Community discussions

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RB4011

Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:01 am

And putting 4011 label on it doesn't make it any more x011 series than any other random 10 port router
`
Oh come now. You can't be serious. The 3011 and 4011 have more in common with each other than an IBM-era ThinkPad and a modern Lenovo-era ThinkPad...sheesh. :roll:

I think the most strange omission is the USB port. And I'll agree that the switch chip might be problematic as well, but let's be honest: none of the switch chips used in non-CRS RouterBoards have been particularly stellar...each one seems to fall short in one way or another.

The USR LED, LCD screen, and honestly even the speaker I couldn't care less about. Maybe a read-only LCD screen can be nice at times, but I never found the "touch input" aspect of it particularly useful (especially since it isn't capacitive!), and in previous models reports were that it seemed to cause weird CPU load issues so it was best turned off anyway.

Besides the fact that it is a >1GHz quad-core ARM, though, in the list of "added features" compared to 2011 you also left out the following:

Quad-core (like I said)
1GiB of RAM (same as 3011, 8x as much as 2011U, 16x as much as 2011L)
0.5GiB of NAND storage (4x as much as 2011 and 3011)

So compared to older models it has quite a bit more oomph when it comes to the actual internals. It is just a shame that there is either no SD card or USB like you said, and also that the switch chips might potentially be duds (though maybe MikroTik can manage to pull out a software miracle there, so I'll take a wait-and-see approach to that one).

-- Nathan

lapsio
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Besides the fact that it is a >1GHz quad-core ARM, though, in the list of "added features" compared to 2011 you also left out the following:

Quad-core (like I said)
1GiB of RAM (same as 3011, 8x as much as 2011U, 16x as much as 2011L)
0.5GiB of NAND storage (4x as much as 2011 and 3011)
I said that I omitted it purposely. Performance upgrade is not "feature". It's natural thing that you don't sell in MIPS 600 mhz in 2018 in device for 200$. Fact that new "ThinkPads" have better CPUs and more RAM is not "feature" it's just obvious that device 7 years newer will have better CPU, more ram and better storage, nobody even points that out. If it wouldn't be better then something would be terribly wrong.

One could argue that RB4011 is "segment" upgrade because it's no longer low-end device but I'd like to remind that in 2011 when RB2011 came out it also wasn't low end. Iirc it was before CCR era? So the only stronger device was RB1100? I may be wrong though because it was so many years ago I don't even remember. Basically it was quite decent for that time. And wifi variant was top end SOHO solution from mtk including all possible bells and whistles. Now taking into account hAP ac² performance and fact that it's just some mid range 5 port SOHO, RB4011 specs are not all that much surprising. I'd probably expect quad core 800 mhz and 512mb ram (though as you said 3011 has 1gb as well and it's old device now. It also has dual core 1.4ghz and again it's an old device so it's normal that 4011 has better specs than currently old device. It's not rocket science), but still.

Also internal storage is not blessing. In the age of RB2011 all better devices had 128 NAND and it was 7 years ago. It's just now that mikrotik decided to skimp on NAND and give us some hilarious 16mb. Especially without sd card, considering that now 8gb sd is smallest crap you can get in every supermarket for pennies (like 2$ or whatever).

So all in all - no, CPU, RAM and NAND are not really that much of an upgrade if you compare to RB2011 specs upscaled by 7 years. In 2011 32gb of RAM was buttload of memory. Now TR CPUs support up to 128gb. There's nothing surprising here. Do you remember 16TB SSDs in 2011? Me neither.

Basically 4011 should be better in absolutely every aspect than 3011 because it's "normal" and it kind of fails even at that.

I really hope it's equivalent of 2011L and there will be better variants which will actually bring back stuff that we had in higher 2011's

lapsio
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:46 pm

Also because some people may get impression that removed things are insignificant "details" and nobody uses them I'd like to note that it's not entirely true and those are not just useless gimmicks:
  • no USB - usage of 3G/LTE modems doesn't need any itroduction. Some people use 3G as backup WAN, sometimes it's even used as primary link. But also in case of devices without SD card slot it was an option to connect more durable storage to store logs for example.
  • no screen - yeah while it wasn't all that useful, interface statistics are nice-to-have. Especially on this price point.
  • no beeper - this one may come as one of the most underrated features if someone doesn't use scripts. For people using scripts, USR led and beeper are one of more common signalization methods to indicate what's going on. Whether you monitor machines connectivity on mikrotik using ping and play alert using beeper if something is wrong or use it for indication of any other anomaly - it's audible alert. Really hard to miss if something really bad is going on. Yeah you could use email, unless condition you want to indicate is problem with internet connectivity. Or you could send SMS with 3G dongle. Oh wait, you can't because there's no USB.
  • no USR led - can be used to indicate various device status info. For example to indicate radio interface status (whether it's running aka there's someone connected to it, or not). It may come as surprise but longer ethernet cables produce electromagnetic field that heavily interferes with radio signal (I mean normal radio. Like music and stuff) and distorts audio. Putting down gateway interface in AP significantly decreases this problem so it does make sense to put down uplink interface in APs if there's nobody connected to it (via script). At the same time it's "nice" to know whether uplink interface is down or not just by looking at device.
  • no meaningful switch chip - while one could argue that this device has enough performance to run VLANs in software - bridging in mikrotik is far from perfect and there are various anomalies with connection tracking that kick in when you use bridge just for "switching" ports or VLANs. For example NAT may not be performed correctly if the same traffic goes through router twice (to get filtered in-line by lets say some other security appliance for example)

I personally use literally all of those cases (except storage). And yeah sure - you can set up Nagios or other monitoring tool - but who's gonna monitor connectivity issues with Nagios server itself?

And if you're so fancy that you can afford two Nagios servers in HA connected to router using two completely separate paths, redundant non-3G dual WAN, rsyslog servers in HA and bunch of separate switches to perform in-line packet processing using them, then you probably can afford some fancy Cisco or something "better" than RB4011 because it's pennies comparing to cost of such setup... Functionality of router as "guard" of network has been decreased significantly. End of story. Now if anything fails it can't do much about it.

8cqv

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:17 pm

I’ll take the horsepower over the features though for my needs.

Can anyone from MikroTik confirm the antenna are removable on SMA or something?

My router lives in a rack so I need to use tails to take antenna outside if using a combined router, given spec of the WiFi model would go for that as long as I can move antenna outside the wall cab (WiFi in faraday cage never a big performer)

Looks like stock coming next month on a few stores.

lapsio
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:23 pm

Can anyone from MikroTik confirm the antenna are removable on SMA or something?
2.4 uses standard R11e card like this one: https://mikrotik.com/product/R11e-2HnD so it has the same connectors for antennas as R11e. 5ghz idk but I believe they'll be removable as well. Probably with the same connectors. Maybe you can find something here: https://weblance.com.ua/389-mikrotik-go ... o-4x4.html I don't know russian so I can't tell. Photos look like there are 4 connectors on PCB to integrated 5ghz radio I guess.

You can buy SMA pigtails for those connectors.

That said I honestly wonder if mini-pcie USB cards would work in this device. Maybe it'd allow for some frankenstein-style USB support. I also hope that at least some of LEDs will be programmable (for example SFP+ led could be reprogrammed to USR, that would already solve issue to me). Swtich chip in theory could be fixed by soft/firmware. Some things look like they're fixable at greater effort. Some not.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:39 pm

LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

8cqv

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:42 pm

I saw they are U.FL internally, but what worries me is that if you look at the outside pics:
http://certid.org/document/3948604

It looks like the RG316 (or whatever the cable is) passes through the hinge and the antenna is fixed, I understand why they do this as they pass certification with certain antenna and if you then shove some high gain alternatives on its not the same product that was certified to not create interference - but - no use to me wanting to run pigtails outside a rack. Not sure why they have this problem, as other vendors include SMA on the router, but you can see as a company they are very much against it (look at threads on adding external to HAP/Lite etc).

If you look at the non-WiFi version:

You can see 4 large circles, I am sure you could drill the case out for SMA U.FL pigtails but suspect the default aerials will not come off without a fight... and warranty?

lapsio
Topic Author

Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:12 pm

... will not come off without a fight... and warranty?
MikroTik has warranty? xD just rip off those antennas and call it a day. It shouldn't break :D, at least not before end of warranty.

avacha

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:02 am

For us, main disappointment of 4011 is USB removal. As rackmount it can be a good router - nothing superhero-powered, but relatively good for it price, like UBNT ER series.

But why missed USB in desktop SoHo version? Hap ac lite have this for it's price, but the flagship missed it.

Summary: as desktop router for us 4011 is useless - no USB - no way to cheap 4g backup or primary channel.

This is big irony, normis.
As you say: "yes, you will love it!"
Well... it look like there alien on board of X011 series. Stripped alien.
Last edited by avacha on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paternot

Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:18 am

I liked the 4011. The only bad thing is the lack of USB: it can be quite handy sometimes... At its price point is a very good router.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:00 pm

Oh yeah, let's create a decent 10 port router and then let's put Realtek switch chips into it, so you could never use these to do proper switching in SOHO deployments.

r00t

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:03 pm

Mikrotik marketing and device design needs some more consistency:
First, they release WOOBM and say it's a best thing to manage your routers, just perfect solution everyone should buy and use...
...then they release new router with great specs, but with no USB port to plug WOOBM into.

And it's not just WOOBM... when the CPU does have USB, why not have it accessible?
How much would that cost, $2/unit? Even internal header would be fine... just don't leave these available peripherals unconnected.
Use full power of the CPU and what it offers. Same for the UART - internal header is OK, but please have it.
Why cripple this otherwise great router like this? It's same as lack of buzzer.
That is again what... one transistor on GPIO pin and buzzer? $1 or probably even less?

Lack of display is understandable, but lack of USB and buzzer is just plain stupid decision that should have not been made.

lapsio
Topic Author

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Hey everyone! Let's have a poll :D

Let's tell MikroTik what we expect from RB4011 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138969&p=684987#p684987

whitbread
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:07 am

Maybe specs are meant to increase sales on RB3011... ;-)

From my perspective it is the better option as I don't see any decent performance upgrade with multicore. hap ac2 is doing only slightly faster than rb2011 in my environment (far away from wire-speed).

lustyffh

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:39 pm

I wonder if mini-pcie toUSB adapter will work in this router? In such a way we could have had USB at the expense of 2ghz radio.

marcin21
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:56 pm

I wonder if mini-pcie toUSB adapter will work in this router? In such a way we could have had USB at the expense of 2ghz radio.
why don't use any minipcie 2ghz capable wireless card?

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:20 pm

why don't use any minipcie 2ghz capable wireless card?
RB4011 has included 2.4 ghz card. Question was if we can get USB instead of 2.4 ghz. For example to get 3G/LTE USB modem or USB storage etc. There are plenty of mpcie -> usb cards but we don't know if they're gonna work with RB4011.

Like this one:

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:07 pm

RB4011 has included 2.4 ghz card. Question was if we can get USB instead of 2.4 ghz. For example to get 3G/LTE USB modem or USB storage etc. There are plenty of mpcie -> usb cards but we don't know if they're gonna work with RB4011.
Of course those cards work without problem, but what is more interesting: is there any support for the USB device you are
going to connect in a firmware for a device that natively doesn't have USB. You will have to find that yourself.
(I presume it will not be a problem as the same firmware is used on other devices that have USB)

Dejan

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:42 pm

I have one question about WiFi version RB4011(RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN). Currently I use hAP ac(RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT) for my home network. Im remove ISP modem and put optical transciver into mikrotik and setup firewall rules, pppoe, vlan's, capsman, vpn's... For Internet I use pppoe on sfp1 interface. For video I use vlan and bridge on SFP and ports which are STB's connected. For phone(VOIP) I use another vlan and bridge on sfp1 and port on which is VIOP phone.
Main problem to change hap ac with new RB4011 and use SFP+ is if my ISP transciver will work in it...
I have only this data about transciver:
sfp_1.JPG
sfp_2.JPG
sfp_3.JPG
RB4011 is not cheap(cca. 220€) to buy and then find that I can't use it... Thanks for any info...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lapsio
Topic Author

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:53 pm

I have one question about WiFi version RB4011(RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN). Currently I use hAP ac(RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT) for my home network. Im remove ISP modem and put optical transciver into mikrotik and setup firewall rules, pppoe, vlan's, capsman, vpn's... For Internet I use pppoe on sfp1 interface. For video I use vlan and bridge on SFP and ports which are STB's connected. For phone(VOIP) I use another vlan and bridge on sfp1 and port on which is VIOP phone.
Main problem to change hap ac with new RB4011 and use SFP+ is if my ISP transciver will work in it...
sfp_1.JPG
sfp_2.JPG
sfp_3.JPG

RB4011 is not cheap(cca. 220€) to buy and then find that I can't use it... Thanks for any info...
I think MikroTik didn't say that RB4011 doesn't support 1G or anything like that. Though ROS is a bit nasty with 1G modules in 10G ports. It requires disabling autonegotiation and not all devices go along with it well. For example I couldn't get to work S+RJ10 at 1G rate with my laptop because its NIC doesn't allow to disable autonegotiation.

If other side will use SFP port and require autonegotiation you may be out of luck. For me link did work with "autonegotiation" enabled (that resulted in laptop detecting 1G and S+RJ10 detecting "10G") but there was a lot of retransmissions.

Janevski

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 am

This is all i found about RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN: http://km.mk/Test-Setup-Photos-3948607.pdf

Does anyone have board images and block diagrams?

If so, please share so i can bitch and complain on how MikroTik puts electrolytic caps in everything.
I know they're perhaps unavoidable when you want to mass produce cheap, small, highly integrated = non modular, PoE enabled thing with various multi purposes - ("wtf am i doing, this is SOHO on steroids..."), but i guess that's consumer demand ("plz i need a cheap box that does everything and looks cool, has aerodynamic antennas and i want a cookie") and built in obsolescence ("middle finger to you user, gimme ur moniez and here's your stupid cookie").

The thing is, i'd like to see MikroTik with more stable and durable hardware. Not more powerful.

Dejan

Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:48 am

What about this link:
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_ ... -downloads

And block diagram:

8cqv

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 am

At least you can see the antennas are fixed, as they seem to be using u.fl to SMA to N to do the test.

Still plan to buy the rackmount one to replace hap ac2 routing, shame about the switch chips but doing my switching in crs328.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:03 pm

I'll probably buy this too, as I only need two "dumb" 4 port switches in addition to 1GB/s capable router.
Still it is a pity that we don't have proper switching available, you will never know when you would actually need it.

lapsio
Topic Author

Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 pm

Still it is a pity that we don't have proper switching available, you will never know when you would actually need it.
I'm using RB2011 as small "ports extension" switch + AP for CCR1009. Because CCR1009 has significantly higher routing performance it made sense to use RB2011 switch just as switch for CCR1009 instead of using RB2011 for routing. When I was buing RB2011 many years ago as primary router I had no idea I'll ever have CCR1009. Nor that I'll need switch chip features of RB2011. So it's totally true.

cgrey001
just joined

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I'm still fairly new to MT. I'm enjoying the RB450Gx4 and have the RB4011iGS+RM on pre-order with a US authorized distributor.

Question(s) on how RouterOS handles the two switch chips and impact to performance:

1. How does QuickSet typically handle two switch chips? Does it define two separate subnets with the ports 2-5 bridged (port 1 reserved for WAN), and ports 6-10 bridged)? Or does it bridge the two switch groups together?

2. What is the performance impact bridging the two switch groups together? Does it disable hw acceleration (IPv4 forwarding, IPv6 forwarding, fast path, etc.)?

lapsio
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:35 pm

Or does it bridge the two switch groups together?
^ This
2. What is the performance impact bridging the two switch groups together? Does it disable hw acceleration (IPv4 forwarding, IPv6 forwarding, fast path, etc.)?
Depends on CPU. In RB2011 performance hit was quite significant but second switch in RB2011 was 10/100 so still ports were bottleneck. Bridge performance is illustrated in performance table. You can assume it's performance of traffic between switch chips if they're bridged.

It won't disable HW offload inside single switch but there won't be HW acceleration of bridging between switch chips (bridging between ports belonging to 2 differenct switch chips will be full software) but fasttrack will work. Considering performance of 4011 performance of bridge should be like 10G so it doesn't sound like bottleneck. Maybe latency increase but throughput - not really affected. But you need to keep in mind that traffic between 2 switch chips will be limited to 2.5 Gbps due to device architecture, as this is throughput of link between switch chip and CPU. So if you have gigabit traffic between 3 ports from one switch chip and 3 ports from the other one, it'll be capped at 2.5 Gbps, not 3.

cgrey001
just joined

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Thank you for the explanation. I know I'm getting ahead of myself on the config before the device is even shipping. But based on the 2.5Gb/s limitation for each switch chip, it would be best to place devices with a majority of internet traffic on the same switch chip as the port being used for WAN? I ask because I would be connecting to a gigabit internet connection.

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:38 pm

Thank you for the explanation. I know I'm getting ahead of myself on the config before the device is even shipping. But based on the 2.5Gb/s limitation for each switch chip, it would be best to place devices with a majority of internet traffic on the same switch chip as the port being used for WAN? I ask because I would be connecting to a gigabit internet connection.
This concern is only valid if you have internet faster than 1.25 gbps and actually no, it'd be best to put in different switch - imagine case where you have hypothetically 2.5 gbps symmetric internet connected to ether1 (switch1). If full duplex traffic goes from ether2 (the same switch chip) your packet goes from ether2 to cpu (via switch1 cpu port) and then from cpu to ether1 (via the same switch-to-cpu connection) so you'd be capped at 1.25gbps if doing full duplex because each packet, as well as response will go through switch1 to cpu connection twice (for 1 packet sent and 1 received packets go though link twice in each direction).

If traffic goes via ether6 (switch2) then each packet goes once through switch2 to cpu connection and once through cpu to switch1 connection so you'll have full duplex 2.5 gbps

So technically ROUTING will perform better between switches but SWITCHING will perform better inside single switch. You typically don't perform switching/bridging to gateway, but routing with serious firewall xD

Please note that I explicitly mentioned full duplex because if you only download packets then path from ether1 to cpu will use 2.5gbps "downlink" and from cpu to ether2 will use 2.5 gbps "uplink" so it won't cap but will use full 2.5 up/2.5 down connection between cpu and switch even though you only download so you technically get unidirectional communication.

Alternative option would be using SFP+ for uplink but that can be tricky due to ROS sloppy 1G sfp modules support in 10G sfp+ cages (autonegotiation issues).

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:20 pm

By looking at the diagram, the best option would be to utilize SFP for uplink, not the switches :)
Alternative option would be using SFP+ for uplink but that can be tricky due to ROS sloppy 1G sfp modules support in 10G sfp+ cages (autonegotiation issues).
You should probably use SFP+ module, not SFP one to avoid sloppyness.
For example: https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10
It should support all link rates, including 10Mbps one :D

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:36 pm

You should probably use SFP+ module, not SFP one to avoid sloppyness.
For example: https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10
It should support all link rates, including 10Mbps one :D
Yes it should. Too bad it doesn't. I have this particular module. It negotiates to 10G when connected laptop. When I disable autonegotiation I can set it to fixed 1G but my network card in laptop doesn't allow to disable autonegotiation and doesn't work then.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138082&p=680211&hil ... 10#p680211

S+RJ10 is known to be crap. The only reason why it makes sense is price which is fundamentally lower than other 10G copper modules. Other than that it's crap. Doesn't work with jumbo frames, flaps and sucks.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:47 pm

OK, nice to know...

cgrey001
just joined

Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:36 am

Is there a recommended SFP+ 10G Copper module that is proven to negotiate to 1G reliably?

Dejan

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:44 pm

sfp_1.JPG
sfp_2.JPG
sfp_3.JPG

Today Im copy configuration from HAP AC to CRS326-24G-2S+RM(RouterOS mode) and configure sfp+ as WAN insted of SFP(on hap ac) and pppoe, multicats, voip, iptv work normaly as in hap ac... Does this mean that it will also work on RB4011 or can different CPU/Switch chip produce some problems? Im check SFP module and it is 6COM 6C-eWDM-0220AS 155M-1.25G Tx1310 20KM SC

lapsio
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Today Im copy configuration from HAP AC to CRS326-24G-2S+RM(RouterOS mode) and configure sfp+ as WAN insted of SFP(on hap ac) and pppoe, multicats, voip, iptv work normaly as in hap ac... Does this mean that it will also work on RB4011 or can different CPU/Switch chip produce some problems? Im check SFP module and it is 6COM 6C-eWDM-0220AS 155M-1.25G Tx1310 20KM SC
It should. CPU is similar (the same arch) in hAP ac, CRS-326 and RB4011. RB has inferior switch chip to both hAP ac and CRS but providing that you migrated config just like that I assume you didn't use switch chip features of hAP ac (/interface ethernet switch) so it should work.

lapsio
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:13 pm

Is there a recommended SFP+ 10G Copper module that is proven to negotiate to 1G reliably?
I believe it's ROS/routerboard issue. Not SFP modules issue.

xvo

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:10 am

It should. CPU is similar (the same arch) in hAP ac, CRS-326 and RB4011.
hAP AC is MIPSPBE, CRS-326 and RB4011 are ARM.

lapsio
Topic Author

Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:12 am

It should. CPU is similar (the same arch) in hAP ac, CRS-326 and RB4011.
hAP AC is MIPSPBE, CRS-326 and RB4011 are ARM.
Ah srr, I was thinking about ac² as it's quad core ARM just like 4011. My bad.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:54 pm

I wonder if S-RJ01 would work on SFP+ cage to take that SFP port into use...?
I would really hate to use Switched ports for Uplink due to lack of their configurability and I only have 1Gbit ISP link anyway.

In case you wonder, ISP provides GPON fiber, but disallows third party vendor ONT devices, including ONU SFP's and their ONT has 1G ethernet port.

cgrey001
just joined

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:01 am

Agreed. I would definitely like to use the SFP port for uplink. I have a bunch of 10Gtek 1G copper modules laying around that I could test. That would prevent the negotiation problem to 1G as they are fixed modules. I'll give the 10Gtek 10G copper module a try too. I'm in a similar situation where I only have a 1G internet connection through DOCSIS 3.1 modem. (My only 10G device is a UniFi UAP-XG. No need to have that bandwidth on the UAP-XG link since the WAN connection is the limitation. Doubtful, I would have a scenario where the LAN services and WAN from several device would saturate a gigabit link as there are other APs in the environment.)

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:31 am

I wonder if S-RJ01 would work on SFP+ cage to take that SFP port into use...?
I would really hate to use Switched ports for Uplink due to lack of their configurability and I only have 1Gbit ISP link anyway.

In case you wonder, ISP provides GPON fiber, but disallows third party vendor ONT devices, including ONU SFP's and their ONT has 1G ethernet port.
Look at bottom of https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_rm, S-RJ01 is not listed, S+RJ10 is, 1G and 10G regular optical modules are listed.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

8cqv

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:25 am

Why not use the compatibility table?
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... lity_table

S-RJ01 not supported. S+RJ10 is supported, no mention of any restrictions under the S+RJ10 section.

Footnote 4 says you can only use a SFP+ DAC at 10Gb

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:33 am

Why not use the compatibility table?
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik_ ... lity_table

S-RJ01 not supported. S+RJ10 is supported, no mention of any restrictions under the S+RJ10 section.

I could swear that 4011 was not listed there yesterday, when I posted this question here... :shock:

Code: Select all

This page was last edited on 21 September 2018, at 09:38.

whatever
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:35 am

Doesn't it rather say that you cannot use passive SFP+ DAC at all? RB4011 seems to be the only Mikrotik SFP+ device which is incompatible with Mikrotik's own direct attach cables.

lapsio
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Doesn't it rather say that you cannot use passive SFP+ DAC at all? RB4011 seems to be the only Mikrotik SFP+ device which is incompatible with Mikrotik's own direct attach cables.
Wait what. Dafaq. No DAC support? How is it even a thing?... It's ridiculous. Low cost 10G that doesn't allow to use low cost 10G interconnect. Getting two S+85DLC03D and optical patchcord instead of one S+D0001 makes this device already almost as expensive as CCR1009.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Well, this product starts to look even more wierd... :D

arturs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:16 pm

The device support active DAC cables.

lapsio
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:32 pm

The device support active DAC cables.
Oh wonderful, so for example one like this for only 100 eur

https://www.redcorp.com/en/product/fibr ... 1/m852cq82

I can hardly find any 1m active DACs or anything below/equal 3m

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:41 pm

I'm starting to think that the only reason for RB4011 to have that SFP+ is that MT can claim it offers "1733 Mbps data rate" (see top most banner on all forum pages).
One could hardly claim that if all wired ports were 1Gbps.
BR,
Metod

matuss
just joined

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm starting to think that the only reason for RB4011 to have that SFP+ is that MT can claim it offers "1733 Mbps data rate" (see top most banner on all forum pages).
One could hardly claim that if all wired ports were 1Gbps.

That is related to wifi performance as it has 4 chains for 5GHz radio.
From official description:

RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN (WiFi model) is dual band, four chain unit with a supported data rate of up to 1733 Mbps in 5GHz. For legacy devices, the unit also has a dual chain 2GHz wireless card installed in miniPCI-e slot.