Community discussions

MikroTik App

martinl88
just joined
Topic Author

wAP ac not discoverable over ethernet

Thu May 24, 2018 1:20 pm

I have couple of wAP ac devices that for some odd reason doesn't come up in the Winbox discovery. Connecting via MAC address fails too. Connecting over IP is OK. If I'm connected to Wifi, then everything works as expected (discovery + connecting over MAC and IP).

Is this expected behavior?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: wAP ac not discoverable over ethernet

Thu May 24, 2018 1:22 pm

Check if the interfaces are in the interface list, that you have allowed discovery on.
/ip neighbor discovery-settings> print 
/interface list member> print

ivicask

Thu May 24, 2018 1:53 pm

I have couple of wAP ac devices that for some odd reason doesn't come up in the Winbox discovery. Connecting via MAC address fails too. Connecting over IP is OK. If I'm connected to Wifi, then everything works as expected (discovery + connecting over MAC and IP).

Coz for some reason Mikrotik programs them out of box so that LAN is like WAN port and blocks all incoming connections. Enter the router settings via WIFI and remove LAN input rule that blocks access, or do reset without keeping default configuration to remove this settings.

martinl88
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2018 3:42 pm

Check if the interfaces are in the interface list, that you have allowed discovery on.
And 12 points goes to normis!
Discovery was allowed only on the LAN and ether1 was part of WAN. After allowing discovery on all interfaces, everything started working as expected. Thank you very much.

@ivicask, removing firewall rules restored the ability to access via IP. Before that, only way to configure was over WiFi.
I think the reason for those FW rules being there is to prevent a situation where someone (unknowingly) connects wAP's ethernet straight to WAN.

Btw, is it something that has been changed in recent ROS versions? A while back I was installing some cAP's (the original ones) and I remember clearly that I was able to configure them over the cable in their default config. Or is the cAP's def. config different from wAP's?
Last edited by martinl88 on Thu May 24, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu May 24, 2018 3:47 pm

cAP default configuration is different. wAP is considered home AP board where ether1 is supposedly WAN port.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Thu May 24, 2018 11:35 pm

yes, and it is documented here:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:D ... igurations