Community discussions

MikroTik App

esquirrel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to open the puzzle-box like case of the hAp-lite TC (Rb941-2nd -for antenna mod)without scratching or destroying it?

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:23 am

There must be a trick to it but I am not coming up with it. I want to add external antennas. I have worked with Hirose style u.fl/IPX type connectors before (its easy once you get the hang of it) and have everything I need as far as soldering. My guess is that a specific tool must exist, one that frustrates the designs of those like myself who would always want to look behind the veil, so to speak? Anyway, I don't want to break it.

Edit: There is a good video on soldering u.fl on YouTube "Hand-soldering u.fl connectors" by user "TwistedPearAuio"

Also, the UART looks interesting. Is it a 3.3volt UART console? Will add a header and some short wires to a DB9 or similar on the outside (in the USB cutout if there is one) if it is. If antenna jacks are added they should both be anchored in an appropriately sized piece of metal thats attached securely to the case. Putting female SMAs or whatever into plastic wont last. You don't want to be plugging in and removing Hirose / u.fl connectors, they are not designed for much use, they have a very limited number of uses (30?) in them.

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: How to open the puzzle-box like case of the hAp-lite TC (Rb941-2nd -for antenna mod)without scratching or destroying

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 pm

I would be surprised if there are mounting points for external antennas. The last device with user modifiable antennas was hAP AC I believe, now they are boring PCB trace or metal flap antennas like every other router you can find at a big box retailer.

esquirrel
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: How to open the puzzle-box like case of the hAp-lite TC (Rb941-2nd -for antenna mod)without scratching or destroying

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:57 pm

Yes, you're right, that is exactly what they are doing, however one can solder a tiny coaxial connector to the pads which are already there for testing purposes, and then run two pigtails to a different style coaxial connector.
Its very easy to attach a u.fl connector if the pads are already there. A simple fix would be to take the two adjustable antennas and chassis mounting plate from one of my old access points and use that. But the coax on them uses MCX and I will have female IPX/u.fl.

Will have to investigate my options there. That would likely be the most professional looking. That will give me a reverse TNC type connection. (like on my old Linksys WRT54GL The pair of 2.4 GHz antennas are from an older BEFW something.)

Have to go looking through my junk box to find them- plate and pigtails to see if they are long enough. They probably are. Alternatively I can use u.fl to SMA pigtails I have but then I will have to find and drill a metal plate myself or put up with SMAs attached just through the plastic.

The antennas on the PCB look like they are little J-pole like antennas. One is vertical, one is horizontal on the top. Photos are on the net.

How is the best way to open the box, pushing the little tabs in with a screwdriver maybe wrapped in cloth? (trying to do it gently?)