Community discussions

MikroTik App

gvelkov
just joined
Topic Author

Bricked RB750

Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Hello,
After trying to upgrade a RB750 from firmware 4.11 to 6.42.6, it has started to bootloop indefinetely.
The computer says "Identifying", but shortly after that all the LEDs on the device flash for a brief second, the computer shows that there isn't anything attached and the process starts all over again.
We tried factory resetting, Netinstall, both the reset button AND jumper pad on the board, but with no success.
We tried versions 4.11, 5.26 and 6.42.6 of Netinstall, but none of them seem to make a difference.
Here are the IPs used:

RB750 - 192.168.88.1 (hopefully, it was in network 192.168.89.xx before the reset)
PC - 192.168.88.2
Netboot - 192.168.88.3

We're stumped by this, does anyone know a solution?

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Bricked RB750

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:00 am

I tried updating a 750 from 4.x and got as far as something like 5.08
Attempts to upgrade further to 6.3x just gave me a boot loop.
Netinstall worked for me and the thing is now happily on 6.42.x

Pigsfoot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:15 pm

you could try using winbox and enter the mac address manually rather than using the "neighbor" feature. I have done that in the past and it worked for me. You may need to connect the RB direct to the computer running WinBox via Ethernet though.

Failing that, check to see if you get a default DHCP address and if so download "putty" and SSH into it.

gvelkov
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:43 pm

you could try using winbox and enter the mac address manually rather than using the "neighbor" feature. I have done that in the past and it worked for me. You may need to connect the RB direct to the computer running WinBox via Ethernet though.

Failing that, check to see if you get a default DHCP address and if so download "putty" and SSH into it.
The problem is that it doesn't even get to that point - it just restarts itself roughly every 10 seconds. Netinstall doesn't work either for some reason

myky86
just joined

Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Same problem here. Attempted to upgrade my RB750 from 2.4 (l think) to 6.x release, and the router died. The same symptoms - boot loop, Netinstall doesn't detect the router.
This is my first touch/interaction with MikroTik and unfortunately, it is unsuccessful. Hopefully, someone has an idea on how to fix a bricked device

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:39 pm

Fairly sure that all of the following information is present in available official documentation. However, for the sake of those here having trouble, I'll try to summarize:
  1. On the computer you are going to use for Netinstall, disable ALL network interfaces (including Wi-Fi) EXCEPT for the ethernet port that you plan to use
  2. On the remaining interface/port, disable DHCP client and manually set IP address to whatever (pick something, anything; it really doesn't matter)
  3. Start Netinstall.exe as Administrator (right-click > "Run As Administrator...")
  4. Click "Net booting" button, make sure "Boot Server enabled" is checked, type in a "Client IP address" that is within the same subnet as what you set the computer'e ethernet interface to, and click OK
  5. Without applying power to the RB first, connect RB750 ethernet port 1 to computer's ethernet port with any ethernet cable (RB750 and/or most modern computer ethernet interfaces should auto-MDIX even if you aren't using a cross-over patch cable...but if you want some additional "insurance", you could put a dumb switch in between)
  6. Using a pen/unwound paperclip/nail/tack/other thin object, press and hold the "RESET" button on the back of the RB, and while continuing to hold the button down, apply power to the RB
  7. Continue to hold the "RESET" button while observing the ACT or USR LED; upon powerup, it will begin with solid illumination, and then as you hold the button, it will start to blink...keep holding the "RESET" button until the blinking STOPS (could take 20-30 seconds!!!) and the LED goes dark for a few seconds, then release the "RESET" button
  8. After several seconds, you should see the RB's MAC address show up in the Netinstall window's "Routers/Drives" list: click on it to highlight it
  9. Under "Packages", "Browse" to the location of your "routeros-mipsbe-6.xx.npk" file, select it in the list below that, and click the "Install" button
  10. Once it is finished, "Install" button will change to "Reboot"...click that, or simply powercycle the 750, and close the Netinstall application
If that doesn't work, then try all of the steps again, but uncheck the "Keep old configuration" checkbox...this will not only format and reinstall RouterOS, but will throw out the old config and reset the router to factory defaults. You will have to reconfigure from scratch, but at least the router will be back from the dead! And if you never see the router show up in step 8, then try Netinstall from a completely different computer.

In the end, it really isn't that hard...and it turns out that it is extremely difficult to permanently brick a RouterBOARD, so kudos to MikroTik for that!

-- Nathan

EDIT: Oh, also: make sure you aren't running Windows Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) at all on the machine you are running Netinstall from, and if you are, turn it the @%@#$ off. Netinstall needs to run a BOOTP server to properly chain the install application to the RouterBOARD. ICS runs a separate DHCP server, which could conflict.

jagnetadmin
just joined

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Currently, have a hex-s that has become bricked. Not sure what happened there but, can't access it with a browser or winbox.

Default ip is 192.168.88.1 from factory. The only way I could get the netinstall to work was with a laptop that had win.7 and a straight through cable (yellow one).

Everything went through with Nathan's instructions but, cannot log into it at all. default IP is not accessible. Should the default IP address still be 192.168.88.1?

John

jagnetadmin
just joined

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:30 pm

I got a brick now too but it is a Hex-s.

myky86
just joined

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 pm

Thanks Nathan, the router is back online on the latest 6.x release. Thanks again!

Vytas
just joined

Thu May 07, 2020 10:01 am

Hi all,
I went trough all posts, wiki, No luck so far.

RouterBoard 750,
tried to ugrade from v.5.36 using “packages”. It downloaded packages and started update/reboot, After reboot didn’t start, was waiting half an hour.
Reset didn’t work, tried https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall . Netinstall doesn't see RB connected directly or via switch. Windows have active one ethernet inteface and Netinstall is allowed to access public networks, firewall off, no sharing protocols, admin account.
Static IP set according instruction. When powered on with reset pressed after ACT blinking stops I see some activity on port1 (led blinks).

Any more sugestions how to reinstall RB ?

thanks a lot

AlekA
just joined

Sat May 23, 2020 11:22 am

I went trough all posts, wiki, No luck so far.

RouterBoard 750,
tried to ugrade from v.5.36 using “packages”. It downloaded packages and started update/reboot, After reboot didn’t start, was waiting half an hour.
Reset didn’t work, tried https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall . Netinstall doesn't see RB connected directly or via switch. Windows have active one ethernet inteface and Netinstall is allowed to access public networks, firewall off, no sharing protocols, admin account.
Static IP set according instruction. When powered on with reset pressed after ACT blinking stops I see some activity on port1 (led blinks).
I have the same issue but with the new "Mikrotik wAP ac LTE6 kit". Although I can access it via Netinstall. But after some changes in config (no matter what changes) and rebooting it just won't boot. If there are really few changes, It might boot and even preserve the changes. But any subsequent changes brick it.

I assume that the board is defective. There might be some issues with the flash memory. I see no other way but to return it.

Emerie
just joined

Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:00 am

I was able to revive my RB750 using Netinstall.

I changed my Ethernet settings to static IP address and tried installing the OS on my Routerboard but it did not work.

Then I changed my Ethernet settings to dynamic IP address. Tried it again and it worked.

My RB750 works fine now.