Community discussions

MikroTik App

nadeemanjum
just joined
Topic Author

RB1100 dead

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Dear Experts,

I have purchased new routerboard RB1100AHX4 Certainly due to unknown reason its Routeros is deleted.

now the current situation is my RB1100 is not coming up and not showing anything on ethernet by using Winbox. Even I can't see its mac address in neighbors. Ethernet Led's are also not working. Only one blue light is on (constant)
Reset is also not working.
Kindly helps me how to fix this router.

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: RB1100 dead

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:50 pm

Get (or make) a null-modem cable and RS232 to USB converter (unless you still have very old PC with RS232 port).
You should get BIOS in terminal when booting and then use it to boot from LAN and do the netinstall.
If you don't even get BIOS on serial, you can try using backup booter (not sure if RB1100 have internal pad you have to short or other method... consult documentation).
If you still can't boot, it's probably some hardware fault. Checking all voltages coming from PSU is a good start if you get this far.

EDIT: Looking again on your photo, some LAN leds seems to be glowing slightly. I have seen this on a few routerboards before and it always was caused by old and bad (bulging) capacitors on board. After I replaced them all, router was working again correctly. So certainly check that. All electrolytic caps on board around switching power supply needs to be replaced. This is very common failure for routerboards and quite easy to fix as well.

nadeemanjum
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Dear

No ethernet LED is glowing at all.

I am surprised after I press reset button why ACT LED is not blinking.

it's a brand new router.

Let me try on access this router on the console port.

Regards,

LEA

Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 pm

If there is no response when the reset button is pressed, then the CPU is not working at this device.
This may be due to the fact that the CPU does not receive power.
There is a simple diagnosis option.
Open the cover, turn on the device, wait 2 minutes.
Unplug the device.
Touch the electronic components (chips) on the central printed circuit board and metal radiators (It is best to use the device thermal imager).
If you find that the metal radiator is cold, it means the CPU is not working because there is no voltage on it.
And if the heatsink is very hot, it will mean damage to the CPU.

nadeemanjum
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:55 am

Dear Experts,

I checked CPU heat sink is hot. This means CPU is working.

I arranged the console cable DB9 (Null modem cable). Now I can see the following message on console:

"
Annapurna Labs stage 2: stage2_eth3_ram_loader v1.65.1
main.c:000001E9
"

What this means and how to fix it.

Regards,

LEA

Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:50 pm

Try the option to restore firmware via Netinstall:
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=133750&sid=0d8c838c ... 0e16af4ada

If it does not help, then most likely the hardware problem. In this case, you will have to contact the authorized MikroTik service center.
In addition, I do not see any problems, the delivery of this device under warranty to the service center, unless of course you acquired it legally.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:16 am

Annapurna Labs stage 2: stage2_eth3_ram_loader v1.65.1
main.c:000001E9
`
Is that the only thing you see on serial console? Did you have it plugged in before powering it up, and when you powered it up it only printed those 2 lines on the console and nothing else?

You said in your original post that "Reset is also not working". Did you make sure that you were pressing Reset *before* powering it on? If not then please try again to hold the Reset button in while it has no power, and continue to hold Reset while you plug power in. Do this while you also have the serial console cable connected, and tell us *everything* that you see on the serial console when you do this.

-- Nathan

eider

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Ethernet should be connected to ETH13 which is labeled as POE/BOOT if you wish to use Netinstall.

nadeemanjum
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Dear Experts,

I don't think it is a hardware problem. It is a pure software problem.

But I don't know how to fix it.

If anyone knows do let me know. Is there any way to take out boot prom and rewrite is with boot prom writer (like we do with desktop motherboards, re-writing of BIOS). that method would be much easier. Experts need your comments.

Thanks,

grusu
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Just a remark: Maybe it's not a good idea to put the router over a speaker with such a powerful magnet.

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:24 pm

I don't think it is a hardware problem. It is a pure software problem.
`
You may be right. But you also passed by all advice and requests for further information. The answers to the questions I asked would have taken 5 minutes at most for you to collect and then post here, but you decided instead to ignore them. Nobody can help you if you can't answer simple questions.

Good luck,

-- Nathan

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Based on this topic it seems the bootloader is damaged. You may find more advice here:

viewtopic.php?t=133750

NathanA
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:30 am

Based on this topic it seems the bootloader is damaged. You may find more advice here:

viewtopic.php?t=133750
`
That's an interesting thread; thanks for unearthing it.

Regardless, there should always be a backup bootloader even if the main one is damaged. That is what is engaged when you hold down Reset *BEFORE* applying power. This is why I was trying to be explicitly clear both in my instructions and in the questions that I was asking 'nadeemanjum'.

In the thread you linked to, the original poster there made some mention about lack of a backup booter on his:
`
No backup loader.. The router had just rebooted after partitioning, so the backup was still blank.
`
...but his description here betrays a lack of understanding: Netinstall does not touch the bootloader at all. He was talking about the state of RouterOS (which isn't even installed with active and backup copies by Netinstall anyway! if you want a backup RouterOS on a device with a NAND large enough to accommodate this, you have to choose to repartition it yourself!) which has nothing to do with the bootloader.

It appears that later on in that thread, he, too, said that when he pressed Reset that nothing happened for him...until he tried holding it down for a long time, after which apparently the backup bootloader finally engaged. He said he had to hold the Reset button down on his for 15 minutes before it worked!!! I'd guess that this is a bug of some kind...

So, to 'nadeemanjum', try this:

BEFORE applying power:
`
  • Connect a serial console cable to your device
  • Start up your terminal session on the other side of that serial cable
  • Press and hold the RESET button
  • ...THEN apply power to the unit while continuing to hold RESET
  • If nothing happens, then apparently wait 15 minutes!!
  • If this doesn't work, then whatever you capture over the serial console, paste ALL of it here.
`
If you get nothing out over the serial console while pressing and holding RESET, then power it up again without holding RESET and capture *everything* that is transmitted over the serial port and paste it here, not just a snippet of a couple of lines.

-- Nathan