REQUEST : New Switch for SOHO, upgrade to 10GB over copper

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:51 pm

Please Mikrotik,
provide an new Switch with

8 port Gigabit Ethernet
2 port SFP+
Indoor Case

Naming : CSS310-8G-2S+IN

This would be a beautiful, affordable device to upgrade existing SOHO infrastructure to 10 Gbps speeds over regular familiar twisted-pair via S+RJ10.

Please :-)

Best Regards
Marcus

grusu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: REQUEST : New Switch for SOHO, upgrade to 10GB over copper

Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:12 pm

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:48 am

I'd rather have something like CRS(CSS)314-12P-2S+RM: half the ports of CRS328-24P-4S+RM, half the POE budget, half the size... and half the price! :lol:

UMarcus
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Oh completely overlook, thanks for the hint.

Anyhow why is this device ~ double price than the CSS326-24G-2S+RM :o

I hope Mikrotik update the CSS3xx Series with such an device in price region smaller $100.

Regards

dasiu
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:12 am

Oh completely overlook, thanks for the hint.
No, you didn't :). That CRS210 is discontinued, don't look at it :). As you mentioned you can get CSS 326 for half the price :).
Also - you can get CRS326 for a bit less, having - besides the great switch and easy (bridge filter) VLAN configuration - te ARM CPU that can deal with hundreds of Mbps routed (in addition to the wire-speed switching), much better compared to that CRS210 that would get killed by few Mbps in routing :).

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:01 am

@umarcus: Not very likely. If it was here once and it was discontinued, I guess chances for reviving such product are almost zero.
Recently, there have been some devices unveiled: https://download2.mikrotik.com/news/news_82.pdf (most of them are still not on market)
Closest to your request is either CRS309-1G-8S+PC or CRS312-4C+8XG but due to enormous amount of 10G port, I can imagine the price to be pretty high.

Your request is certainly interesting but I am afraid, market for such device is too small. Price expectation (10G under $100) is then pure fantasy.

I agree with previous answer that most suitable solution for now is CRS326.

UMarcus
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:11 pm

Thank you all for the useful answers.

So I need to go with CRS326 and not waiting for an smaller CRS3xx with SFP+ :(

Regards

paulct

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 am

agregorian
just joined

Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Ok so I’ve been using Mikrotik since the beginning and it has been a good ride…But! It seems they have lost sight and direction with their routers and switch products, lots of crazy configurations and impractical models. Mikrotik here is my wish list for baseline product range that will suit WISP’s and enterprise customers. Some of my suggestions may already be in production.

As you know lots of professionals use Mikrotik with high speed radios that are 5Gbps + and hafe SFP+ ports.
Just make all Ethernet ports POE and 10G
Just make all SFP ports SFP+ with QSFP uplinks if needed.
Make specific routers and switches for WISP with small form factor to install in outdoor boxes or in small locations.

Copy the UBNT product EdgePoint and improve on it!

Switches
1 4 port 10G SFP+, 1 x 40G QSFP Dual Power Supply , CPU to support full speed performance. Small form factor. 4 x power connectors to power radios with SFP+ and power connector.
2 8 port 10G SFP+, 2 x 40G QSFP with 4 ports on top of each other to enable mounting outside in box, Indoor Case, Dual Power Supply , CPU to support full speed performance. Small form factor. 8 x power connectors to power radios with SFP+ and power connector.

3 8 port 10G Ethernet POE, 2 x 40G QSFP with 4 ports on top of each other to enable mounting outside in box, Indoor Case, Dual Power Supply , CPU to support full speed performance. Small form factor.

Routers with above configurations.

Also please please please don't announce products unless their ready to ship the following month!!! This practice of yours is completely damaging your product delivery integrity!!! We don't want to know about a product if its not going to ship for 3 years! besides, the fact that products you announce thats going to ship in 1 to 3 years time is already outdated, because the product features are badly thought out !!!

You need an design team that includes real members that operate real WISP business going back to when you started!

Ok i feel better now :)

Having said that i'm available for consulting on product design.