Community discussions

MikroTik App

opuki
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik CRS 317-1G-16S+ works fine, however reports FAULT (red LED)

Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi there,

I'm very new to MikroTik hardware. I just received my MikroTik CRS 317-1G-16S+ a few hours ago and have set it up in my network rack.

First of all: unlike I thought first, the switch is working fine. I am able to connect most of my servers using Cisco 3m DAC cables. I just stumbled upon a Finisar transceiver to connect two of my other switched via glass, looks like I should get MikroTik transceivers for this purpose.

However, one thing alerts me: the red FAULT led is flashing from time to time, but not all the time. As a newbie when it comes to Winbox, I'm unable to find the information on why this happens in the log as it does not show any failure/error/fault.

I'm already updated to the latest firmware/software 6.42.6 after updating to 6.40.8 first.

Any ideas are more than welcome!

Thanks a lot!

Ciao
Opuki

farseeker
just joined

Re: MikroTik CRS 317-1G-16S+ works fine, however reports FAULT (red LED)

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:03 am

This is happening to me too. I'm running SwOS on my CRS317-1G-16S+ and my "fault" light just comes on for no apparent reason (and the fans kick in every time the fault light comes on).

Nothing in the UI seems to indicate anything, and I can't find anywhere in the terminal to look. Everything is operating just fine - no issues operationally (except the noise from the fans being on). The entirety of the documentation for SwOS seems to be a single wiki page (https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/CRS317).

If anyone can tell me where to go to debug this (or if the OP ever had any success diagnosing) I'd love to hear it.

EdPa
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:27 am

SwOS v2.9 has few changes which require updated fan controller firmware that comes only within RouterOS. You should boot your CRS317-1G-16S+ in RouterOS and upgrade to the latest testing version (currently it is 6.44rc1, should be included in next stable version as well). After that, you can simply boot back to SwOS.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:53 pm

SwOS v2.9 has few changes which require updated fan controller firmware that comes only within RouterOS. You should boot your CRS317-1G-16S+ in RouterOS and upgrade to the latest testing version (currently it is 6.44rc1, should be included in next stable version as well). After that, you can simply boot back to SwOS.

Don't forget to upgrade routerboot (/system routerboard upgrade) before booting back to SwOS ... which is the whole point of the exercise.

farseeker
just joined

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:18 pm

Apologies for the delay in updating, I must have email notifications turned off for the forum so I didn't come back and check.

Can confirm that doing a RouterOS upgrade and then a RouterBoard upgrade has fixed the issue with the fault light. I realise SwOS doesn't really get a huge amount of love on the documentation side, but this feels like something that should be either documented, or have RouterBoard updates included in SwOS so that we don't have to make upgrades a multi-step 10-minute process.

ploquets
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:08 pm

Hello!
If I do that, would the SwOS come back with the configuration that was working before change the OS ?

EdPa
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:25 am

Yes, the SwOS configuration will be untouched.
Anyways, it is recommended to keep a configuration backup if something does go wrong.