa for the other bad card.
Pin 46 appears to be for Blutooth led (WPAN) and pin 48 appears to be for 1.5 volt.
These pins arent likely the trouble pins.

One of the cards was a CDMA modem. This card had the following additional pins connected: 8, 10, 12, 14.
This was the only one that looked different compared to the other cards for this section of pins.
This appears to be for sim card support.

I used the following link for referencing the pins:
https://allpinouts.org/pinouts/connecto ... mini-card/

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:04 pm

Could you make a picture of the setup how you connected the RB14eu to the board and also the external USB cable?
Do you see the USB interfaces in the system when you connect the USB cable?

jackrose
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm

I went ahead and created an album of photos and images.

The RB14eu is connected to a pcie 1x slot (bottom most slot) on an Asus AM1M-A motherboard. This seems to function without issue, as the PLX tools are able to detect all the lanes for the mini pcie cards. Of note, it detects 5 downstream lanes. I am not sure if this is because the chip itself supports 5 but the card only uses 4, or if the 5th lane is used for something else on the card.

I am using the usb header instead of the connectors on the end of the card. In the device manager image, I expanded two groups that had mini pcie cards. One of the AHCI Sata controllers is for the Linkreal ASM1061, which is communicating via pcie. The Dell Digital tv card is the Haupauge T326N, which is only able to communicate via usb.

I am running the PLX software on Windows 10 x64 alongside Java version 6u45. I am not sure if Java 6 is needed, but I originally ran into issues using the latest Java SE.

uldis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:16 pm

maybe you could try to install a RotuerOS version on a USB stick and check if those USB devices are recognized in the RouterOS.

jackrose
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:39 am

It took a bit of playing around as it is my first time trying RouterOS, but I was able to confirm that the Happauge mini pcie card does also show up in RouterOS under usb devices.

I added two additional photos to the album. One shows the usb devices, and the other one shows the pcie devices that RouterOS sees.

baos
just joined

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:25 pm

Found your thread while looking up asus compatibility to RB14EU. While this thread is a few months old, I would like to mention for anyone who finds this thread on a search that the RB14eU has issues being detected by motherboards and that it is the manufacturers of motherboards who have not supported it. I spent a couple months of back and forth with asrock. I use an n3150M asrock motherboard and this card is detected with the first revision of bios(1.10). asrock also sent me an updated bios which they never released to the public and may be the cause of some other issues, but also detects the RB14eU.