Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jordi
just joined
Topic Author

How to do a memory test in a CCR?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Hello,

first of all, I apologize for my English. I want to do a memory test with a CCR 1036 with routerOS v6.41.1, because we have had several reboots due to kernel failure. I've read in other posts that this is possible from boot loader menu but that option does not appear, at least in this routerOS version. In the attached image you can see the menu with the options it gives.

Is there any other possibility to do such a test?

Thank you very much in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: How to do a memory test in a CCR?

Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:09 am

CPU Frequency at 400 MHz? The nominal clock is 1200MHz. Does it boot at low frequency, and increase it later?

Well, I don't know about memory test on the boot console - but the 2 CCR 1036, with 4GiB of RAM, listed on the site use replaceable memory modules. As they are standard SODIMM, you can always put them on a notebook and test...

Although a native memory test, without all this fuss of taking them out, would be much better...

Jordi
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks by your replay, Paternot.

About the CPU frequency, we had set it at 400Mhz in some tests that we did, but the problem of kernel failure is prior to that and the frequency was always set at 1200Mhz.

I'll try to test the memory modules in a notebook, as you said, thank you.

krautzj
just joined

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:27 pm

I believe there is no memory test option for CCRs anymore. I read somewhere on these forums that they removed it from the bootloader because it was not producing reliable results.

I also had to test the RAM of a CCR1036 recently due to kernel failures, and the method I used was the one Paternot recommended. We found an old laptop with the same SODIMM slots and ran memtest on them. If you do the same, then I recommend letting each RAM module test several times, maybe even overnight, just to be certain.

Jordi
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Hello,

following your advice, I tested the memory modules several times in a notebook but no problems were found. I'll continue looking for what could have caused the kernel failure.

Thank you so much.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:10 pm

Upgrade to RouterOS v6.41.2 and then upgrade bootloader to v6.41.2. Then make tests and see if crashes disappeared.