Community discussions

MikroTik App

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Mikrotik hardware? → 10-30 person business (fibre/wifi/guestwifi/L2TP/etc.)

Wed May 02, 2018 6:44 am

Hi all

I've done some research but there isn't anything I've found with sufficient overlap with my question, hence the post :D

I'm investigating which Mikrotik hardware is appropriate for various types of client. Generally they are small offices of a few people up to 30 people.

All have fibre internet via an ONT (optical network termination) and PPPOE. Fibre speeds are typically 100/100 megabits/s but run up to 200/200. Most are around 100mbps.

Features vary but some clients would just need basic routing, whereas other requirements might be guest wifi network segregation, etc.

* Fibre connection (30-200 mbps typically; PPPOE) routing
* LAN routing
* Wifi
* Guest wifi
* VPN for offsite VPN clients (L2TP/IPsec) ~ 30% of clients
* VPN for remote office network connection ~ 10% of clients

All clients have wired LANs via a gigabit switch connecting to the router.

I'd much appreciate any/all views and recommendations as to Mikrotik hardware to achieve the above.

It may be that these requirements demand different hardware recommendations. For example, clients with fewer than say 12 people vs.12+ people.

Cheers

Pohutukawa

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik hardware? → 10-30 person business (fibre/wifi/guestwifi/L2TP/etc.)

Wed May 02, 2018 5:12 pm

rb1100ahx4 for router this router can handle up to 300mbps even with a heavy firewall mangle and QoS configuration

wAP AC for wifi (how many depends of your scenario) keep in mind this access-point is designed for high performance, high capacity and high density of users not for wide area coverage

FrancoR
just joined

Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Hi all

I've done some research but there isn't anything I've found with sufficient overlap with my question, hence the post :D

I'm investigating which Mikrotik hardware is appropriate for various types of client. Generally they are small offices of a few people up to 30 people.

All have fibre internet via an ONT (optical network termination) and PPPOE. Fibre speeds are typically 100/100 megabits/s but run up to 200/200. Most are around 100mbps.

Features vary but some clients would just need basic routing, whereas other requirements might be guest wifi network segregation, etc.

* LAN routing
* Wifi
* Guest wifi

I'd much appreciate any/all views and recommendations as to Mikrotik hardware to achieve the above.

It may be that these requirements demand different hardware recommendations. For example, clients with fewer than say 12 people vs.12+ people.

Cheers

Pohutukawa
Hi there,

my suggestion is to buy a small router and install it at home/in a test environment.
AFAIK RouterOS is the same for all the hardware, so you can check if it does what you need.
Also you can take a new hardware (like hAP ac^2) and see how and how fast the support is in case you have troubles/updates and so on.
Hope this helps.

See you around

P.S. Are you downunder? 8)

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 3:50 am

rb1100ahx4 for router this router can handle up to 300mbps even with a heavy firewall mangle and QoS configuration

wAP AC for wifi (how many depends of your scenario) keep in mind this access-point is designed for high performance, high capacity and high density of users not for wide area coverage
Thanks chechito. That rb1100ahx4 looks like quite high-spec for this role, but maybe I'm not looking forward enough and should consider basic future needs.

I appreciate your response!

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2018 3:51 am

Hi all

* LAN routing
* Wifi
* Guest wifi

Cheers

Pohutukawa
Hi there,

my suggestion is to buy a small router and install it at home/in a test environment.
AFAIK RouterOS is the same for all the hardware, so you can check if it does what you need.
Also you can take a new hardware (like hAP ac^2) and see how and how fast the support is in case you have troubles/updates and so on.
Hope this helps.

See you around

P.S. Are you downunder? 8)
Thanks for your thoughts!

Yes, downunder!

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri May 04, 2018 5:05 am

Thanks chechito. That rb1100ahx4 looks like quite high-spec for this role, but maybe I'm not looking forward enough and should consider basic future needs.

the thing about sizing the router is thinking about taking advantage of ROuterOS functionality on a heavy and complex configuration

sure you can go with an small rb750gr3 on fast track making only NAT and a very simple and optimized configuration for that 200mbps

but the day you need some more complex configuration that rb750gr3 CPU will be not enough to move the 200mbps on a complex configuration

and a complex configuration is not rare, every day more and more networks need a heavy QoS traffic control configuration to ensure a good experience, and that's when you need more CPU muscle to move it

with rb1100ahx4 you have plenty of gigabit interfaces to play with it, maybe you can save on a lan switch if you dont need many ports, and enough CPU muscle to move a full QoS config up to 300mbps without problem

that´s the reason of the recommendation

pohutukawa
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2018 5:13 am

the thing about sizing the router is thinking about taking advantage of ROuterOS functionality on a heavy and complex configuration

sure you can go with an small rb750gr3 on fast track making only NAT and a very simple and optimized configuration for that 200mbps

but the day you need some more complex configuration that rb750gr3 CPU will be not enough to move the 200mbps on a complex configuration

and a complex configuration is not rare, every day more and more networks need a heavy QoS traffic control configuration to ensure a good experience, and that's when you need more CPU muscle to move it

with rb1100ahx4 you have plenty of gigabit interfaces to play with it, maybe you can save on a lan switch if you dont need many ports, and enough CPU muscle to move a full QoS config up to 300mbps without problem

that´s the reason of the recommendation
Hi again chechito!

Thank you for the follow-up response. I have ordered a few units of different models just to see how they go.

If you are able, I'd be very interested in your assessment of the RB3011UIAS-RM vs. rb1100ahx4 for an office of 20-30 people. Simple VPN (incoming) L2TP/Ipsec. Never more than 3-4 incoming VPN connections. Fibre link unlikely to be more than 200kbps in the short-medium term.

Thanks again!

Pohutukawa