Community discussions

MikroTik App

cgrey001
just joined
Topic Author

RB450Gx4 Performance and POE out

Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:07 am

I wanted to get an honest assessment of the performance of the RB450Gx4 compared to the Ubiquiti Edgemax Edgerouter Lite/POE (ERL / ER-5-POE). I only need one 48V POE out. I also think having all the ports on the switch chip is more flexible.

I am trying to understand which will perform better for Gigabit Internet with basic SOHO firewall. I’m most interested in multiple client performance vs single client speed tests.

Advantages or disadvantages?

Is the RB450Gx4 POE out capable of 48V? If so, is it dependent on the power supply? How many watts?

FoxD
just joined

Re: RB450Gx4 Performance and POE out

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Powering
The device accepts power in the following ways:
  • direct-input power jacks J1/J2 (5.5mm outside and 2mm inside diameter, female, pin positive plug) both accept 10-57V DC.
  • Ether1 Ethernet port accepts 12-57V DC input (at the board; higher voltage needed to compensate for power loss on long cables) from 802.3af/at or passive Power over Ethernet sources.
Max total power consumption with all interfaces loaded is 5 W. You can use any or all inputs at the same time, they will work in failover mode.

Extension slots and ports
  • The first Ethernet port accepts 8-30V DC powering from a passive PoE injector or 802.3af/at PoE switch. Use 12V or more to compensate for any losses in cables.
    The other four Ethernet ports do not support PoE input.
  • The Ether5 port is capable of powering another RouterBOARD device with passive PoE (up to 57 V). The maximum output current is 500 mA.

Passive PoE-Out up to 57 V - Works same as low voltage (up to 30 V) PoE-Out, but is also capable to deliver high voltage over PoE ports. The output voltage depends from the power source connected to PSE. Can power up af/at compatible devices, which accepts power over 4,5 (+) and 7,8 (-), and does not require PoE negotiation. PD resistance on spare pairs should have range from 3kΩ to 26.5kΩ. (e.g. cAP ac, hAP ac, wsAP ac lite.)

[*] From Quick guide and Wiki
https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/1536013562RB450Gx4-qg.pdf
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:PoE-Out