Community discussions

MikroTik App

ccl13
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

How to PoE power CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC

Sat May 05, 2018 8:48 pm

I have one CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC and I am trying to get it powered by PoE, at least partially. The specification says it supports passive PoE in 18-57V, which means 802.3af/at with proper setup should work. However I tried many switch / adapter to power the router, none worked as the router never powers up, and I could not see any wattage drawn from PoE switch / adapter.

Please help!

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: How to PoE power CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC  [SOLVED]

Sat May 05, 2018 9:55 pm

802.3af/at standard is "active" PoE. It requires negotiation by the devices.

Passive PoE is a different, incompatible standard. Mikrotik makes Gigabit Passive PoE injectors you can use if your switch doesn't provide *passive* PoE output.

Also, most Mikrotik devices accept PoE input on port ether1 only.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ccl13
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: How to PoE power CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC

Sun May 06, 2018 11:27 am

802.3af/at standard is "active" PoE. It requires negotiation by the devices.

Passive PoE is a different, incompatible standard. Mikrotik makes Gigabit Passive PoE injectors you can use if your switch doesn't provide *passive* PoE output.

Also, most Mikrotik devices accept PoE input on port ether1 only.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Thank you. This is valuable information!

After post the thread I read into manual and spec a bit more and pretty much concluded passive PoE would be an issue here. So I have an adapter ordered but not arrived yet. Will see if that works. What confused me before is that I also have an Ubiquiti AP that is with passive PoE at 48V and it works perfectly with my PoE powering switch. Which made me think "passive" might mean this is some sort of dumb-PoE-PD that accepts power without negotiation. I assume this might be an odd case after all.

Just to share some info, on this model it says on enclosure ether7 is PoE/Boot so I assume it must be the correct PoE-in port.

jo2jo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How to PoE power CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+PC

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:20 am

to add some info to this thread, i was disappointed to find out that my UBNT EdgeSwitch (24p / 250w) was unable to passive POE power my new CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ (non passive cooling, full 19" version). This is the fault / limit of the UBNT Switch, as its specs show that it only allows up to 17w per port, when a port is set to 24v passive POE. (so my CCR would power up, then about 10s into booting would power off, as the UBNT SW was cutting power due to overload). Sad on the UBNT SW's part, as this SW supports up to 34.5w out per port, if its powering a PD via 802.3at (poe+ active), so the 17w per port when you manually set one of the ubnt's POE eth port to "24v Passive" is unfortunate. I'll prob look at getting one of those new mt CRS switches in 6 to 12months.

FYI, my CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ shows
~17.6w used when IDLE with the CPU set to the lowest, 400mhz.
~24w used when IDEL with the CPU set to its stock 1200mhz
(both figures above were tested when using just 1x of the 2x AC Power inputs).

I ofcourse had no issue powering my CCR via a mt GIG poe injector + a 24v wall plug. (also, the poe-IN to 1x AC PSU - INSTANT FAIL-OVER works perfectly, as expected. Removing either source of power, the CCR stays on with no interruption!)

Also a note, when powering CCR via POE IN the only data you will be able to see is the POE In Voltage (via sys-> health), no power current data w poeIN, like you get to see when its running on the AC PSUs . Also The int->eth->poe tab does not exist , even when powering ccr via poe. (just a FYI).

Im pretty happy so far with this CCR! I needed to upgrade as i have 20/200m and a 35/1000m internet uplinks now (waiting on a 3rd 1g/1g fiber line in the next 6 to 12 months), and my prior rb3011 couldn't do much when trying to mangle / use both up-links at my home/office network.