Community discussions

MikroTik App

crlogic
just joined
Topic Author

Recommend a RouterBoard

Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Hi - just discovered you guys while investigating possible router placements and have seen MikroTik mentioned on Ubnt forums. I am looking to replace a Cisco ASA 5505 being used as a router/FW at home. It has been running reliably for the past 7 years and I hope to get the same out of my next purchase.

Use-case:
- 10 VLANS for WAN, LAN, WIFI, "management interfaces" and 5 or so lab VLAN's
- ACL's on all VLAN's
- QOS for bufferbloat & to limit guest wifi
- R/STP for L3 switch (Cisco SG300-10 used for lab)
- VPN for remote access
- POE (UAP‑AC‑LITE)
- SNMP, SSH, syslog etc.
- 5+ ports since I use 7 of the Cisco ASA ports currently

Wish-list
- Looking for a device that will receive updates for the next 5-7 years
- Supports 1G internet using features above (hw-accel seems to be big discussion point) [current internet is <100Mbit but that will change in time]

I have been eyeing the RB3011UiAS-RM but have a few concerns;
- It has been out a few years now and wonder if it will be replaced anytime soon.
- The RM3011 has a problem connecting 100Mbit devices which is what my DOCSIS modem connects at (found a flapping thread that does not seem to be resolved).
- I am new to MikroTik and do not know how long products are supported
- There may be other options I do not know about

Can you help fill in the blanks?

Andy

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Recommend a RouterBoard

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:19 am

The RB3011 seemed to be dead in the water from its launch with the “eggs” being thrown into the RB1100AHx4 basket shortly after its release.

As an RB3011 user, I wouldn’t have said I was content, it certainly won’t route Gb once you load firewall rules and if you start mangling packets for queue trees.

I’d probably recocommend a CCR1009 and a switch to achieve what you want. Maybe a UniFi 8 port if you want ports and PoE plus it will give you another green bubble in you controller (lol).

With regards to the ports flapping, it is massively annoying, my standard lone VDSL modem has a 100Mb port so I ended up running the entire of switch bank 2 solely for my WAN1 connection and whilst MT have acknowledged the issue and replicated it on a bench are yet to resolve it, I was an early adopter of the 3011 and looking back, it was a bad purchase.

I’ve just migrated from the RB3011 to a CHR as I want to play with some heavy packet marking and I’ve thrown in a CRS112 underneath the ESXi box so I have copper and SFP ports. One of those SFP ports uplinks to a UniFi PoE switch (Cisco multimode sfps) as well so I can vouch for a setup that works.

It’s a shame as the RB3011 for me was a Draytek killer! The focus just seemed to never be on it.

crlogic
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Recommend a RouterBoard

Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:33 pm

Thanks Steveocee, this was the feedback I was looking for.

Cheers