Community discussions

MikroTik App

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Need new hardware (8ports and 16ports)

Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:35 am

This should be a router (8ports and 16ports)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Vitokhv on Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need new hardware (1Gbit main port, others 100Mbit)

Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:05 am

1107_l.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:22 am

Just to clarify:
- you want router with many ports (high-end, gonna be expensive)
- Except main port, you want all remaining ports just 100Mbit (lowend, useful only when you need to save as much as possible)

Maybe I dont understand what you are looking for but it seems to me that you want just lot of slow ports, probably for really low price. But hey - its 2018 and price difference between 1GB and 100MB is almost irrelevant...

What should be the purpose and target group?
Aren't current RB2011/3011/1100 sufficient?

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:55 am

In the office, wall of switch, instead they need routers but with the same number of ports.
Why the router - because need to secure the network with tunnels.

RB2011 not suitable for tasks, too large and red+black, will spoil the appearance on the wall.

On the image, switches that are installed in the office
They constantly have to be rebooted from the power socket

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Need new hardware (8ports and 16ports)

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Network scheme

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:25 pm

So your problem is the color? Correct?

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Yes, the color and number of ports for the router
Image example

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:44 pm

how about when all 8 ports have cables running everywhere :) why would you put a multiport switch in such a place? there is no benefit. this is not wifi, that needs good line of sight

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:09 pm

To do as you suggest, us need to lay the cable at a height of 4 meters, under plasterboard with thermal insulation. in each department of the office comes one ETH outlet. An 8-port switch is connected through this outlet. it's easier for us to replace a device that power off and works not stable than to stretch a bunch of cables through walls and ceiling
We are used to controlling Mikrotik devices it is a pleasure to see all the devices on the network. and in the event of a power failure, we know which device is on the network, and which one is not

Make a switch with WinBox support (on a minimal license, to see only the switch itself via SNMP to detect the disconnected device)
Last edited by Vitokhv on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:12 pm

All I said is that color of the switch will be less important when you have 8 cables coming off the device and going in all directions.
Normally cable runs in the corner, behind the base board.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:06 pm

It seems like you want to do everything on-the-cheap yet you have lots of unusual requirements.
Normally you would use VLAN-capable managable switches in such a network, where you can use separate VLANs for functional groups or even individual systems,
and use trunks between the indvidual switches. At the core switch you would use the proper ACL entries to manage the traffic the way you want, or use a router there.
Of course your router would have to be capable to route the LAN traffic, not only internet.

But if you want to use a hex as the central router in such a network, you probably do not want to spend money.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Image example
It would never look like that though. Surely a CRS112 or CRS326 would do what you need? They can be wall mounted by turning the rack ears 90 degrees.

I've taken the liberty of making your image look realistic though. Please note you can use different coloured LAN cables if you wish.
1200x500.png

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:23 pm

The black wire will not be there ... . because next required functionality, which OP forgot to mention so far, will be PoE in. :evil:

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:58 pm

Steveocee
This image compares only the color of the device in the interior, rather than laying the cable to the workstations (everything is done in the cable duct 25x60 mm)
CRS112 or CRS326 is not suitable for tasks (expensive and two-storey ports, us need one floor ports UTP hid in cable channel 25x60 mm)
For a wall-mounted device, 8 ports must be in one row

pe1chl
I'm not asking for routers anymore, just a shortage of ports, us'll have to install 2 routers (5 ports) that is not profitable and takes two power sockets 220v
we need a stable device that can be controlled via WinBox (no matter what license) or see the device through SNMP

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:59 pm

And one port should be placed on bootom side to be pluggable directly from the wall with 5 cm hidden cable.
This port should be PoE In to power device.
and ports should be colored to let users easy find one ... I am almost listening to technician saying "look for purple port and connect cable to it and then to TV set ... but the green one connect to console .... etc. etc."
LEDs should have dimming mode.
and all ports should be Cat6A
and ...
I have almost forgotten of LCD which could be used to show "You have not payed bills" messages.

Price should be ... let's say 19$ ... to not threaten consumers

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:11 pm

And one port should be placed on bootom side to be pluggable directly from the wall with 5 cm hidden cable.
This port should be PoE In to power device.
and ports should be colored to let users easy find one ... I am almost listening to technician saying "look for purple port and connect cable to it and then to TV set ... but the green one connect to console .... etc. etc."
LEDs should have dimming mode.
and all ports should be Cat6A
and ...
I have almost forgotten of LCD which could be used to show "You have not payed bills" messages.

Price should be ... let's say 19$ ... to not threaten consumers
I'm sold. Take my money!

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Steveocee
This image compares only the color of the device in the interior, rather than laying the cable to the workstations (everything is done in the cable duct 25x60 mm)
CRS112 or CRS326 is not suitable for tasks (expensive and two-storey ports, us need one floor ports UTP hid in cable channel 25x60 mm)
For a wall-mounted device, 8 ports must be in one row
Oh you mean an RB2011 that's been spray painted?
In a corporate office is the colour of a piece of "essential" hardware that much of a problem? If it is that aesthetically driven then surely WiFi could be used?

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:33 pm

BartoszP
What is your problem I gave a simple example of the need for only +3 Ethernet ports?
And you make this a problem, as if I'm imposing the impossible on an already created product that does not have these +3 ports

I demand a lot?
make of Hex Lite (5 ports)> Hex Lite (8 ports)

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:46 pm

Not a problem ... just thinking.
A. Why do you need full featured router?
B. Isn't switch with 8 ports sufficient ... like this one https://mikrotik.com/product/CRS112-8G-4S-IN
C. CRS112 has SFP ports to connect user with FTTH
D. Why white is so important? Mayby we need black ones? Nowadays gray is so popular ... what about gray ones?
E. What about WiFi? Another white box placed near HexLite++?
F. If you want WiFi as a bonus for user then offer him https://mikrotik.com/product/CRS109-8G-1S-2HnD-IN
G. Do you think that all that devices are wall-mounted?
H. If you want to install it somhere near TV or HiFi set then do you think that whit is the perfect choice as most of these devices are black or "dark" colored?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:10 pm

I demand a lot?
make of Hex Lite (5 ports)> Hex Lite (8 ports)
In many cases I use only 2 ports on a router, sometimes even only one.
But I do not demand that a special Hex version with 2 ports is manufactured.

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:19 pm

BartoszP
Two-storey ports are not suitable for cable channel 25x60
The device will not look beautiful and the cables can not be hidden

Above I have already said that we do not have the opportunity to lay a cable under the ceiling 4 meters in height and through a drywall with thermal insulation at such a length it is not possible to stretch the cable, we will have to shoot the whole wall. And those devices that you offer are several times more expensive.

We do not need to change the structure of the cable network, we need to replace the equipment with a capacity of 8 ports

p.s. color is important (white)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 pm

There should be plenty of white 8-port managable and VLAN-capable switches on the market when the demand for that is so obvious as you indicate.
(most of them are black, though)

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:38 pm

Ok. So now just everybody can ask for a custom device for his specific needs and set a price for it himself?!
No to googling for what is actually an the market?
No to designing the network according to it?
No to trying to fit everything in the budget?
Just like that?!

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:49 pm

pe1chl
When you come across a problem - one outlet ethernet for the whole department, then we'll talk (socket for 220v - one)

xvo
Most network devices consist of 8 ports, I just point out that the Mikrotik does not have such devices, even simple switches for 8 ports
Why should we buy a device that turns off periodically, it constantly has to restart, it is better to buy high-quality equipment Mikrotik overpay and use a stable network

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:04 pm

pe1chl
When you come across a problem - one outlet ethernet for the whole department, then we'll talk (socket for 220v - one)

xvo
Most network devices consist of 8 ports, I just point out that the Mikrotik does not have such devices, even simple switches for 8 ports
Why should we buy a device that turns off periodically, it constantly has to restart, it is better to buy high-quality equipment Mikrotik overpay and use a stable network
Your initial “request” was for 8 or 16 port router, not switch. Then somebody showed you RB2011, but you didn’t like the price (and the colour). Then everybody told you that cheap 8-port router is nonsense, and nobody except you needs that. Now you are talking about switches?!

And btw, most of home netwok devices —> most of all network devices have 5 ports.

BartoszP
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Have you considered using two HexLites mounted on opposite walls?
Just reuse one cable from existing infrastructure and extend it with 3 more cables as needed.

OR

buy any WHITE & CHEAP 8-port switch, install it and all the logic configure in propper router/switch/device installed outside apartments in the 19" rack or technical room.

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:27 pm

xvo
It is a cry in emptiness, we can only give an idea, its development and financial return depends on their decision

If you have somewhere to hide the appearance of the device, then you are lucky, and when there is no such opportunity, I have the right to offer my idea, and spit on your opinion
Do not need to point to 5 port devices, as if only they exist

BartoszP
Yes, I answered this above, one socket on 220v and the price for 2 devices is a lot
You understand that it is easier for me to disconnect the old device and connect a new one
Than to make changes in the structure of the network for each department

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 pm

xvo
It is a cry in emptiness, we can only give an idea, its development and financial return depends on their decision

If you have somewhere to hide the appearance of the device, then you are lucky, and when there is no such opportunity, I have the right to offer my idea, and spit on your opinion
Do not need to point to 5 port devices, as if only they exist
Lucky?! No, I just think about wiring and power outlets beforehands.

The good thing is, MT will spit on your opinion just the same way your spit on everybody elses.

Cheers.

Vitokhv
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:16 pm

xvo
What have you changed? Nothing
Such as you do not have your own ideas, only you can go into topics and submit your claims

avacha

Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:38 pm

@Normis
Well, but something from OP can be useful

For us, we have about 50 outposts with following devices:
  • Two IP-cams with 48v PoE
    One HEX PoE
    One mAP lite/cAP Lite
    One special tablet PC with crm/catalog/cash deck, connected with bank card terminal (this equipment provided by third-party).
    Uplink via 4G USB modem with unmetered traffic (plugged into hEX POE)
Tablet connected to cloud via wi-fi (802.11n, provided by cap/map lite)

What will be good for us is hEX POE with cheapest 802.11n inside. It's not for money but for usage. Every time when we use separate AP (cap/map) for small setups like this, we need to mount, power and monitor yet another device. Its not a good. It's a bad for us that you didn't have something with PoE and Wi-Fi in one device.
It's can be good all in one device for small trade outpost.

Second.
Let's imagine that we have a typical house/building about 150...400m2 building with 2- or 3- floors.
We need a connect almost all devices with wireless and few devices (may be TV, network printers or something other)
But we need to build a good wifi coverage. So we place router + separate POE + few wAP/cAP ac.

What will be good - a little mothership/carrier for few CAPs for little setups like this.
It can be like 2011/4011 with or without wireless (I prefer with wireless), but with 5 PoE ports and enought cpu power for CAPsMAN and routing.

And return USB to 4011! :( :evil: