Community discussions

MikroTik App

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Please give a remote hard reset option!!!

Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:47 pm

hi,

i would request Mikrotik team to work on something where we can get a remote reset option. something which will work just like the "Reset" button on Routerboard but without getting near the device.

the need for this arises when we are having hardware on towers where the height is anywhere from 30 meters to 80 meters.

in case the outside weather and conditions are not favorable it becomes difficult to retrieve the device just for a reset and then mount it again on the tower so all that time can be saved with a remote "reset" option.

i am currently facing a situation where the device needs to be reset but the rains and winds are too strong to climb the tower and the client has his entire production machines cutoff from the server as the PTP link is down.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Please give a remote hard reset option!!!

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:06 pm

Do you mean kind of like the reset button you get on UBNT PoE?
That would be a pretty amazing idea.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Also dangerous in a lot of situations.

ErfanDL

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:35 pm

hi,

i would request Mikrotik team to work on something where we can get a remote reset option. something which will work just like the "Reset" button on Routerboard but without getting near the device.

the need for this arises when we are having hardware on towers where the height is anywhere from 30 meters to 80 meters.

in case the outside weather and conditions are not favorable it becomes difficult to retrieve the device just for a reset and then mount it again on the tower so all that time can be saved with a remote "reset" option.

i am currently facing a situation where the device needs to be reset but the rains and winds are too strong to climb the tower and the client has his entire production machines cutoff from the server as the PTP link is down.
using a servo motor with an IoT application for pushing the reset button remotely. I do it for the solution.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

nickshore
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:03 pm

And you can't just mac-telnet in ?

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Also dangerous in a lot of situations.
That's why there is also a software option to turn it off.

ingdaka
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Hard Reset mean that you need to get in touch with device!

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:02 pm

How about just connecting your router to a relay. Press a button while at ground level and power it's cut off. Hard reset! :)

Sent from Tapatalk

AlainCasault
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Extra: as long as you only meant hard reboot and not factory reset. ;)

Sent from Tapatalk

Edit:
2 relays. With proper cabling / soldering (one for power, one for reset button leads), one could launch a Netinstall from ground level.
Hey, I never said it would be practical ;)

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:31 pm

We have more then 80 PTP links with MT I never need the Hard reset,
And we use MT for 8 years now

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:52 am

And you can't just mac-telnet in ?
No.. it does get disconnected....

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:20 pm

For such places it's useful to add ESP01 with esp-link firmware on UART/serial port. That way you can access the bootloader remotely over wifi. It's same as WOOBM, but allows you to access bootloader menu. Similar would be adding one of these cheap HC-05 bluetooth modules, but they are less secure - I prefer long WPA2 password over number-only BT password.

Main problem is that new mikrotik hardware that doesn't have RS232 ports and even worse, doesn't even have any bootloader menu in a first place!
There are UART pins on the board you can connect to, but they are pretty much useless. No BIOS menu and ROS will not even start console on it by default (but you can enable it manually... but that's not going to help when ROS can't boot properly).

It's OK to be reluctant to add hardware remote reset, even though I haven't had any issues with Ubiquity POE reset being triggered accidentally.
But PLEASE at least provide simple UART menu on all models, where you can change boot source to BOOTP.
Yes, using internal UART will void your warranty, but when installed 40m high it's a small price to pay for remote recovery...