Community discussions

MikroTik App

dorijan69
just joined
Topic Author

wap AC real world experience

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi to all,
does anyone have any real time world experience with wap ac number of simultaneous users (primary ac mode, new phones) with LOS? How many users can I put on one AP?

Thank you.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: wap AC real world experience

Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Been using them for a while in caps-man.

Will not use for installs where the WAN speed exceeds 150. These wAPs can't keep up.

Really hoping that the cAP AC does not have this problem.

Quindor

Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:23 am

I have 5 of them in and around my home in a CAPSman setup, it's been working great for me.

While they may not offer the blistering speeds you see advertised everywhere I'm able to pull about 250Mbit through them with my Laptop in most situations and my Galaxy S7 hits around 180Mbit.

Realistically, even with those 450$ AP's you see now stating speeds of 2000Mbit+, you are not going to get much more per client. Also it's much more efficient to spread out several AP's throughout your home, creating much better coverage then having multiple radio's in 1 device on the same band, walls and floors still dampen the signal, better to get the AP closer, but that's my opinion about those AP's. ;)

More important, CAPSman works well (once configured), tunneled traffic works well, roaming depends on the client device but mostly works well too and I have about 20 devices connected most of the time (peak was 50 during a party) and the system kept working perfectly. Stability is very important for me because all the lights in the house are run using a self built dimmer that connects through WiFi! No WiFi, no lights. :P

So for the price and features I think they are great. Again, these are not the APs you are looking for if you want the best transfer speeds possible, but stability and a good price. My GF plays league of legends on our WiFi every day without a hiccup, with lots of other things going on too.

--update
I did some real world tests with the hap AC here, although that's a different device they are very similar in hardware and thus the results should be identical.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm

I have dozens of screen shots of side by sides with A Ruckus AP to Mikrotik hAP AC to a Mikrotik wAP AC.

There are 200-300M differences between back to back tests.

Quindor

Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:20 am

I have dozens of screen shots of side by sides with A Ruckus AP to Mikrotik hAP AC to a Mikrotik wAP AC.

There are 200-300M differences between back to back tests.
I'd love to see those tests, always interesting!

If I take a look at regular to expensive AP's, ~300Mbit is about the max that is regularly achieved in realistic scenarios, exactly as I got with the hAP AC and wAP AC.

As I mentioned, I performed all these tests myself. I don't have seperate data for the hAP AC and wAP AC because they are literally the same in regard to hardware except for 2x2 2.4Ghz on the wAP AC where the hAP AC has 3x3. Other then that it's the same hardware, even the antenna design is mostly the same. So I don't think you are going to see a 200Mbit to 300Mbit difference there, also my daily usage of several wAP AC proves this.

As I mentioned though, no these are not the highest performing, single client access-points I've ever seen or used. But they aren't bad either, as I stated above. These are not suited for "one AP per home" type scenarios but do very well in deployments with multiple AP's where you don't want too powerful antennas, etc. this is what they were designed for and hence my statement that it's better to have a few low power APs spread out through your home then having a single "high power" one somewhere (hopefully) in the middle, whatever AP you are using, especially in modern homes with reinforced concrete floors, only having a single AP doesn't make sense any longer since the 5Ghz era.

Anyway, enough has been written about this I think. No these are not the ultimate AP, but for the price, the functionality that it comes with and how they perform, they are a very good anyway.

bds1904
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:21 am

I have 3x WAP AC’s, one HAP AC and 2x WAP’s all running in CAPSMAN controlled by a 3011.

That being said I regularly see 250mbit thruput on dual chain AC devices. No issues with stability, latency or thruput. While running capsman the WAP AC is limited to about 250-300mbit before it gets close to maxing the CPU.

In regards to number of clients, it’s really limited by how clean the spectrum is and how much CPU your capsman controller has. The WAP doesn’t really process where the traffic goes while it’s a CAP, it just tunnels the traffic to the controller and broadcasts/receives over the Wi-Fi.

Bottom line: WAP AC is great for 1000sq feet in a “standard construction” home. Any more than 1000sq feet and/or plaster construction and the 5ghz signal will start to fall off. The WAP AC really shines in a multi-AP configuration.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:41 pm

Quindor

There is a thread from about a year ago with all my pics in there.

Last week I was comparing local forwarding vs caps forwarding.

wAP AC Local seems to hit about 270M Caps hits about 190M.

Ruckus R610 consistently hits right around 600M.

This in a environment with only 7 active clients and about 40 encroaching networks.
Both APs sit in the same spot and are connected one at a time. SSIDS Encryption and channels are set to match.
Several devices will be set to "do minor things". While this laptop is sat in the same spot with its AC V2 card and 2 receiving antennas runs speed tests against several US servers including the ISPs.

I just ordered the cAP ACs in hope that they come closer with a better processor and I hope AC V2 radios.
I would love to not have to Use Ruckus. Its expensive and an uphill battle to get people to buy it. But IT outperforms Tik wAPs handily.

I can tune the heck out of the Tik wAPs and get much better roaming than UniF--k... I can do one password per device for security. but if they kick off the speedtest... The UniF--k is going to show higher numbers.