MikroTik App

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Router with 2 WLAN cards.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:57 pm

Greetings everyone!

I am looking for your knowledge on whether a MT hardware exists that incorporates 2 separate WLAN cards.

What I am looking to do is have WLAN1 connect to an AP and the other card WLAN2, to work as an AP itself, on which clients will be connecting. I am looking to have the clients connecting on WLAN2 accessing the internet through WLAN1 (again WLAN1 will be a client connecting to a separate AP)

Thank you in advance.

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Router with 2 WLAN cards.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:05 pm

All variants based on the RB9x2 boards (NetMetal, BaseBox) can be upgraded to 2 WLANS by adding a second mini PCIe wlan card.
You can also order the board itself (RB912, RB922, RB953, maybe even RB433 - depending on your needs) and build your own custom design...
Last edited by docmarius on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:09 pm

Also, all dual band models have two WLANs: one using 2,4GHz and another 5GHz. If You can use one frequency to connect the clients, and another to connect to the AP...

docmarius
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 pm

And there is another option: You can run a virtual AP on an interface while doing a WDS connection at the same time... The downside is it has to be on the same channel.

ramirez
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 am

Thank you all!
I was under the impression that dual band models simply allow simultaneous connections on 2.4 and 5Ghz and that they don’t allow for separate routing rules. Also regarding a VLAN, I was unaware that I can have an AP and a wds station at the same time, operating it at the same channel is ok.
What do you think?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:40 pm

Dual-band models have two completely independent radios and you can configure them in completely different fashion.

For example: I have a setup where I'm using two hAP ac. I'm using 5GHz to create bridge (using NV2 protocol) while I'm using 2.4GHz on both to provide WiFI (802.11) coverage.
In addition to that, one is also acting as router and firewall :wink:

When using virtual AP, you can configure most of things completely independent from "real" AP. Only a few things need to be the same (and you don't even have possibility to set them for VAP), such as wireless mode (802.11 vs. NV2 vs. nstreme), frequency, ...

MarcoCruz
just joined

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:22 pm

Hi
I've just discovered MikroTik gear this afternoon, and registered to post in this thread :D
I'm searching a device with to accomplish the goals proposed by ramirez.
But in my scenario, dual band will not be enoug. I need to conect directional antenas to wlan0 (Bridge) and omnidirectiotal antenas to wlan1(AP), is there a MikroTik device ready to use in this scenario?
thanks in advance