Community discussions

MikroTik App

cwooster
just joined
Topic Author

HAP AC no longer creates lte1 interface

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:49 am

My HAP AC was loaded with 6.42.4 and was working with the Verizon Novatel 7730L. I can see the device is listed via the USB resources command, but it does not show up as an interface anymore. I upgraded the firmware to the latest version (6.42.5 as well as the 6.43RC versions), but still does not work. Is there a way to create it manually? I am not sure if it is the HAP AC or Verizon side. A firmware upgrade did occur on the jetpack but haven't checked the lte device in a while as I have been using another WAN link for the past couple of weeks.

/system resource usb print
# DEVICE VENDOR NAME SPEED
0 1-0 Linux 3.3.5 ehci_hcd RB400 EHCI 480
1 1-1 Novatel Wireless MiFi 7730L 480

###Update. I was able to downgrade the HAP AC down to 6.42.3 and still does not work. I am able to tether the 7730L via USB to my Mac and it connects fine and gives me an IP address.

It appears that the HAP AC is no longer compatible with the latest Verizon Novatel MiFi (Firmware version - 3A (L2.74.4 M9x40RNY-3.21.7 1 [2018-05-07 01:02:48])) or the HAP AC possibly could be bad? Maybe the USB port is not operating as it should?

dwkennedy
just joined

Re: HAP AC no longer creates lte1 interface

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:13 pm

I have the same problem, which still exists with the 7730L firmware 3.5 and the latest RouterOS.

Here is a workaround- if you have a 7730L with the 2A firmware, plug it into the Mikrotik device. It will be recognized as a lte interface. Then, unplug that device and connect the 3A/3.5 firmware 7730L. It will work, you can reboot or unplug/plug the Mi-Fi, but you will have to do the workaround again if you have to reboot the router.

Not really great for accessing remote sites. I guess I need to open a case and see if MikroTik would be willing to tweak their firmware. The fact the this workaround works suggests that it can be fixed on the MikroTik end... pretty sure it's not a supported configuration for Verizon.

dwkennedy
just joined

Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:21 pm

Let me add that if you have a 7730L device with 2A firmware, be careful installing a SIM card. One it's on the network you will quickly be presented with a prompt to upgrade. If you refuse the prompt, then you will be automatically upgraded next time you reboot the 7730L.

I get the 7730L equipment for "free" with my account. However, after this latest problem, coupled with the issue of the 7730L very occasionally powering off or locking up, I am thinking about moving to a Pepwave device. It's kind of sad, because I have remote sites that have stayed up for years with the old firmware.

kschmidt2009
just joined

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Did this issue ever get resolved in the Router OS?

jrcorray
just joined

Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:18 am

It's September of 2021 but I was going to update what I did in case anyone else comes across this post like I did looking for help. I have an HAP AC Lite that had the most current firmware 6.x installed and updated today. I was unable to load the LTE1 for my Novatel 8800 Verizon MiFi. It would appear in system/usb but would not create the LTE interface. Updating the RouterOS to RouterOS v7.1rc2 from the development Channel fixed this problem for me. The 8800 is now detected and working to bridge from wireless to Cell through the HAP AC lite. This HAP AC Lite is about 5 years old at this point, but still going strong. (after this update)