Community discussions

MikroTik App

myansweris42
just joined
Topic Author

rb750gr3 needs rebooting ever few days to restore throughput

Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:31 pm

I will admit from the start that I am a newb to Mikrotik. Sorry.

While my HEX and Unifi UAP-AC-Lite combo is head and above the 6 year old DLink N-300 Cloud router they replaced, I have noticed a symptom I had hoped using a Mikrotik router would have hopefully cured. I am having to reboot the HEX several times per week to keep the throughput up, or it drops to no higher than 20 Mbps regardless of time of day or current household utilization.

With a total of 12 wireless connections (3 cell phones, 2 tablets, 2 laptops, 4 Wi-fi TVs, Xbox One S, PS3), the D-LINK WOULD NEED REBOOTED SEVERAL TIMES PER WEEK in order for some devices to reconnect (One S, PS3, laptop) while other's (wi-fi TVs) would still be connected and functioning -- not even mentioning that when everything was working, lag was a semi-routine occurrence.That was back when I only had 25 Mbps internet, so the old D-Link as well as my connection speed could be scapegoated.

I upgraded to 40 Mbps connection because I wanted to drop my overpriced digital cable (no HD) for the cheaper but still higher quality of PSVue.

I did say that my internet connection is only 40 Mbps, but through multiple tests on the One S (wireless), Cell phone (wi-fi) using Speedtest, computer (1 Gb wired connection directly to HEX) using Speedtest, all regularly register between 100 to 170 Mbps.

What is odd, is that after about 3 or 4 days, the connection starts capping out at 20 Mbps (regardless of reboots to the cable modem and UAP). As soon as I reboot the HEX, and check Speedtest again, the speed is right back up to between 100 to 200 Mbps. Why is this???

I get that internet connections routinely cap-out below the advertised speed. I am not trying to be ungrateful, I just want to know WHY THE HEX SEEMS TO BE SLOWING THINGS DOWN?

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: rb750gr3 needs rebooting ever few days to restore throughput

Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:56 pm

Do you ever check to see if the hEX is moving any traffic to the internet before you reboot it? Maybe it isn't the hEX's fault, but something on your network is consuming a ton of internet bandwidth, and rebooting the hEX terminates those connections temporarily, which is why you see the speed boost after the reboot: you interrupted whatever transfer was occurring by rebooting your main router.

You said you had to do the same thing with your previous router, too. This makes me think that the problem was never your router, but something else on the network that has remained consistent between router changes.

-- Nathan

myansweris42
just joined
Topic Author

Re: rb750gr3 needs rebooting ever few days to restore throughput

Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Nathan,
Thanks for you reply.

I hadn't posted back sooner because I was trying to take the last several of early mornings and late nights to login to the Hex and watch the Interfaces and intermittently Speedtest to see when the tested throughput dropped, so I could again look more closely at the Tx and Rx figures. The hex is moving traffic. When no one is actively using any devices on the network, the Interface will occassionally show about 20 to 25Mbps of traffic total. After 3 days, the Speedtest finally showed a consistent 80Mbps (so not as low as the 20 to 30Mbps I had seen routinely, but enough low than the 140Mbps+ it routinely tests at after reboot) like it was being capped. I rebooted the Hex and it went back to between 120Mbps and 140Mbps.

How well do Tiks handle recovering from power fluctuation? I ask this because I live in a rural area that does have short brownouts that happen once every week or two, and I am thinking a UPS thrown into the system might be worth a check?