Community discussions

stratosx
just joined
Topic Author

Guidance to choose mikrotik device

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:28 pm

Hello.

I have to setup a small home network project and I need your help in order to choose the correct mikrotik hardware product (ethernet router or switch), for my needs. Actually I'm looking for a suggestion like (i.e.) "The minimum you need is hex lite, but same can be done with switch CRS106-1C-5S".

Please check first the attached image with a draft pricture of my project and then read my notes below, with explanation and requests.

1. My ISP provides me internet through an adsl modem/router (POINT A) that has multiple ethernet ports (4) and wifi features. On this router are connected a PC, a network printer and multiple wifi devices (let's assume DEV K and DEV L (through SSID A)
  2. From exit LAN3 (lan number is not important) I want to provide interner to an access point (POINT C) where various devices will be connected through ethernet and wifi (lets assume DEV X and DEV Y - different SSID compared to POINT A). Those devices on POINT C will change occasionally in terms of number and connection type (lan or wifi)
  3. Between Points A and C I want to position a network device (POINT B) that does act as a bandwidth limiter and firewall as well (check more notes below). I assume that a mikrotik device will cover my needs and HERE I need your help about the required device.
  4. Connection distance from points B and C (mikrotik -> access point) is about 30metes through good quality cat 6 cable.
  5. (Crucial) : Exit LAN2 from point B mickotik device MUST HAVE bandwidth limits, i.e. 10mbps down and 1 mbps up. To be more clear I want the maximum bandwith that access POINT C can get in total is 10/1 (down/up - numbers are indicative). Here I need the mikrotik device to work as router
  6. (Crucial) : Any devices connected to access POINT C, MUST NOT be able to find/explorer/access any devices connected to POINT A. Actually I want to protect any possible file shared folders or ransomware attacks. Here I need mikrotik device to act as firewall.
  7. All devices on access POINT C should get dynamic internal IP addresses (no static IPs setup).
  8. Clients connected to access point C, should NOT be able to enter mikrotik device control panel (POINT B) and change settings. I assume a login/password feature, within POINT B is enough, but should be noted.

So this, is my project and need your guidance which is the minimum mikrotik device that can fullfill my needs. I am open to suggestions for something better (i.e. you need at least switch X but better get hex Y as has that extra feature).

If I have to purchase and extra software licenses, please let me know in advance.

I have knowledge of networking, so will manage to setup settings.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your help
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

raystream

Re: Guidance to choose mikrotik device

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:29 pm

to make a suggestion there is more information needed:
- what bandwidth is your ISP providing?
- what bandwidth would you like to get on the site C
- any firewall filters

first i think you do not need 2 mikrotik devices just get an hap ac2 but we need to know the answers to the questions above to give a good answer.

one thing i can say is that you dont need any other licences than that are already installed on the device.

stratosx
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Thanks for answering.

Let me be clear, actually I'm looking for be suitable mikrotik ONLY for point B. For other points I'm covered.

According bandwidth : On point A I get 30/2 (down/up) but this can change any time (getting a better contract). Internet connection is not important for my general question. Definetely will not go above 50-60 for next 3-4 years.

According limitation : Again numbers are indicative. My request is for a constant fraction of my whole internet speed. Let's assume for now, that mikrotik should cap speed to 10/1, so max bandwidth point C might get will be 10/1 in total. Addition : I dont care if devices connected to point A, will "drain" whole internet bandwidth, I do care all devices on access point C NOT to get more than 10/1 (down/up)

According firewall : Actually I don't want limitations regarding ports, services, etc. My only request is that any device connected to access POINT C (wifi or ethernet), will not be able to identify or explore any of devices connected to point A (asdl router)

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:21 pm

The minimum would be really any MikroTik device - for such basic functionalities. That would be hEX lite for 40 USD:
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750r2
To be sure you can do plenty more - you can go with hEX (60 USD and much more power):
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750Gr3

stratosx
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks a lot