Community discussions

MikroTik App

wpeople
Topic Author

Woobm with Linux

Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 pm

Hello,

i tought, the stick is working like RB411 with the SSH to Serial option (plus the WEB interface) - so i planned to use it with Linux machine.
The machine recognise the stick az ttyUSB0 so i tried getty, and after nothing happened, i tried minicom to check whats going on.

Web console does not worked, telnet neither.

So i think, woobm waits for Mikrotik's serial prompting on serial (USB) line and only thinks, its connected, if proper prompt received.
Is this true?

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Woobm with Linux

Fri May 18, 2018 10:55 pm

woobm is basically a prolific PL2303 usb to TTL serial adaptor glued to an ESP8266 + some local flash.
as far as i know, ssh is not supported at all - which is kind of disappointing.
let me check it what does it do when i plug it into an usb charger :-)

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 pm

So i think, woobm waits for Mikrotik's serial prompting on serial (USB) line and only thinks, its connected, if proper prompt received.
Is this true?
well, no. i just plugged it into my MBA, started screen with 115200 baud rate on the newly discovered USB tty, and was able to connect via TCP/23 and to the webpage as well. safari does not like the "web terminal" very much, but the communication works: whatever i put into the terminal is displayed on the web page and vice versa. so whatever keeps you to get a login prompt on woobm, it is not because the stick is blocking anything.

vadimbn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Woobm with Linux  [SOLVED]

Sat May 19, 2018 8:31 pm

For example on Ubuntu 14.04:
Device /dev/ttyUSB0 should be exist after plug in Woobm-USB into USB-port:
ls /dev/ttyU*
/dev/ttyUSB0
Now we can create the configuration file for initialize a console on the device /etc/init/ttyUSB0.conf:
touch /etc/init/ttyUSB0.conf
This file should contain this code:
# ttyUSB0 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on ttyS0 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[12345]
stop on runlevel [!12345]

respawn
exec /sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyUSB0 linux
Now You can start console on device /dev/ttyUSB0 just using the command
sudo start ttyUSB0

Result:
Screenshot-2018-5-19 MikroTik Woobm - MikroTik Local Terminal.png
I tried to use different terminals: vt100, vt102, linux, xterm. In the telnet session with xterm, even mc (midnight commander) will work. In the WEB-interface, any attempts to run mc will end with error "Disconnected (code 1006). Please try again".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wpeople
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 pm

Guys, thanks for your answers.

I know, ssh is not supported - but telnet does, i dont really mind it on a local mgmt network.
I will double check what i've missed. vadimbn thanks so much for the well detail description.

Since the PCs nowdays missing the serial connector (and not every machine has OOBM) this device would be really nice solutions if you misconfigure the network/firewall :-)