Community discussions

Newberry01
just joined
Topic Author

How to set RB750Gr3 DHCP to not push Gateway address

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:25 am

Noob question;
How do I set (can I set) an RB750Gr3 DHCP to not push the Gateway or DNS? I only want DHCP addresses.
I need DHCP addresses in a network of devices that operate using UDP. I know it sounds odd...

The computers in this setup have 3 NIC's.
Eth0, fully operational DHCP for NAS and local file sharing LAN and corp. WAN access.
Eth1, static IP (completely unique addresses) for AoIP, synchronizing DAW's, etc. The software has settings to choose specific networks to communicate on.
These 2 networks are always present and configured as described.

Eth2 (a USB GigE adapter) is for ethernet attached control surfaces for sound mixing. These applications also have settings to choose which NIC to use.
These ethernet control surfaces on Eth2 say they are UDP and not TCP, but are always easier to connect, manage and operate if there is a DHCP server on the segment (the controllers may cause problems and are inconsistant without a DHCP server). However, having a DHCP server (that also provides a Gateway address and the address for DNS) on this network sometimes confuses the host, which must operate from the DHCP on Eth0.

This setup is variable, sometimes these devices are connected sometimes they are not. It depends upon the clients using our space.

I'm hoping we can configure the RB750Gr3 to provide DHCP and not push a Gateway or DNS.
Thanks for listening.
Newberry01

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: How to set RB750Gr3 DHCP to not push Gateway address

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:15 pm

It's pretty simple: just don't fill in the spaces for gateway or DNS...
mt-dhcp.png
-- Nathan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Newberry01
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:18 am

Hi Nathan,
Thank you for your reply.

I don't recognize that GUI in your snap shots. So far, all I'm using is the web interface built into the RB750Gr3 and I haven't found any place to remove those IP's for DNS and Gateway. Should I access it using a different method?
Brian

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:10 am

It's WinBox, nice and admin-friendly RouterOS GUI for Windows. Wonderful thing.

But all settings are also in WebFig. Look at IP->DHCP Server->Networks.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

Newberry01
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:49 am

Yes, I'm seeing how WinBox can be useful tool.
I found IP->DHCP Server->Networks, accidentaly deleted the original, made a new config without Gateway and without DNS entries, but hosts are still seeing the IP of the DHCP Server as the DNS server. Is there another setting I have to change in another config? I'll try releasing the current DHCP leases.

You both have guided me with good information and I'm close to the solution.

Newberry01
just joined
Topic Author

Re: How to set RB750Gr3 DHCP to not push Gateway address  [SOLVED]

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:22 am

Renewing the DHCP leases wasn't anything.
I went to IP->DNS and disabled the Static config which didn't stop the DNS server. So I re-enabled the Static config.
Next, from the IP>DNS page I unchecked Allow Remote Requests and that seems to do it.

Now I have a DHCP Server which doesn't push Gateway nor DNS, which is what I am after.

Thank you NathanA and Sob for taking the time to respond and encourage me with your advice.

Brian