Community discussions

xvo

Re: RB4011

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm starting to think that the only reason for RB4011 to have that SFP+ is that MT can claim it offers "1733 Mbps data rate" (see top most banner on all forum pages).
One could hardly claim that if all wired ports were 1Gbps.
2x1Gbps would be enough for that.

8cqv

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:14 pm

I could swear that 4011 was not listed there yesterday, when I posted this question here... :shock:

Code: Select all

This page was last edited on 21 September 2018, at 09:38.
Just looked, looks like info was added this morning :lol: I had the page bookmarked so checked it and posted the link earlier.

In fact the footnote on DAC has also been edited since this morning! Now reads:
4. RB4011 -- Only active Direct Attach Cables are supported. MikroTik S+DA0001/S+DA0003 passive DAC are not supported.
Generic active DAC does not seem extortionate, even if it’s 4* cost passive one?
https://www.fs.com/products/48884.html

Actually leaning away from RB4011 towards RB3011 as for what I need it’s fast enough, it now has IPSec hw acceleration and I can do vlan switching with the switch chip unlike RB4011.

Also the perfectionist in me wonders what it looks like rackmounted as the rack kit is not full height? (Presumably for the passive cooling?).

On paper I should just buy a HEX S it seems as it’s faster than my link...

8cqv

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Footnote 4 says you can only use a SFP+ DAC at 10Gb
Doesn't it rather say that you cannot use passive SFP+ DAC at all? RB4011 seems to be the only Mikrotik SFP+ device which is incompatible with Mikrotik's own direct attach cables.
It does in the latest edit, it didn’t this morning when I posted...

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 pm

I'm starting to think that the only reason for RB4011 to have that SFP+ is that MT can claim it offers "1733 Mbps data rate" (see top most banner on all forum pages).
One could hardly claim that if all wired ports were 1Gbps.
That is related to wifi performance as it has 4 chains for 5GHz radio.
Indeed. There are firm believers (even members of this forum) in concept that "what comes out, must come in". So if radio is capable of transmitting at rate of 1.7Gbps, that data has to come from somewhere (I kind of doubt that random generator in RB4011 is capable of generating data at this rate). This device is quite obviously not targeting the most demanding user base, so MT can not expect everybody to use 2x1Gbps in a bond (as per @xvo's suggestion).

I'm forgetting about realistically achievable over-the-air data rates on purpose. Probably MT's own argument about gigabit wired interface not being necessary on 60GHz Lite unit can kick on here as well.
BR,
Metod

deanMKD1

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 pm

Too wait for proper upgrade from RB2011, but RB4011 is not my choise anymore, especially when removed USB port. Will switich to UBNT.

lapsio
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 pm

Too wait for proper upgrade from RB2011, but RB4011 is not my choise anymore, especially when removed USB port. Will switich to UBNT.
I don't think UBNT has USB either tho xD
They should just make RB3011 in desktop case. It'd be bilion times better idea than this joke.

Quindor

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:17 pm

Although technically a lot of complaints in this topic have a basis somewhere I don't really understand the complaints about the RB4011 series.

For anyone who has a 500Mbit or a 1Gbit Internet connection coming into their home/business and who wants to do routing between internal subnets above 1Gbps and have some CAPSman AP's connected, the 4011 series seems like a great device! I'm running a CCR1009 personally, but if I wasn't I would buy a RB4011 in a heartbeat. In some tasks it will actually outperform the CCR1009 because of the higher single threaded performance.

So performance wise it should be steller for a great price. Passive cooling is good and although the switch doesn't seem to support VLANs with the amount of power this thing has, doing a few Gigabit through the CPU shouldn't really be an issue? Better then getting a similarly priced UBNT device where if you enable certain features you're speed drops through the floor.

It doesn't have an USB port. Could have been nice, be in all honesty the amount of times I've used one is rare, very rare. If we now have to buy a cheap Routerboard LTE device for that, that's ok.

And the LCD. I have lots of Mikrotik's with LCD's, you use them never. Do you want to pay a 10$ (or whatever the cost is) premium for that? Generally the answer would be no for most people.

Then speaking of the wireless version, it's the first Mikrotik 4 chain device and has external antennas again so I'm really curious how it will perform. :)

Complaints like "the wireless can go up to 1733Mbit so you need more 10Gbit" I just don't get. If you know anything about wireless you know you can't compare stated wireless speed with cable speeds. And even if you could, 90% of devices out there only have 2 chains. Certain Macbooks are exceptions and have 3 chains, but that's a rarity. So that theoretical speed, you're never going to achieve that. Wireless still isn't as fast as a cable, no matter what it says on the box. Maybe in an ideal situation using both the 5Ghz radio and 2.4Ghz radio you could come close to 1Gbps of real throughput, maybe.... Not until 60Ghz wireless becomes a common thing do you need to worry about the speed of your wired ports.

Then what use is 4 antennas? Beamforming and other features can make great use of it, especially in situations where multiple (2 chain) clients are connected, overall speed will remain higher, which is good. :)

So maybe I'm missing some big points here but to me this RB4011 looks great for small business use or in a more demanding home situations. Plenty of power and passively cooled, great! I also really like that it can do hardware AES so you can tunnel all your traffic through a VPN tunnel in a work related situation or at home through PIA or something like that! :D

This is my opinion, and I'm sure there are use cases where this device doesn't suit the need, but I just wanted to show some positive excited thoughts about it instead of the bad reception it's been getting.

p.s. I just read that it might not support passive DAC cables in the SFP+ slot? If that turns out to be true that would be a big missing feature in my opinion.
http://www.campzone.nl World's Largest Outdoor LANParty, http://intermit.tech Intermittend Technology blog, My blog about the ESP8266, IP Camera's and other tech related subjects!

storp

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 pm

That's exactly my use case, I have 1Gbit Internet, run a few vlans in my network on a mix of CSS326 (10 Gbit between these) and HP switches, have four MT AP and would like to have them routed faster than I can with my now ageing RB1100Hx2. My other choice would be the CCR1009 which I find a bit to expensive for home usage. Ofc all the options others point out are missing would have been nice to have but I can make do without them. I'm looking forward to buy the RB4011!

lapsio
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:14 pm

So maybe I'm missing some big points here but to me this RB4011 looks great for small business use or in a more demanding home situations. Plenty of power and passively cooled, great! I also really like that it can do hardware AES so you can tunnel all your traffic through a VPN tunnel in a work related situation or at home through PIA or something like that! :D
There's only 1 issue with RB4011. It shouldn't be named RB4011. It's not device that is direct successor of RB2011 and RB3011. It's different class of device and shouldn't share its name, shouldn't give hope that it's RB3011 refresh because it lacks half of RB3011 features. That's it. There's nothing wrong with this device itself. It's just that it's not what it claims to be.

If MikroTik would make now RB2100AHx4 or whatever could be name for RB1100 successor without bypass ports it'd result in similar butthurt because it just wouldn't be the same device. Or RB951 successor without switch chip. It's something defining this platform. MikroTik dropped half of features defining what RB2011 and RB3011 are and called it RB4011 just because. The only thing that RB4011 has in common with 3011 and 2011 is number and type of ports. THE END. It doesn't have any other feature that 2011 and 3011 used to have. NOTHING, zero nada, null. No, wait it has console port. So it has 1 feature that others used to have. Bravo, truly spectacular. If MikroTik can't think of name for new series of devices then I can give pro tip: https://www.random.org/strings/

THIS. is the problem. In fact the only problem.

8cqv

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:40 pm

I think it will be a good seller, especially in parts of the world with 1gbit Fibre at home is available, I think most people in the thread so far have a specific use in mind and so for them the feature set may not match their use case, but that's the same with most of the mikrotik range right? You only have to look at the table to switch chips and products to realise how much each range or device differs from each other, not to mention all the different CPU architectures - part of their sucess and weakness you could argue.

It will be interesting to see what people think once they start shipping, especially the wifi performance with the 4 chain radio - but still no wave2 I think - based on my experience with the hAP AC² (first mikrotik device I bought) you might see some issues with the initial firmware and performance...

lapsio
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:53 pm

You only have to look at the table to switch chips and products to realise how much each range or device differs from each other, not to mention all the different CPU architectures - part of their sucess and weakness you could argue.
And that's wrong. Naming schemes indicate something. If you saw iPhone 9 and it turned out to be Android phone, would you really look into spec sheet to figure that out? No, you'd just assume it's "better" than iPhone 8 and it probably doesn't have half of features missing. Nobody would ever think it has Android. Names suggest something. It's not just random label put on product because someone in sales department is bored and had bad weekend. When I heard for the first time about RB4011 I was shocked that it doesn't have civilized switch chip or USB. If I didn't find such info (because I'm passionate and I do like reading routers reviews I found it. But I might have bought it without much of research just as well. Just like I bough CRS317 totally YOLO and realized it doesn't have usb and can't mirror span to 2 independent ports the day it arrived) I'd probably just assume it's better RB2011 and buy it. And then boom, freaking zonk because I actually do actively use switch chip in RB2011 so I couldn't simply replace it with RB4011 like I would assume I should be able to.

In my scenario RB4011 is not drop-in replacement for RB2011 or RB3011 even that name suggests it's just refresh of RB3011 - it's simply not. The difference is huge.

Yes it's good device. Great device for even greater money. I also want to buy it actually. But I still want proper RB2011 spiritual successor that would live up to "RB4011" name. Current RB4011 in my opinion should be named differently. It has probably more in common with RB1100AHx4 than RB3011 tbh. It's great device with wrong and misleading name that suggests it's something that in reality isn't.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:10 am

You only have to look at the table to switch chips and products to realise how much each range or device differs from each other, not to mention all the different CPU architectures - part of their sucess and weakness you could argue.
And that's wrong. Naming schemes indicate something. If you saw iPhone 9 and it turned out to be Android phone, would you really look into spec sheet to figure that out? No, you'd just assume it's "better" than iPhone 8 and it probably doesn't have half of features missing. Nobody would ever think it has Android. Names suggest something. It's not just random label put on product because someone in sales department is bored and had bad weekend. When I heard for the first time about RB4011 I was shocked that it doesn't have civilized switch chip or USB. If I didn't find such info (because I'm passionate and I do like reading routers reviews I found it. But I might have bought it without much of research just as well. Just like I bough CRS317 totally YOLO and realized it doesn't have usb and can't mirror span to 2 independent ports the day it arrived) I'd probably just assume it's better RB2011 and buy it. And then boom, freaking zonk because I actually do actively use switch chip in RB2011 so I couldn't simply replace it with RB4011 like I would assume I should be able to.

In my scenario RB4011 is not drop-in replacement for RB2011 or RB3011 even that name suggests it's just refresh of RB3011 - it's simply not. The difference is huge.

Yes it's good device. Great device for even greater money. I also want to buy it actually. But I still want proper RB2011 spiritual successor that would live up to "RB4011" name. Current RB4011 in my opinion should be named differently. It has probably more in common with RB1100AHx4 than RB3011 tbh. It's great device with wrong and misleading name that suggests it's something that in reality isn't.

frecuent situation in forum

some users want a device what fit perfectly for their needs, that just dont happen every time

rb4011 is what it is, if not serve your purpose take another model

we already ordered 100 units of it, for us is not perfect but we can adapt to it to take advantage of it

sorry about your situation

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:39 am

Too bad, they don't sell 3011 in desktop case...as Rack mounted device just won't physically fit everywhere... :?

Anyway, I will still buy 4011, as soonas it becomes available, as I can live without vlan's on LAN side and I only need two dummy 5 port switches for that deployment...
As far as diagram goes, this should be doable, different vlan/bridge/subnet per switch chip.

avacha

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 am

some users want a device what fit perfectly for their needs, that just dont happen every time
If some user ask for the succesor of 2011/3011 - not ccr1009, 951, or other MT models, it can be right to hope that some main series features, at least, can be unchanged. If we need more powerful routing - we simply ask for successor of CCR's or buy equpment from other manufacturer.
For this device, users wants a balanced amount of 1Gbit copper ports, average routing capablility (level near hAP ac2 or RB450GX2 can be... adequate for most of us) and last but not least - peripheral abilities (USB) for use as AIO device on relatively small installations.
Today, if we need a pure superpowered routing - we just can buy RM-desktop version of 4011.

But why we need a wireless version for it's price and infamous castrated MT AC onboard?
Last edited by avacha on Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dejan

Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 am

What mean that it do not support VLAN? So I can't create VLAN interface on SFP+ and ETH3 like Im on HAP AC(RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT) and then put this VLAN interfaces in bridge together with ETH1&ETH2(Normal eth interfaces without vlan interface) ? Or it only doesn't support VLAN under switch settings(I don't use this feature)?
Bridge:
bridge.JPG
Interfaces:
interface.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dejan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:17 pm

I think that you can do vlan's on SFP interface, as it is directly connected to CPU, not really sure about GE ports, but according to Realtek switch chip documentation in MikroTik wiki, it does not support vlans.

Quindor

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:26 pm

I believe the configuration you have above will work just fine. All traffic will go through the CPU, which is the same as it is doing right judging from your screenshots.

They are referring to having the switching chip handle VLAN translations, that it is not capable of right now. So if you heavily rely on this (like you would on a switch), it might not be the best choice. Otherwise, with the CPU it has, the RB4011 can probably handle a few Gigabit of traffic while doing VLAN tagging in CPU without an issue.
http://www.campzone.nl World's Largest Outdoor LANParty, http://intermit.tech Intermittend Technology blog, My blog about the ESP8266, IP Camera's and other tech related subjects!

Dejan

Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:50 pm

Thanks for answers. Now I understand if I make vlan's on interfaces it will be handled in CPU(like now) and switch chip VLAN support not effect it. Because I need "transfer" VLAN's from sfpplus port to some ethernet ports switch chip VLAN support do not help me a lot ... I use VLAN's for VOIP and IPTV and there is not a lot traffic(Usual SD iptv stream use 3Mbps and HD around 7Mbps all depend of channel... At same time there is not more than 2-5 streams so max 35Mbps, soon we get 4K streams so it will still be max under 100Mbps ...

In my previous post I made mistake. Screenshots are not from RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN but are from HAP AC(RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT).

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:04 pm

Thanks for answers. Now I understand if I make vlan's on interfaces it will be handled in CPU(like now) and switch chip VLAN support not effect it. Because I need "transfer" VLAN's from sfpplus port to some ethernet ports switch chip VLAN support do not help me a lot ... I use VLAN's for VOIP and IPTV and there is not a lot traffic(Usual SD iptv stream use 3Mbps and HD around 7Mbps all depend of channel... At same time there is not more than 2-5 streams so max 35Mbps, soon we get 4K streams so it will still be max under 100Mbps ...

In my previous post I made mistake. Screenshots are not from RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN but are from HAP AC(RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT).
It does help you. You can use bridge. Maybe even with vlan filtering. This device has enough of horsepower to handle software bridging at rate way beyond gigabit. The only difference between switch chip vlans and software vlans+bridging is performance plus some more advanced features (like protocol vlans, mac vlans, vlan translation etc which is not available in software) and some more sophisticated traffic looping (pushing the same traffic through router more than once eg for in-line processing by security appliances, with software bridging NAT decision is performed only the first time packet reaches router so eg. masquerade won't be applied on final egress).

Long story short: With decent switch chip you have 3 options to implement vlans:
  • hardware switch chip vlan filtering + vlan interfaces attached to bridge (/interface ethernet switch vlan)
  • software bridge with vlan filtering and also vlan interfaces attached to bridge (/interface bridge vlan)
  • vlan interface on each physical port and then simple bridge (without filtering) with appropriate vlan interfaces as bridge ports (separate bridge for each vlan, bridging together vlan interfaces from all physical ports representing the same vlan)
With retarded switch chip first option is not possible. Third variant is the most universal one (allows eg. for inter-vlan bridging with firewall applied) but has lowest performance. It's also the only way that was possible on devices without switch chip at all (like CCR) before new bridge implementation.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:00 pm

There's one big difference between doing VLAN switching in switch chip and doing VLAN "switching" on bridge: misery of datapath between switch chip and CPU. If switching is done within switch chip, it can be up to 5Gbps (sum of all ports' throughput) ... while if it's done by CPU, interconnect limits this to 2.5Gbps. Btw, interconnect in 4011 is a relatively good one, most of small RBs has interconnect (or perhaps two) with speed same as wired ports, hence is the use of HW offload even more important.

So yes, RB4011 is good for VLAN "switching" between SFP+ and copper ports (throughput more or less evenly distributed between them). No, it's not good as switch between copper ports. And no, it can't really push all those 10Gbps of SFP+ through copper ports. The only way of using SFP+ port to its full capacity is to use RB4011 as (mostly) "router on a stick" between different VLANs. Where lack of decent switch chip isn't an issue anymore.
BR,
Metod

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:17 pm

When you want to do switching, buy a switch.
That is why I don't think routers with so many ports are that useful.
In a small setup it usually is enough to have about 5 ports, and when you need more or want features like VLAN, add a switch.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:32 pm

When you want to do switching, buy a switch.
That is why I don't think routers with so many ports are that useful.
In a small setup it usually is enough to have about 5 ports, and when you need more or want features like VLAN, add a switch.
Well, they are extremely useful on confined spaces, where router + switch do not fit into wall enclosure, etc...

For example, I have a problem, where there are 4 rooms, 2 cables per room which makes 8 cables + uplink.
Space to accomodate all the gear is very limited, pretty much as big as an 1,5 sheets of A4 paper, approx 5cm in depth, where all the cabling meets up.
Pretty common design for the new appartement buildings around here.

There is pretty much no way to fit 8-port switch + decent router in there, as half of the space is occupied by the ODF, ISP ONT + 2 power sockets.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:17 pm

But that is an environment where you do not need (or want) a switch...
I am addressing those that want a high-performance switch and feel limited by the architecture of MikroTik routers with one or more 5-port switch chips.
My opinion is that you should not try to do advanced switching (groups of more than 5 ports and/or VLAN etc, with wirespeed between ports) on those routers.
They are not suited for it. Get a switch. IMHO not from MikroTik, their switches lack a lot of commonly available features or they are in first development.
When you want to connect 8 subscribers to an internet (and of course they should not "see eachother") this problem does not arise.

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:53 pm

But that is an environment where you do not need (or want) a switch...
Well sometimes you just want AIO box as cheap as possible. Eg. such RB4011 with wifi. It'd obviously make sense to give it decent switch chip, because come on - if someone buys 10G router with 10 gigabit ports and wifi he obviously wants all-in-one box for everything ever. The only excuse I see is that like I said this router should be able to handle software bridging quite well.

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:22 pm

In my case, I don't even need Wireless, as AP's are separate (hAP ac2), catch is I would like to feed trunk ports to these, to have dedicated vlan and port for STB's.

Reason behind it, is that MikroTik lacks RTSP helper and udpxy so feeding STB's over NAT is very tricky (IGMP proxy works, but some content comes over RTSP streams), much easier would be just to feed ISP Multicast vlan directly as Layer2.

But that is a bit offtopic here, unfortunately I cannot go for RB3011 due to space restrictions and RB2011 CPU just does not cut it (1Gbit/s connection + ipv4 & ipv6 Firewall).
Well, no worries...if there is a will, there is a way, if I get my hands on RB4011, I will probably figure something out :)
Last edited by Etz on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 pm

unfortunately I cannot go for RB3011 due to space restrictions
Well technically I guess you could take RB3011 out of chassis if network cabinet is closed anyways... I guess...

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Well technically I guess you could take RB3011 out of chassis if network cabinet is closed anyways... I guess...
There is no network cabinet as such (click for bigger picture) but this could be an option indeed:

Anyway, let's switch back to the RB4011 discussion now :P

lapsio
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:11 pm

There was time when RB2011 was sold as barebone (without case) just like some current routerboards. Not sure why they abandoned it. Probably didn't sell well.

whatever
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Imho the lack of switch chip features could be neglected if you had the possibility to connect a "real" switch to the 10G port via a cheap cable. However, the lack of passive DAC support forces you to spend 100+€ for this connection instead of ~25€. Combining both these weaknesses into an otherwise quite attractive device is very unfortunate.

8cqv

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Imho the lack of switch chip features could be neglected if you had the possibility to connect a "real" switch to the 10G port via a cheap cable. However, the lack of passive DAC support forces you to spend 100+€ for this connection instead of ~25€. Combining both these weaknesses into an otherwise quite attractive device is very unfortunate.
Agree its going to catch a few people out, but if you look at the link in my post 152 (viewtopic.php?p=688286#p687944) they are only €35 new, and used Cisco cables are even cheaper on eBay - is it that big of a deal?

whatever
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:13 am

Agree its going to catch a few people out, but if you look at the link in my post 152 (viewtopic.php?p=688286#p687944) they are only €35 new,
Are you using any of their products? They are offering 10GbE Multimode optics for 15€ while the competition is selling them for 50. There's got to be a catch.
and used Cisco cables are even cheaper on eBay - is it that big of a deal?
Could you provide a link? The cheapest eBay product I came up with was $50, shipped directly from China.

I don't decline that there may be cheap options for active 10G connectivity, but passive DAC would have been available everywhere for a reasonable price.

lapsio
Topic Author

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:27 pm

They are offering 10GbE Multimode optics for 15€ while the competition is selling them for 50. There's got to be a catch.
I'm using 10Gtek DACs which were even cheaper than MikroTik ones and work perfectly fine so I wouldn't judge by price. It's just generic chinese module that can be reprogrammed to present itself as Cisco, Mellanox, Intel, whatever. You can buy SFP programmater for like 300$ and reprogram any generic module to whatever brand you want to bypass brand checking. That's basically how "compatible" modules are made.
Last edited by lapsio on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 pm

I've had no issues with fs.com 10G DACs between Mikrotik, Netgear and Linksys gear. The stuff is all from China but they seem to have their logistics nailed down pretty well which is how they can offer such good pricing. I know a lot of other people in the industry also use FS so it's not like they're a noname company.

It's a bit disappointing that the 4011 requires an active cable, but the price really isn't that bad. I hope there aren't too many other "gotchas" with this product as it looks very promising.

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:21 pm

Has anyone been able to order one of these yet? Seems like the expected stock arrival dates keep getting pushed back.

lapsio
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:43 pm

Has anyone been able to order one of these yet? Seems like the expected stock arrival dates keep getting pushed back.
All polish shops I checked claimed "Beginning of October". They claimed so since very beginning and they still do.

kamillo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 pm

cdr.pl initial claimed arrival at the mid September then changed that to "Beginning of October". https://linitx.com has date of 16th of October

cgrey001
just joined

Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:22 pm

Mikrotik sales inquiry for the US said "October" availability. I was able to pre-order through Streakwave (authorized reseller).

Janevski

Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:19 am

What about this link:
https://mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_ ... -downloads

And block diagram:
Thank you for the block diagram.

I found some board photos too, thanks to: https://weblance.com.ua/389-mikrotik-go ... o-4x4.html

Etz
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Pre-ordered non-wireless one (as I only need L3 aggregation + 2 dumb switches), we'll see... 8)

Wondering, if Cisco console cable would work on these...

lapsio
Topic Author

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:15 pm

Wondering, if Cisco console cable would work on these...
It worked with RB2011

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Being a CCR1009 owner I can confirm - it is way overkill for home use. I ended with it only because I found one used for nearly the price of 3011.
Otherwise it makes no sense, especially now, when you can get 4011 + CRS326 for the price of 1009.
Though even home user can kill CCR1009 if you use too much stuff on it :D I still don't see fasttrack as "normal" scenario. More like workaround to get more bandwidth from too weak hardware. CCR1009 can at least route full gigabit in full software with full firewall, QoS and all those features that don't work with fasttrack enabled. I recently performed some benchmarking and came to disappointing conclusions: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=138626&p=683407#p683407 But as I stated I don't find it misconfiguration. In this particular case I could use fasttrack but actually for all other networks I use bridging with ip-firewall enabled so in more cases than I can, I can't use fasttrack.
Routing at >1Gbit?!
In home enviroment?!
Not just for testing but in real life?!
Seriously?
Ok. Then there is you, and there is the rest of the world for whom new 4011 will do just fine :lol:
Useless SFP+ for me without a 10G LAN port.

lapsio
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:27 am

It's for router on the stick scenario. It's meant to actually be LAN port, not really WAN port.

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 am

It's for router on the stick scenario. It's meant to actually be LAN port, not really WAN port.
I think it is WAN port for small office or internet-intensive family (not only one intensive user at a time).

lapsio
Topic Author

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 am

I think it is WAN port for small office or internet-intensive family (not only one intensive user at a time).
Well assuming someone has internet faster than 1gbps I guess it could be...

Cheapest MikroTik with two 10G interfaces is CCR1032. But personally I'd still use them as 20G LACP to switch and connect WAN to such switch on some gateway VLAN, rather than connecting WAN directly to one 10G port. Unless you have 10G internet from ISP using sfp+ as pure WAN interface is monumental waste of throughput

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 am

Well assuming someone has internet faster than 1gbps I guess it could be...

Cheapest MikroTik with two 10G interfaces is CCR1032. But personally I'd still use them as 20G LACP to switch and connect WAN to such switch on some gateway VLAN, rather than connecting WAN directly to one 10G port. Unless you have 10G internet from ISP using sfp+ as pure WAN interface is monumental waste of throughput
The point of an SFP+ WAN interface is precisely more than gigabit throughput (not necessarily near 10).

One problem is that I hope the cable router provided by an ISP has at least a 2.5G LAN port.

That CCR is not for home use.
Last edited by vortex on Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:58 am

Isn't this compatible with the S-RJ01 ? Someone might want to use it for some reason.

It is not shown as a related product.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 am

Isn't this compatible with the S-RJ01 ? Someone might want to use it for some reason.

i think you must use S+RJ10 instead.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility, because of ability to recognize id... incompetent people much faster.

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:16 am

What if someone already has an S-RJ01 but no gigabit+ service yet?

xvo

Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Then the router will definitely change it's own internal architecture (or rewrite its own software) just to suit ones needs.
Sorry, could not resist :)

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... lity_table

vortex
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:02 pm

Then the router will definitely change it's own internal architecture (or rewrite its own software) just to suit ones needs.
Sorry, could not resist :)

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/MikroTik ... lity_table
The module would seem to be compatible at the hardware level.