Community discussions

MikroTik App

doctorcompton
just joined
Topic Author

RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition has 5v fan pinout, but no method of using it?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:23 pm

Hello MikroTik, I am curious as to why there is a 5v fan pinout on the PCB of the RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition but there are no settings or drivers in the software to accommodate for this. I added my own fan to the router, but it doesn't turn on, nor am I able to find any settings relating to the fan or voltage for the pins. This is a screenshot showing where the pins are:
I've installed the fan to the pinout, but the fan doesn't move. The fan has been tested with a power supply and is proven to work, and I've also tried another fan entirely. I've also tried installing the fan on another Dude Edition that I own. Has anyone successfully done this, or have any information on how to make this work? It seems pretty silly to have the pinout on the board but have no way of using it.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any and all responses!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RB1100AHx4 Dude Edition has 5v fan pinout, but no method of using it?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:54 pm

I think on some of the other models the temperature has to exceed 40 degrees C before the fan will begin to work, may be your box wasn't hot enough. The setting could be in System>Routboard>Fan

doctorcompton
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:16 pm

That's a good point, that could be why it hasn't powered on for me. I've checked in that menu subsection, but I don't have that option available. I considered literally heating up the router just to see if this were true, but I don't have a controlled and reliable means of getting it hot. I also don't want to accidentally break it, lol

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:17 am

That's a good point, that could be why it hasn't powered on for me. I've checked in that menu subsection, but I don't have that option available. I considered literally heating up the router just to see if this were true, but I don't have a controlled and reliable means of getting it hot. I also don't want to accidentally break it, lol
Hairdryer would get the ambient up nicely. The temperatures are taken form both CPU and ambient if memory serves correctly. A hairdryer pointing into the router would do exactly what you need.

vadimbn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:42 am

It seems pretty silly to have the pinout on the board but have no way of using it.
It seems pretty silly to use fan with this router. There is no need any fans or hairdryer. I have this router and he works in datacenter about half year - themperature of processor is about 35 - 39 degrees all this time. This is normal themperature for this device. In my fanless CRS326 the processor heat to 70 degrees without any problems. Also thin fans from your "tutorial" are short-lived, and without of control of it's health from RouterOS this is very low effective solution.

doctorcompton
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:18 pm

I agree, the fan I chose in the tutorial isn't the best choice. I picked that because I wanted to test out the idea in general, and the fan has actually helped. My router is deployed in an enclosed metal box on top of a dusty grain elevator. At times it will heat nearly into the 80C range just from the sunlight, and I currently have no other method of keeping the box cool. It seems to help a little bit just to have the ambient air moving through the router at all, so it works for me. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of a nicely temperature controlled datacenter, just needed a quick and dirty fix until I can get something else going. If you have any better suggestions for me, feel free to post them too.

vadimbn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:45 pm

In this case I apologize for my harsh statement. Usually i use fans similar to used in other mikrotik's routers. You can use fans with maglev technology of Sunon for example. Please see models MF30150V1-1000U-A99 or MF30150V2-1000U-A99 from this catalogue. They have high RPMs and it is high effective solution.

doctorcompton
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:56 pm

It's all good, I appreciate the apology; no harm, no foul. Those look like excellent replacements as well, I will look into that company too. Do your fans run 24/7, or are they managed by temperature change? Thank you for pointing me to those, I'm grateful for the help!

jspool

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 pm

How long before somebody tries out water cooling a Mikrotik? :D

vadimbn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:00 am

Hm... But also why not try to use heat pipes for removal of part of heat to metallic case of the router?

managed by temperature change?
These air fans can works 24/7. But if You want to manage the RPM of the fan then You can use something like this. Of course You will need to plug it directly to PSU via the voltage regulator.

jspool

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:02 am

Hm... But also why not try to use heat pipes for removal of part of heat to metallic case of the router?

Personally I use the https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1009-8G-1S-1SplusPC at home which pipes the heat to the rear heatsink. The passive cooling is worth every penny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4 ;)

managed by temperature change?
These air fans can works 24/7. But if You want to manage the RPM of the fan then You can use something like this. Of course You will need to plug it directly to PSU via the voltage regulator.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:19 am

At times it will heat nearly into the 80C range just from the sunlight, and I currently have no other method of keeping the box cool.
Low tech is, sometimes, better. If most of the heat comes from sunlight, why not put it in a shade? It's just light - even a thin white plastic covering it, like an umbrella, would have a huge effect. I know this isn't your question, but...

EDIT: Covering it, not wrapping.

jspool

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 am

At times it will heat nearly into the 80C range just from the sunlight, and I currently have no other method of keeping the box cool.
Low tech is, sometimes, better. If most of the heat comes from sunlight, why not put it in a shade? It's just light - even a thin white plastic covering it, like an umbrella, would have a huge effect. I know this isn't your question, but...

EDIT: Covering it, not wrapping.
Good advice. In some situations its hard to implement. In my case at some of the tower sites we are the tallest thing on the mountain and there are zero trees and periodic winds that will destroy just about anything. With ambient out of box temps peaking at 110 degrees there is not a tremendous amount that one can do in such situations. Also there is a scenic commission that will not allow anything reflective or ugly in their eyes to be placed or mounted in the region. However every little thing that you can do should help.