Community discussions

xcesmess
just joined
Topic Author

RB2011UiAS exhibiting strange behavior

Tue May 08, 2018 6:47 am

So I picked up a second-hand RB2011UiAS-RM that was supposedly working when it was pulled. I was able to get the unit working again after performing a NetInstall upgrade from 6.27 to 6.42.1 so that was good. However, I've noticed a couple of strange things about it...

- Port 2 doesn't seem to work, like, at all. No link, nothing.
- Port 9 is always lit up in some kind of designated internal bridge. If I remove it from the default bridge, the activity stops but the port is still lit up.
- Port 10 is dimly lit all the time... but does seem to function when something is plugged into it.

I do not have the original supply so it is running with a 12V 1A supply on it. Is this enough for these RM units? I didn't find much as to what kind of supply they need. Are these signs of a faulty RB2011 or are there some quirks about this unit that i haven't figured out? My last RB was a RB750G and I don't recall having this many problems just getting a basic setup going. :(

Thanks!

krisjans
just joined

Re: RB2011UiAS exhibiting strange behavior

Tue May 08, 2018 10:51 am

Did you wiped any old configuration (unchecked "Keep old configuration" checkbox in netinstall program) ?

xcesmess
just joined
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2018 11:50 am

Did you wiped any old configuration (unchecked "Keep old configuration" checkbox in netinstall program) ?

Yes... the configuration was wiped twice. The first time I used Netinstall/ Webfig to wipe and set it up. I then used Winbox to wipe and setup with a default config.

I also tested a separate 12v 1.5a power supply after posting to see if maybe it wasn’t PS and nothing changed.

yhfung
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue May 08, 2018 1:24 pm

How about the routerboard? Have you updated it?

YH

xcesmess
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 12:44 am

How about the routerboard? Have you updated it?

YH
What do you mean? The MikroTik software? If that’s what you mean I’m running 6.42.1 stable. Is there something else on these guys to update?

Janevski

Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 am

Check the power supply, check the board electrolytic capacitors.
It is also possible that the board had been hit with an electrical surge via the ethernet ports and some components are burned - for example via the dead port, or something...

xcesmess
just joined
Topic Author

Wed May 09, 2018 2:45 am

Check the power supply, check the board electrolytic capacitors.
It is also possible that the board had been hit with an electrical surge via the ethernet ports and some components are burned - for example via the dead port, or something...
So I think you partially nailed it. I believe ether2 died due to someone possibly plugging in a PoE injector accidentally into port 2, killing it on the switch. As for the strange issues with ether9 and ether10, I opened up the case and it appears that some water damage happened at some point. Several test points are showing some corrosion and there are quite a bit of white deposits on the bottom. I'm not seeing anything related to capacitor leakage on the top section. I'm going to pursue a refund with the seller on eBay and source a different router from a reputable seller instead. For now the old pfsense box will have to continue ticking another day....

Thanks for the help! Good first impression from the forum :)