Community discussions

MikroTik App

alanpatx
just joined
Topic Author

RBM33G Voltage Monitoring

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi,

I have purchased a number of RBM33G boards from a retailer who states they have on-board voltage monitoring. However, when I enter "/system health print" I get a blank line. RouterOS version is 6.42.6. Can anyone confirm whether or not voltage monitoring is possible?

I was intending to use a micro-ups to trigger a script on power input loss (voltage reduction to battery level).

Thanks,

Alan

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: RBM33G Voltage Monitoring

Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:58 am

I would always be wary of what a retailer claims about a product. Best to go straight to the source. And in this case, neither the product page nor the product brochure mentions anything about voltage monitoring support or any other health monitoring.

Interestingly, your M33G behaves ever-so-slightly different than mine. For kicks, after reading your post, I tried 6.40.x and 6.42.x on mine, and "/system health print" outputs a voltage line, but it's not blank...instead it prints some preposterously-high (and very inaccurate) number:
`
[admin@MikroTik] > /system health print  
  voltage: 79.2V
`
However, there is no System > Health menu in Winbox for this board, which tells me for sure that MikroTik did not intend for this model to have support for health monitoring (it's not just that it is broken and the software needs fixing).

In contrast, I can confirm for you that the hEX (750Gr3), which is based on the same SoC/platform (mmips), does have System > Health and it lists both voltage and temperature, both of which show reasonable numbers.

-- Nathan

alanpatx
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:54 pm

Thanks for that. As I suspected unfortunately. Any ideas if I could find another way to get an input into this board to trigger a script? I can't find a lot of info on the board other than the spec sheet. There are a bunch of pins on the board. Any idea if there are any I/O pins that could be monitored by script?

SiB
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:13 pm

alanpatx
Thanks for that. As I suspected unfortunately. Any ideas if I could find another way to get an input into this board to trigger a script?
Any idea if there are any I/O pins that could be monitored by script?
No, ROS not share a GPIO pins and action's. You can blink a LED or control LED and this is only that possible.
By incomming traffic lte/ethernet you can do some stuff. Example snmp get with proper OID can run script's and return his put.
I can't find a lot of info on the board other than the spec sheet. There are a bunch of pins on the board.

Send request to support@mikrotik.com

MikeRoTik
just joined

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:42 pm

I am also using RBM33G boards for a project. I am very disappointed that there is no voltage monitoring via /system health, that there are no additional GPIO pins, and that the RTS/CTS/DTR and DSR pins are inactive on the serial ports. Additionally, there is no realistic way to write/read to the serial port via Mikrotik scripting. I believe that someone has been successful enabling serial port logging to a file - not really an ideal solution, more of a hack.

My project includes a power supply that has dry contacts for AC and battery failure. I was hoping to monitor these dry contacts along with the router supply voltage.

jebz

Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:51 am

I am also using RBM33G boards for a project. I am very disappointed that there is no voltage monitoring via /system health, that there are no additional GPIO pins, and that the RTS/CTS/DTR and DSR pins are inactive on the serial ports. Additionally, there is no realistic way to write/read to the serial port via Mikrotik scripting. I believe that someone has been successful enabling serial port logging to a file - not really an ideal solution, more of a hack.

My project includes a power supply that has dry contacts for AC and battery failure. I was hoping to monitor these dry contacts along with the router supply voltage.
For the situation a RB33G is likely to be used in I think the temperature and voltage monitoring is very desirable. If you aren't using all the ethernet ports you can loop back the TX and RX pairs and check for ethernet link status for your contact closure monitoring.

MikeRoTik
just joined

Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:34 am

For the situation a RB33G is likely to be used in I think the temperature and voltage monitoring is very desirable.

I would say it's a necessity.

If you aren't using all the ethernet ports you can loop back the TX and RX pairs and check for ethernet link status for your contact closure monitoring.

That's not really an option. I'm going to try to connect the serial port RX and TX to a relay contact. I'm hoping that if I write to the serial port with logging enabled, I will see the command echo'd in the log file when the lines are tied together. There are USB GPIO modules but getting drivers to load and communicating with them could prove challenging.

xvo
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:21 pm

that there are no additional GPIO pins
Have you seen this in the latest 6.48beta48?
*) m33g - added support for "/system gpio" menu (CLI only);
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=163308#p822721

MikeRoTik
just joined

Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:27 am

*) m33g - added support for "/system gpio" menu (CLI only);
That's very promising news. Thanks for that. I just emailed support asking for documentation of the IDC header pins on the RBM33G and for the documentation for the /system gpio menu.